Live 10 and 11 opening projects-strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Live' started by nmkeraj, Sep 23, 2023.

1. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Hi, I kept my projects in"D:/Ableton Life". Then I renamed the folder's name to "Ableton Live 10". When I open any project now, the folder "Ableton Live " is created on disk D. It includes appropriate folders for the project but they are empty. Why is that? It happens even after saving the old projects to a new location.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I know this might be an extravagant solution, but have you tried renaming it back yet? :knock:

Anytime you change the path for content a program might expect to find where it usually is, go into the programs preferences and update the path to the new directory location.

4. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Yes. But I saved the project into new location after renaming. I saved and collected all as well. And still it happens. Only new projects saved originally to the renamed folder don’t create such a folder.
    Or I should create the ALP project and then to install in a new location… :dunno:

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I do not use Ableton. But I just think you have created yourself a logical puzzle. Does Ableton have some kind of Cache you have to clear before it updates to any new settings, or does it also even require a reboot?

I never put any customizations into my DAW, so for me to delete and reinstall Logic would take me about 15 minutes. That would be worst case scenario, but everything would be back to default state, hopefully. In Logic we have a option to Save A Copy of the opened project; and it will dump everything into it, no matter what you pick as location.

Did you check this YT yet? It's 5 minutes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  6. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

I think when its creating folders those might be 'armed' tracks, ready to record into.

It sounds like your tracks were looking for the missing folders and you saved in a different location with no links, so it still doesn't know where to find those missing files...

When audio files are missing you get an orange bar at the bottom. Click on that and it will open up a menu on the right showing what's missing. Then you can point to the folders and do an automatic search to find everything that's missing. Just point to the upper folder and it will search down levels.

At this stage you can now 'collect all and save' and it should keep the new reference locations.

7. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

@reziduchamp The project hasn’t got any files missing. It opens without any problems. You can be right. It looks like the folder is created for recording.:wink:

@clone Your idea is very interesting and can be right. The project can remember the old location for recording. My project opens an empty folder with an empty subfolder Samples dedicated for recording. It makes Logic :) I will try to record something tomorrow. :wink:

But how the f*** change the path for recording in Ableton? This is embedded into the project. I have Saved and Collected All into a new location. :wtf:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

From what I am reading, it goes to the file location you last saved into. So if you were to do a Save Copy As and then direct it to somewhere higher in the directory hierarchy and save; it would begin using that location. I do not like to ever quote Reddit, but the people on the Live one actually use the program for their DAW ( that's more than me!). But read this one anyway: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/3wtw74/how_to_change_abletons_default_save_location/

It is apparently a long standing quirk in the program not everyone loves. People on that thread complaining about how this is handled.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Hmm, I have just discovered that only a certain project gives me the problem. Other old projects don't open the mentioned folder.