Live Sound Question: How much is needed?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Nimbuss, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Hey everyone. hope you're all well.
    My question is not to complicated but feel free to add onto my idea.

I will be setting up a live rig for an outside event soon and will be ordering in equipment, so far my rough config looks like this:

Mixer -> EQ -> Crossover -> Amps -> ?Speakers?. (Stage monitors are active)

My question is, will having x2 Double 15" speakers and x2 18" Subs be enough for a variety of different acts? Eg: Bass heavy hip hop, DJ mixing house music etc? If not, what would you recommend? The crowd will probably be between 150-300 people.

I've never done a gig this big and have usually used underpowered setups (painful experience) in terrible sounding halls , so any info which will get me the best output possible would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :bow:

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Lows/Mid Lows frequencies seem to be nice,but what about the other frequencies? You need absolutely for example 2 speakers with 1x12"each, 2 speakers with 2x10" each and 2 tweeters high power

4. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Good point, i'll be using a Behringer CX3210 crossover which has 3 bands.

So basically what I can do is use 3 pairs of speakers, 1 for each band correct?

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I don't know your budget, but I have an Allen & Heath Qu-16 mixer. It boasts beautifully sounding pres, 4 rack effects, flexible routing, 4 mono and 3 stereo outputs, RTA analysis, 31-Band EQ, compressor, gate, and eq in every channel, iPad control, and light weight. The cheapest ones without a fader rack will cost less than $1500 street. With the faders and onbaord controls it goes for around $2000, even less. That's all you need except for powered speakers.

6. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Ahh having a mixer like that would be nice, unfortunately i'll be hiring all of this equipment on behalf of a client. The nearest audio shop only has very basic equipment in their stocklist. I'll definitely consider a system like that if I were to go slightly bigger.

7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

If I were you,I would take 12" speakers for Mid range instead of 15",if you have only 2x3 speakers.That would be better,if not you won't have good mediums,only low and high frequencies.