Little Snitch broke my Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Ultram, Jan 3, 2017.

1. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

Class this post as fake. I have been running Hackintoshes for 8 years now from Snow Leopard thru to Sierra all installed with Tony Macs Unibeast and have always had a legit copy of Snitch installed with zero problems. I have never come across this mentioned on any of the TonyMac forums. You either want to undermine Hackintoshes for some reason or you are using some kind of homebrew distro. I can testify that Hackintoshes are BETTER than Apple versions just as long as you use the recommended hardware and follow the guidelines correctly:like:

2. lemjello

lemjello Ultrasonic

I too had problems with LS on my Yosemite Hack. Handsoff is great, and never had a problem.

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

maybe you did something wrong when you installed Little Snitch,Little Snitch its working fine on my home and work hackintosh.

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I use both handsoff AND little snitch, both seem to work fine... (but not running hackintosh...), but agreed with others, would give that a try... pretty easy to use..

5. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

Why would I post a fake, My Machine is a pre built Hackintosh with custom Clover EFI, not Tonymac86 As I didn't fancy sinking 100+ hours building and Installing as that time could be spent better making music :wink:

So Hands off seems to be working fine thanks for all the advice here
    I'm running the Shark version which runs as a demo anyone else running this version does it turn off after 4 hours.

6. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yeah, I'm not sure why you would take the time to post a fake problem either.... seems like a lot of work for a lame hoax! :)

Glad Handsoff is helping, I think I am using the Shark version on at least one of my machines, no problem, and hasn't gone demo off or anything... but I am running an earlier OSX then you....

...and I am always offline when working..... for multiple reasons, but you know all that already! best of luck.

7. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Are you sure Little Snitch was causing the problem ?

Never met this problem related to LS whether with my previous Imac, nor with my Hackintosh runing multiboot with Yosemite/El Capitan.

Though sure you should as soon as possible make some Ghost Copies of your systems with CCC or another program and test them too.

8. kato

kato Newbie

Sorry to bump an old, semi-toxic thread, but this comes up in the first few results for Hackintosh + "little snitch." I've definitely used Little Snitch on an El Capitan hackintosh successfully, but I also know anytime you add a new kext to a hackintosh, you risk several hours of troubleshooting a non-booting hackintosh.

I was very nervous about installing Little Snitch on my clean High Sierra build because I spent two weekends dicking with this machine and having scads of fake boot images in my clover menu. Had to wipe them all, wipe my drive, and firmware flash my mobo.

I tried Hands Off! and it wouldn't even install.

Long story short, I just tried a free alternative called Lulu. Braced myself for a fail, and the machine restarted. Seems to be working.

I believed it was made by the same people who make Little Snitch. But I was wrong. They just used a similar company name. Hope this is helpful and not annoying.

9. kato

kato Newbie

One caveat I just discovered about Lulu... It's all all-or-nothing block per app, which is not nearly as flexible as Little Snitch.

So for apps that require the web, like Coda, and Downie, you can't block the author's site without also blocking its functionality. So it's only a matter of time before these apps stop working.

I'll continue with it in the hope that the whole "phoning home disables the app" thing is a vestige of previous decades...

10. Quaidless Doug

Quaidless Doug Newbie

Its highly unlikely this is a little snitch issue. More likely you've haven't setup Hackintosh right so you'll probably find a lot of other things give you kernel panics aswell. There's a 'it's working' way to do it and then there's the right way. Everything should be done via DSDT patching and not by hacked kexts. Do that and little snitch and everything else will run fine.

11. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

Using little Snitch for 2-3 Years now (Legit Version). Never had a problem. Right now im on 10.4.4

12. PsYAuM

PsYAuM Ultrasonic

I'm also using Little Snitch on a Hackintosh with El Capitan without any issues for many years

13. PsYAuM

PsYAuM Ultrasonic

I'm also using Little Snitch on a Hackintosh with El Capitan without any issues for many years

14. PsYAuM

PsYAuM Ultrasonic

accidental double post please delete

15. teknomix

teknomix Kapellmeister

less obtrusive alternative? Yeah! a real Mac... Hackintosh are the problem, not the Little Snitch... sorry and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. luminosity

luminosity Ultrasonic

I also use a Hackintosh and there are no problems for the last years i already said.
    Maybe he fucked something up, not the right settings/kext and if you dont know how todo it the right way please use windows.

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I think I remember I had issue with Little Snitch once, but it was related to kernel/kext cache due to some misconfiguration of Clover,
    when doing a major system upgrade (regardless of genuine Mac or hacky) I always do full Carbon Copy Cloner backup, and do try to boot it before upgrading anything,
    and before starting upgrade process, I usually uninstall applications and drivers which are likely to conflict with new MacOS version (Little Snitch, Tuxera etc..) and install fresh new versions after MacOS upgrade is fully done and running (offline indeed)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Bolle

Bolle Noisemaker

Why not use LuLu instead? It's free and just awesome!

19. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I've been using Little Snitch for 10 years, 5 of them on Hackintosh now and never had this issue. To me it sounds like an configuration error (kexts, clover config, etc.)

For Catalina I switched to LuLu Firewall becasue I don't like the new Version of Little Snitch.

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Or just always whave a working clone. btw the same applies to updating windows :)

Buying a Mac however opens up another option for problems: Hardware issues which you can't fix yourself.