Live 11 VSTs missing - cannot codesign Komplete Kontrol & others

Discussion in 'Live' started by heero, Aug 23, 2021.

1. heero

heero Newbie

Hi all,
    The subject says it all - most of my VST's are missing from Live 11. I cannot codesign Komplete Kontrol & many others. I usually get an error in terminal.

Can anyone advise? Could you let me know what release you're using of Komplete? I own an S61 and use legit plugins and still no luck.

Thanks!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

The first thing I would ask is about Codesigning. Because it is the easiest to quickly fix, if that is a problem. I would use BatChmod, Permissions Reset, and/or Codesigner apps. (esp. since you mention terminal error) These types of errors can look completely random or unrelated. Until you fix any permissions issues, you could end up chasing your tail.

make a backup of your plugins folders and you can try anything you want with files next.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  4. heero

heero Newbie

I am resetting permissions, xattr, chmod 777, using batchmod as well... then codesigning in terminal with -fs and -deep. No matter what I do when codesigning I get the error:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/_CUSTOM/Komplete Kontrol.vst/Contents/MacOS/Komplete Kontrol: replacing existing signature
    /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/_CUSTOM/Komplete Kontrol.vst/Contents/MacOS/Komplete Kontrol: unsealed contents present in the bundle root

5. heero

heero Newbie

Best Answer
    Welp I figured it out - this will help all people who are trying to get Komplete Kontrol VST to work in Live 10.1.14 and Live 11...

Just for some background, the REASON everyone wants the VST (not the AU) is because Live does not support midi routing via AU. People like to setup an instance of Komplete Kontrol and then use the excellent Komplete scale and chord options as they play their keyboard... then they route that keyboard to any other track/VST and it will play the scale, chord, arp, etc... It's EXCELLENT for writing.

THE PROBLEM: The issue is that codesigning is always blocked on certain VST's and the user is given a vague error like mine. "Unsealed contents in the bundle root" basically means that there are contents in the root directory (first directory) of the bundle that should not be there. The reason we have all been struggling is because the culprit file is HIDDEN and doesn't even show if you enable hidden files or folders.

THE SOLUTION: You have to use terminal to find the hidden file and remove it:
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Change directory into the VST in question (for us, Komplete Kontrol.VST):
    cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst
    3. Use the ls -a command in terminal to list ALL files including hidden (ls = list, -a = all files including hidden).
    ls -a
    4. You will see the Contents folder (which should be there) and the culprit file .DS_Store* that should NOT be there. .DS_Store is a file that MacOS automatically creates anytime you look into a folder using 'Finder'. The file then follows the folder everywhere it goes, including when it's archived into a bundle like this.
    5. Delete the offending file using terminal command (which is case sensitive):
    rm -f .DS_Store*

Now you can go ahead and run the usual commands:
    sudo xattr -cr /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst
    sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst

chmod 777 /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst
    sudo codesign -fs - /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst/
    sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Komplete\ Kontrol.vst/Contents/MacOS/Komplete\ Kontrol

I like to be thorough :)
    HOPE THIS HELPS!