Live 9 and M/S (no EQ)

Discussion in 'Live' started by thantrax, Jan 2, 2018.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

I'm "developing" my 1st track using Live 9.
    Surfing Live 9 plug-ins list (Audio Effects) I haven't found something like Bitwig "mid-side split". It seems the only way to split a stereo signal (mid and side) is using the "Audio effect Rack" + "Utility" (there are some videos on YouTube). The result is ok but the CPU load increase.

Do you know something else (tools, tips 'n' tricks) to help me?

Note:
    My goal is to add a little bit of spice on side only

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

4. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Unpatch Your_Audio from Master.
    Make 2 new tracks, Mid and Side.
    Select Your_Audio as input on both, monitor=input.
    On Mid, put utility->mono; utilities->difference on Side (or just load utility, and turn Width to 0 on Mid, 200 on Side).
    You're done. CPU hit = 0.

5. spyfx

spyfx Guest

Hi @thantrax Happy New Year !,doing the same thing i have 0% CPU load increase.

you can do m/s with 2 eq8's in series one set to m & the other to s on your tracks & master bus,there is also oversampling mode on eq8 by right-clicking on the interface & selecting that,
    hope this info helps you :wink: :bow:

6. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Be careful with M/S spices, sometimes it sounds amazing and suits the instrument, but other times it's easy to mess things up and turn things alien/weird and you won't hear it at first. It just gives that weird unnatural blurry stereo feeling that your brain doesn't understand.

But then again, sometimes that's exactly what you want. :)

Main takeaway: M/S processing is risky and destructive to the naturalness, realism, understandability of stereo. It often affects instruments in weird unexpected ways. M/S compression or amplitude modulation type effects are worse than M/S EQ for this. We've all gone a bit M/S crazy these days, simply because it's an easy effect to program so everyone has added it. But keep in mind just because you can do it does not mean it's going to do good things for your sound, far from that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

@Satai

Agree.
    My preferred spice is saturation/distortion and I apply it on synth "Lead/Pad" (side) when it sounds too clean to me

@spyfx

Hi, Happy New Year. I'll test tools again. Maybe the CPU load was a synth side effect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List