Live 9 + Musiclab real Guitar

Discussion in 'PC' started by One Reason, Feb 4, 2015.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Hey folks, this has eluded me for the longest time...

if you load up Real Guitar, or any guitar VST that can 'strum' and choose 'pattern' and play chord without the DAW playing you can play perfectly.. the pattern restarts every-time you play a chord...

However... when you hit play in your DAW (live 9 for me) The timing is thrown way off.. and it appears to me that the pattern \ arp is not starting again each time u play a chord.. there's always a delay between the time I hit the keys to the time that the chord is actually played.

Its like its trying to play from somewhere in the middle of the pattern \ arp. (when the daw is recording)

Am i just not playing perfectly enough or am I missing something that is screwing up the timing.

I pretty much notice the same thing when using any arp preset in any plugin and even the external arp on my MPK 49.

i REALLY hope someone out there understands what Im asking and has a solution... its killing me

and its probably something very simple.

To summarize... no problem with timing when playing while DAW is stopped... and completely different, out of time.. while recording\playing.

How do i get the timing the same when Daw is stopped or.. recording me???

Thanks in advance folks !

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Hey one reason, I assume latency isn't the issue here right? obviously you know if you are working with a buffer of 512 or something, the note one is going to be considerably late.... Is there a "reset" button on the arp in the vst? I know I have some loop trigger libs for Kontakt that unless something is on what the library or Kontakt considers the "one", then it will pick up in the middle of the arp sequence... unless a certain button is depressed in the gui, which makes it reset etc... Could it be something like that? Sorry, not familiar with RealGuitar, but I know exactly the phenomena you are speaking of, and it can be frustrating....

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

yeah my buffer is set at 128, latency shouldn't be the issue.. Maybe you are referring to a legato switch? but I dont see one on realguitar..

Thanks for your reply. :mates:

5. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Yep Kontakt libraries well some does this to me in Logicx i believe its a 1/4 4/4 note tempo setting option to switch between "internal" or "host" setting dunno would like to here a remedy, and no its definitely not a latency issue in any way, almost laugh when i read that, but please someone with a answer would be nice :wink:

6. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

yeah One Reason, 128 should not be a buffer setting at all! :) ... I will look into it, but I have noticed that with some of these libraries, at least with Kontakt and Ableton, it's like it wants to be started on an "even' numbered bar or something, had similar issues with Arturia's Spark, it just seems to want to start or consider the 1 of the pattern rather ambiguously, and I usually don't have the time to figure it out, so just bounce it, and move it, far from an elegant solution admittedly... :)...

But hope you are well One Reason! :mates:

7. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

I really don't have an answer to this because I use the same vst with a different DAW. Do you notice the same lag if you drag and drop the midi patterns in your sequencer?

8. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

No, if playing the midi patterns, its fine... but chopin.. if u would, try play RealGuitar in Pattern mode..while daw is stopped... you will see that its VERY responsive...

Then... play the same chords \ keys in time... while recording \ DAW playing, and see if there isn't a noticeable delay or difference.

and please report your results?

a good test is.. just press play or record in ur DAW and then... keep starting a single chord over and over in Realguitar.. and see if every single time it plays immediately or not or if it has to start exactly when the pattern starts. (slight delay).. sometimes?

Same thing happens in every DAW for me.. when recording.. as opposed to just playing with the DAW stopped.

Cheers mate :mates:

9. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Did it in Sonar X1, Cantabile and Reaper... I was not able to replicate the problem and didn't notice any kind of lag (see the end of the post). The only difference I noticed is that when the DAW playback is in "stop mode" I can audition the pattern and this starts from the beginning but in "play mode" the pattern start playing silently with the DAW and comes in when I press the chord. As far as I can understand this is by design and it's explained in the manual (far better than I did):

Auditioning Pattern
    Host sequencer in stop mode (or RealGuitar in standalone run)
    Press chord on your MIDI keyboard to trigger pattern playback that will be visualized by position cursor moving along the Pattern view. Pattern will perform your chord(s) until you release the keys. Pattern stops when you release the keys and starts from the beginning when you press chord again. Pattern will continue playing if you change chords legato way (if at least one key is constantly pressed).
    Press Latch button or MIDI Sustain Pedal to turn pattern playback to 'Latch' mode - in that case pattern will continue playing the last chord even if you release all chord keys.
    Host sequencer in playback mode
    Start your host sequencer. Now pattern will 'silently' follow host's playback until you press chord on a MIDI keyboard (or alternatively insert chord changes to MIDI track). Releasing chord keys mutes the performance. Pressing chord again will continue pattern playing in synch with your host’s tempo/beats.
    Press Latch button or Sustain Pedal to turn pattern playback to 'Latch' mode - in that case pattern will continue playing the last chord even if you release all chord keys.
    Note, that using sequencer in playback mode allows you to easily choose pattern(s) for your song by previously entering chords to a MIDI track and selecting patterns in Pattern Manager 'on the fly' along with the song.

The only "little lag" I could notice did happen in the second mode when I inserted the chord in between a change of keys in the strumming pattern. But If I match the time of the strumming keys there is no problem.

10. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks my friend, im at work now, ill look at that stuff when i get home, I appreciate you taking the time. :mates:

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Thanks Man.. i think, i guess I've got it sorted out now, preciate it. :mates:

12. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Glad you solved your issues! :wink: