(Live)Streaming audio from Mac/PC but video from iPhone possible?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by tzzsmk, Mar 24, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

sounds simple and one would expect such functionality to be possible within Apple's closed ecosystem, but apparently Google search results are bloated with scam links instead, so I can't find it myself,

my question is - is it possible to Stream (Live) on YouTube/Facebook whatever, use audio output from my audio interface plugged into Mac/PC and iPhone camera for video, simultaneously somehow ??

closest I've been is Airfoil which can send audio from PC/Mac to iPhone, but once I launch the Camera app on iPhone, audio slowly fades out :dunno:

3. Fufutos

Fufutos Member

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I've ran across that iPhone app (plugin) - 16 bucks sheesh, why is it paid when OBS itself is free open source,

anyway, since you mentioned your experience, how's the latency/sync with such multiple sources in OBS, and do you use iPhone wired or wirelessly (NDI I guess)?

5. recycle

recycle Guest

Put your smartphone aside, it is not built for this type of use, you would end up going crazy with frustration. Also, because of the lens optics, I find smartphone footage really "boring". A good setup for your video/audio live could be a DSLR camera with HDMI out, then a video capture device and a computer with an audio interface for the mixer input.
    For live feeds I used the Blackmagic Ultrastudio https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio those professional video capture devices are designed for this particular needs. (Starting from $145)
    You can also try the Elgato Cam Link https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link-4k it is a consumer video capture, but I cant say if it works properly. ($130)
    To post produce audio/video sources and encode your feed, you want to install OBS on computer

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

As far as the MacOS is concerned, you need:

1. Open Broadcaster Studio as a virtual Studio/Hub to bring all the Audio and Video Sources togeter: https://obsproject.com/
    This has to be setup of course with all the stuff the audience should see and hear. But it's pretty simple.

2. You need to route Audio. On Mac it's a pain to route simultaneous audio from different sources internally, so you need Rougue Amoeba Loopback to easily create and configure Audio Devices from Apps or Hardware inputs: https://www.rogueamoeba.com/loopback/This is what I use to live stream my beat making video to facebook. But I use a webcam instead of an iPhone in my setup. There are other options, but loopback is by far the most reliable and easy way, imo.

3. Since you use an iPhone, you should use the App "Camera for OBS studio" to bring the video stream over to your computer. Since I don't own an iPhone here's a tutorial:

4. You need to copy the streaming key from facebook into OBS Settings for streaming. You get this key if you go into your facebook timeline where you post stuff, click on the Menu with the three dots and select "Live Video". Then a new Windows opens with a Dropdown Menu called "get started". Select "use steam key". Copy the Key and paste it in OBS Preferences under Stream > Platform: Facebook Live.

5. Then you can test if it's working by clickig on "Start stream" in OBS. You'll see a preview Wndow on the Facebook site. If you get a picture you can hit the get live button on facebook and then you're live

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'll thoroughly examine various ways and report back,

I briefly tried yesterday it's actually possible to use iPhone screen sharing over lightning-usb cable directly without any 3rd party app - quality isn't that great, but at least I can simultaneously use RME UFX multichannel audio so the sound is great in first place...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

[UPDATE]
    fuck it, I'll just use that camera from MacBook directly, looks about same like phone :rofl:

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Best Answer