Live 11 shortcut issue

Discussion in 'Live' started by Nofolobricity, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

H! guys!

Does anyone know why Ctrl+5 isn't working? It doesn't switch between fixed and adaptive grids. It's also annoying that developers made the fixed 1/16 grid by default in the new version. And there's no way to change it!

Win 11 x64 21H2

Live 11 Suite 11.0.11

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Maybe this will help you:

Keyboard shortcuts not working
    • Live Versions: 11, 10
    • Operating System: All
    As of Live 10, various keyboard shortcuts work without a modifier. If the shortcuts don't work:

1. Make sure that the Computer MIDI Keyboard is deactivated.

[​IMG]

2. Make sure that there are no Key mappings which conflict with the shortcuts.

3. Certain plug-ins can hijack the keyboard when their GUI is open. Close all plug-in GUIs and try again. If it's still not working, try in a completely blank Set instead.

4. Certain taskbar utilities may use the same keyboard shortcuts. Close them or disable their keyboard shortcuts.

4. Certain graphics cards (especially those geared for gaming), have keyboard shortcuts which conflict with Live's shortcuts. Open your graphics card control panel and disable these keyboard shortcuts.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000093570-Keyboard-shortcuts-not-working

4. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

Thank you! Unfortunately I have already seen this article and tried out.
    Hm. Am I really the only one who ran into this problem? :)

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Nofolobricity, understand, maybe this:

1.) unable to zoom grid? (clip view)
    https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=55498

Hi Paddy,

That grid setting works for MIDI clips only, so you can write notes on different grid level. For audio clip, the grid is fixed.

Regards,
    Amaury

2.) I'm not understanding how both CTRL keys behaving intermittently precludes a faulty keyboard. If anything, that supports my suggestion. Try this:

Run the unit with an external keyboard for a period of time. If the CTRL key problem goes away, the laptop's keyboard is faulty. If the problem follows the keyboard, you're looking at something odd with the OS.

3.)
    Configuring the grid – Tutorial zu Ableton Live
    www.linkedin.com/learning/ableton-live-10-essential-training/configuring-the-grid-2

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  6. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

Of course, my problem is about MIDI clips only, yes.
    I tried the test with my keyboard. It still doesn't work
    BUT:
    I loaded the project that I started a couple of days ago and the shortcut Ctrl+5 works there! How come?!

7. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

Nofolobricity,
    i just tried ctrl+5, and it doesnt work. ctrl+1 - ctrl+4 work fine, only the ctrl+5 doesnt work. strange. im using ableton 11.0.11 r2r, under win7. really strange indeed!

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

At least we can now rule out that the keyboard is defective. Now we just have to know. whether this is an Ableton bug or a Windows bug. I think we're a long way ahead. You would have to send the problem to Ableton Support.If a lot of people complain, the programmer will have to take a look.
    Annoying problem if you rely 100% on keyboard shortcuts! I had the same problem and the fix is very easy. You will need to uninstall your keyboard driver and restart your computer and your CTRL keys will function once again. To do this:

1) Click Start
    2) Control Panel
    3) Printers and Other Hardware
    4) Keyboard
    5) In the Keyboard Properties window, click Hardware
    6) Click Properties
    7) Click Driver
    8) Click Uninstall, click OK
    9) Restart your Computer

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-working/aa6719c6-9787-4e99-9c57-7ea89c5dbaeb

Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working? Try these 5 Fixes.
    https://nutsandboltsspeedtraining.com/powerpoint-tutorials/keyboard-shortcuts-not-working/

Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working (5 Fixes)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

Sounds like a solution but I loaded the project i started a couple days ago and Ctrl+5 is working! So presumably it's the problem for new projects.
    BTW, I've deleted already my template thereby alowing my LIve to load the factory project settings

10. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

im not sure... they somewhat tolerated the cracks in the past, but if theyll give support? for a r2r version? i feel better while staying under the carpet :)

, are you an ableton user too? does ctrl-5 work for you? which os?

would you be so kind to experiment a bit? load your old project, copy it, and delete its content?

11. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

I loaded 2 more projects. One project responds to Ctrl+5 and the other one not!
    I did the next:
    I opened the project where Ctrl+5 worked. I tried to delete all tracks and just created a new midi channel. And Ctrl+5 isn't working on it. So I think some settings or instruments on a channel can cause enabling or disabling the Ctrl+5 shortcut. So we need to understand this

P.S. I closed and opened again the poject where Ctrl+5 was working. Created a new midi channel. Added a midi clip and Ctrl+5 is working! Mystic

PS2. I deleted all channels. Created a new MIDI track added a midi clip and it's now working. What is going damn on

PS3. I tried to save this as a template, closed the Ableton, opened again and the Ctrl+5 isn't working again.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Window 10 - 64 Bit - I deleted Ableton recently. I've worked Studio One and CTLR-5, after entering it it jumps to the pen tool.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Maybe you should create your own key commands.
    Key Mapping --> Windows --> Control + K

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Ableton | Tri-Tip Tuesday: Episode 4

14. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Oh that's for Mac - sorry sorry sorry ...! I'll delete right again.

Key Mapping --> Windows --> Control + K

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts in Ableton | Tri-Tip Tuesday: Episode 4

Just for your information, Studio One has a Keyboard Shortcut Manager. You can then assign the keys differently.

Attached Files:

16. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

i tried mapping, both key & also midi. it doesnt work. the grid settings are (on win) via the right click menu in the midi editor, or on the top-of-the-window menu. both are not mappable :-(
    wtf, some of my old projects work with ctrl-5, some not. im on win 7, youre on win 11. im 100% sure its an live bug. nofolobricity, are you a legit user, and able to report a bug at ableton?

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @ thomas78 for trying it out.

Yoo, I found the problem and solution: This AMD Adrenaline Update (for AMD graphics cards) has some new gaming features which can be activated via shortcut and it shares some of them with ableton. Seems like this AMD stuff hijacks the input and ableton doesn't recognize it anymore. Disabling all the shortcuts in the AMD software fixed the problem. https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=237051

18. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

Unfortunately no. I have only 3 projects. 2 of them are 2 weeks old :D because I've been using Ableton Live only for 3 weeks. And I still not so sure do I want to buy it or no. So I use not legit version yet.
    BTW it's a good DAW but there are some annoying things like this shortcut! This upsets me that there's no a plugin manager like for example in Fl Studio or Studio One!

That would be great if I had have an AMD processor. I actually have Intel

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Check your keys with other programs.
    What is Ctrl + 5 keyboard shortcut for? https://defkey.com/what-means/ctrl-5
    The AMD tip was for @ thomas78. Your keys are fine.
    I also tested Ableton, then deleted it and installed Cakewalk - Sonar Platimium, for 32 bit plugins and not 4K plugins. I record under Studio One (Best Workflow DAW).

20. Nofolobricity

Nofolobricity Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

windows takes the first shortcut mapping. So if a program maps ctrl+5 to something and then comes Live, windows will take the first one.

@BEAT16 could be right.

I had a similar issue with Camtasia and Live a while ago.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List