Live 11.1 Performance on M1

Discussion in 'Live' started by BigM, Feb 1, 2022.

1. BigM

BigM Guest

Installed latest Live 11.1 just now for little bit of testing. Here are the results. Running Live 11 demo project@ 44.1Khz/512 Buffer Size Cpu hit is around 30% on a M1(not pro/max).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Feel free to share your experience.

Edit: Ableton live benchmark results for this test> https://music-prod.com/ableton-live-mac-m1-benchmark-list/

Running 100 tracks and cpu hit is around 50%-60%

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2022
  3. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Intriguing, but... can you reference it against some sort of Intel benchmark? Not really sure what I'm looking at.

Happy? Sad?

4. BigM

BigM Guest

Currently i don't have an intel mac. But you can see some results in benchmark webpage. Hope others will share their benchmarks for a good comparison.
    Definitely better than rosetta, idle cpu load is way better and can see a clear performance boost.BTW I even can run more than 100 tracks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2022
  5. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Very good.

It looks like two of your images aren't displaying. Perhaps those would help the enthusiasm?

6. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Sorry... by instances, do you mean Tracks?

7. BigM

BigM Guest

First time i linked those images it failed and still can't remove them. Those are same images.
    Sorry for mistake. Yes, one grand piano per track playing a chord midi.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

it says it requires an i5. I'd like to try it on my pro, but it is quad xeon. do you think the posted system requirement means it would be a waste of time to try? like comparing processor type and then quitting...

9. Audiozer

Audiozer Kapellmeister

Must mean i5 minimum, no?

Like... if you have an i3... keep walking?

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Nah not really. Do you see some reason why it should need a faster CPU than Logic 10.4? Me neither.

11. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

2015 imac here i7 i can run 100 tracks too.. in logic no problem at all. tested 100 tracks in m1.. it gives me like 30 more tracks.. can't remember exactly .. i'm not very impressed by the NEW m1 .. at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

it's barely ok for a $3,500 machine.

13. MICHAL BUSETS

MICHAL BUSETS Member

Not very impressiv. I just bought an I7 12700k 399€ and an Z690 Gigabyte Board alongside with Marple Ridge Thunderbolt 4 Card for 300€ put in my RME AiO Pro PCIe Card too and.. my Cinebench R23 Multicore around 23800 Single Core 1962 blows me away. My Ableton is total fine now for not much investment because i could sold my old 11900 for 350 bucks.
    As of Windows now fully USB4 TB4 and with my Laptop Lenovo Legion Pro as Backup and for Video rendering with RTX.. i dont see any reasons to pay 3times as much to get an apple setup anymore.

Yeah there are the more powerful Mac Pros and Server CPUs, but not for that cheap amount.

And for Power Consumption or loudness.. my Studio gear, monitors, displays, needs way more Power combined, so 100-200w max on the PC side.. doesnt matter. I bearly couldnt hear him (Noctua DualTower cooler).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  14. BigM

BigM Guest

I was able to run around 110 tracks in logic pro(which is my main daw) with sculpture, channel eq, chorus, autofilter, platinumverb in every track.(In ableton test only grand piano used)
    You are talking about a lot of money, I only paid around 600bucks for this mac and results will be much better with newer m1 pro/max models.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. MICHAL BUSETS

MICHAL BUSETS Member

I paid regular prices on a retail store, and thats my comparison..

In the future all will be better, Intel CPUs, Mac M1Maxes etc. that doesnt matter for you and me now.

And can you upgrade, lets say the cpu chip or ram etc. in the future.. me, yes - you no
    I know its hard for Apple Fans, but M1 is not the top tier Audio CPU anymore, i would wait till
    a) all Software is compatible and b) second or 3th Gen.

16. MaximalMinimal

MaximalMinimal Ultrasonic

MBP M1 Max, 251 tracks in benchmark... seems ok! :wink:

17. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

macMini doen't cost that much, but is less hot and loud than any compareable PC.

Was it ever? Custom built computers were anytime faster, hotter and louder more tinkering :)
    ______

Trackcount at high buffers are less interesting
    It get's interesting at low latency.

___

18. spncart

spncart Producer

Guys performance is great with M1/Monterey 12.1 and Ableton 11.1 but most of my plugins (all the .AU, most of the .VST and perhaps some .VST3) are not recognized by the Ableton scan, even after I do a deep Scan in settings (Option + Scan), therefore the project I'm working on is missing plugins this is very frustrating.

Stuff like Soundtoys plugins (legit), Gforce OBE (not legit but the .AU was working fine till the update)... :(

I tried Batchmod, CodeSigner on the plugins but it's not solving the problem, Ableton 11.1 can't see them.

Is this because 11.1 got rid of the old/non-native plugins for good?

Thanks.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would try using OSX Validate all AUs (again). see if it will maybe get your audio units "visible" at least. can't hurt anything.

20. spncart

spncart Producer

Can you send me the little file by PM? I can't find it available for download online for some reason. Much appreciated.

21. spncart

spncart Producer

It does seem to be an issue indeed with all my AU files (none are recognized) whereas the few .vst and .vst3 missing can be fixed by cosigning.

But none of my 300 .AU plugins are scanned. It's crazy.