Live 10: new code or just another update?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Feb 8, 2018.

1. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

any update is always new code...

what you should ask about is if it's a new audio engine or the old one. Which comes to be irrelevant as engines today are cristal clean.

What grant's the "10" is that this is a new generation that it's fully integrated with Max for live and better adapted to their controllers.

Hope this answer is helpful

2. tremor

tremor Noisemaker

Live Rocks.

3. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

Thanks god they don`t use that crapy GUI that was circulating on the net that everybody was requesting.
    The best thing in live is simplicity, like the cubase Gui that seem that your computer will explode because of so much graphics errors.
    And about the update, i never expect anything from live, bacause of that, i love it. All the companies nowaday are destroying their daws with updates nowadays, with ableton and logic in the exception.

4. blasterx

blasterx Kapellmeister

Ableton Live 9.9

5. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

People like the OP are those who are NOT BUYING the software, and yet, keep complaining about it.

6. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

10 is actually a breakthrough release for Ableton, visually its very similar to the old which is a great thing for anyone who doesn't want to spend extra time re learning previous stuff. The new features are unique but they also added cool stuff that other DAW's could do but Live couldn't until now. Still no key command for "freeze" function tho....

7. robotboy

robotboy Producer

The GUI still looks likes it was designed by someone with a very large monitor with the brightness turned up way too high.

8. groove

groove Kapellmeister

for me color of gui are horrible I prefer work several hours on disco skin of 9

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I really like live 10. But from a GUI perspective it's a MCA.
    Much less visual guidance, it's just a mess. Especially in arrangement view. Dafuq!

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Do ppl still think there is something like "code again from scratch" ?
    Most ppl probably don't know what "coding" mean... but i do.

Cubase is nearly the same code than in the 80's, same with Protools and such.
    Logic ?
    FL Studio ?
    Reaper ?
    Now wonder why you can see the same old bugs/limitations, even 30 years later ;)
    New DAWs code is only a little more "fresh", taking other DAWs into account.

Ableton is still the same base code. And a pile of features/bug fixing over it. Like any other DAW.
    On the positive side, Ableton do a LOT of efforts to stabilize their DAW.

When i need to know if a plugin is the culprit or a DAW, i open it in Ableton :wink:

So NO it is not "brand new code" (for that, you need a brand new DAW like Bitwig).
    BUT Ableton is more stable than any other DAW in my book.

11. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

It may be worth to mention that it seems that Ableton didn't integrate native support for Polyphonic Aftertouch (called Pressure) in Release 10, even if sellling a product that sends this type of Midi Data (Push).
    Most prominent pressure sensitive hardware are the Roli Seaboard Midi Keyboards. But also Arturia SparkLE, Keith McMillan controllers, and CME X Boards.
    PA is like Aftertouch but for every individual note you play.
    There are workarounds for this (channel rotation methods), but you will need Ableton Suite (for Max) and as many tracks as you need polyphony, plus a multitimbral plugin like Equator (or the same plugin on every track).
    The question about this is on the table for years. Ableton ignores them. I do like Live very much, but I won't buy it until it supports that part of the Midi implementation. I'll continue with Live Lite that came with an Akai controller for "free", if I must, until version 20.

So I wouldn't say it earns the version jump. It's just a marketing trick.
    But to be fair, it's the same with Flstudio. I do not know what the developers of these programs think about their clients, as if they woulnd't want to experiment with that kind of expressional possibilities.

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yeah they do that sometimes. See the beta forum and the years-old and utterly un-acknowledged requests for things like take comping. But "we ARE listening," they say. Whatever, I have Cubase now so I don't need comping in Live and I could never reasonably expect that they would do as thorough a job with it as Steinberg does, as Steinberg has had many years to pile features on top of features into its recording and comping workflow. Boy, track versions is a godsend.

Still, imagine a world where you could do comping in Live. Even if I'm not using it for vocal recording, Comping midi could be amazing. Record several passes of a synth riff, duplicate the clip all over a verse, comp in little variations here and there. You could fit it right into clip view as an extra selectable tab just like modulation envelopes. Even with that stupid byline that change-resistant Live users like to cling to "blah blah it's in the name, Live is for Live performance bleggghhhh puke" midi comping could be really useful to change up a synth or drum pattern on the fly.

Oh well, I've been singing this same song for a couple years now. I may as well just save it in a .txt file and copy and paste it to AS and the Ableton forum whenever I get a chance.

He didn't like that you said this apparently but you've got a point. It's not like they lost a sale.

Every time a DAW releases an update people swarm to audio forums to shit on it. See the recent Cubase release, Studio One 3, hell even FL users were complaining when 12 came out and they did A LOT with it. Holy hell the Steinberg forums were toxic when Cubase 9 came out. Then again for 9.5. It's always the same stuff. "They STILL didn't include x and y. Never supporting developer again!" or "They want me to pay x for this?!" Anyone who wanted a feature and didn't get it hurries to their keyboard to voice their displeasure. But largely the people who bought the software in the first place will buy the update. Shit I had Live 10 on preorder. Mission accomplished as far as the dev team is concerned.

13. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

Lets code 140 million lines :D for something that already exist ... i wish we could just update some people's brains

14. DJK

DJK Rock Star

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. ash1

ash1 Ultrasonic

is there a magifying glass that big woooow i never knew

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  16. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

For ya every earned Euro cent
    that is demanded to be spent
    the magnifying glaff
    cannot be big enough
    cuz if yo went in blind
    ther is no butt' "rewind".
    :guru:

17. jahpooh

jahpooh Noisemaker

Live 10 still sounds like a cardboard box..... and they are charging premium bucks. I guess though overpriced, they still have the demand so they have the power. Promised myself I would buy if they updated their sound engine. No Go. Doesnt matter how many white papers experts write, my ears are golden. Only a deaf man would miss the outrageous difference once stems are in Pro Tools.

18. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

They were running low on funds and needed a top up lol.

But seriously during the life of 9 imagine all the interfaces and controllers and other devices were sold bundled with it. A good portion of those users are now hooked and will upgrade. They may even go from lite to full version.

As much as I’d hate to say it the only way to avoid silly upgrades is with a subscription based plan that way the developer has a constant income instead of a starve and thrive cycle.

19. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

call me old fashioned, but I would have traded all the other enhancements/addons for the ability to have "takes" or "playlists" "hide tracks" and better comping....