Live lost the connection to the AU v2 plugin (Ableton Live 11 - MAC M1)

Discussion in 'Live' started by johntitor2051, Jan 31, 2024.

1. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

Hello! sometimes my au plugins (the ones that runs via auhostcompatibility aka rosetta) lost the connection and force me to close and re-open the session. I can't freeze the tracks since it causes ableton crash...anyone experiencing this?

i'm running ableton 11.3.11 in native mode, on a macbook pro m1 with os ventura

(The only solution that i know would be updating those plugins but i can't since the cracks are not available in U2B)

IMG_1178.jpg

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you install any other new PA plugins recently? Specifically, some of the ones from Moria? I had the same thing happen some weeks ago. I just reinstalled all of PA "complete" from R2R after deleting the newer ones I had installed. Some new PA things will work fine, and some will break your install. It seems like there is no rhyme or reason to which ones will do it.

Check your other PA plugins and they will probably be asking for authorization also. The version I use is very old, 2015. But they all work and are 64 bit. I am just thinking it is your PA plugins with problems because of the Noveltech one you are showing in the screenshot.

4. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

it could be this! the strange thing is that happens when i'm not working on the session, but temporarily doing something else; which plugins from moria? i'm using like you the 2015 cracked version ahahaha, maybe it's too old, i'm also using new plugins (legit pa) they work both cracks and legit. Ableton fully supports au intel so this is a mystery...

5. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

Many of the new plugins will break your install, if they are from PA. Did you firewall them all in and also edit hosts file? If so, the problem is because of some combination of installed files, or installation sequence. You would have to test with different installation orders and then running longer to figure it out. But main point is, the same thing can happen with those plugins on an Intel Mac. I don't think it is related to the fact it's on Apple Silicon, but it still could be.

7. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

For now i think that the problem is the combination of multiple au intel plugins, if i use only few of them the problem goes away..

it’s difficult to test every single plugin and reinstalling each of them again since this issue happens only 3/4 times per day

8. fjodor

fjodor Member

From my experience it's connected to a plugin which I use and which is not arm ready. I can still use it though if I typed in the right commands in terminal to use it and codesign and so on. But it's still it's not ARM ready. Will use more cpu as well. It loses the connection after a while. For example I'm used to use vintage warmer on some busses..can't freeze those...so that's quite annoying if this happens.
    Important first save and then load the project again, because the changes you may made are not saved most of the time.

My workaround is using bluecat's patchwork. Never had an issue again.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  9. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

L
    I can’t even freeze tracks because when i try to do it after the au connection error, ableton crashes and force me to reload the project. I’m gonna try the patchwork at this point if it’s stable! Thanks

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am not using Apple SIlicon. So let me ask this though, with Rosetta it is basically performing an operation to translate Intel code to ARM for use. I would like to explain this using Patchwork, if I can. It's not a direct comparison but I think you might get the idea.

Say I want to use a plugin in Patchwork, because I want to run it using 2X oversampling. The audio data stream is 24/48 going in, but then is upsampled to hit the plugin at 24/96. It is processed by the plugin as 24/96 and then stepped back down to 24/48 for the handoff to the next plugin. So that is two operations modifying the data in and out of Patchwork. If I add 2 or more plugins to Patchwork in the same insert slot, the data is still converted 2 times only. If I used 3 instances of Patchwork with only one plugin in each instance, I would be converting the data 6 times to end up with the same outcome at the end of the plugin chain. And I would expect a translation from Intel instructions to ARM, or ARM to Intel, to be a similar obstacle. If this is true, I would not mix different Rosetta translated plugins on the same channels as other ARM plugins. Actual Apple Logic AU plugins might have better results than third-party in those situations, too.

My earlier comment was just about some new plugins from Moria, breaking PA authorizations. But I only seem to have noticed this with some very recent things.

11. fjodor

fjodor Member

Important first save and then load the project again, because the changes you may made are not saved most of the time....and Ableton crashes

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  12. johntitor2051

johntitor2051 Newbie

The auth issue is true, few days ago i was installing new plugins from pa (from a release here) and i lost the license for the old 2015 release, i needed to find that bundle again i was so scaried that few years ago i decided to saved it offline in one backup folder in case i didn’t find the link anymore