Listening to our own voice? Is it bad for most people?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by petrrr, Sep 8, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

i was wondering if there is any science behind this or something

I don't know how common is this but some people don't like listening their own voice playing back?

is it the same as other people hear it? then why?

thanks

3. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I guess you mean because some people dislike his voice. I mean, we record our voices and then say . That's how my voice really sounds?. From what I understand, this is because when we speak or sing we not only hear our voice as another person would hear it, but we hear the resonance that the voice makes in our body, in the bones of our face, in our head, etc. In many singing books or videos, this is explained.

4. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

My voice sucks.
    Sometimes other people laugh about my voice.
    I sound like a complete moron all the time.
    No joke. :suicide:

But I can handle it. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Heh, true :rofl:
    I was a radio DJ/host for 15 years. First time I heard my voice I was like "hell no, I'm out of this job" because it was sooo strange.
    Luckilly I had great mentor who walked me through it and learned how to properly use & control my voice. He also explained to me that it is common psychological reaction because we all hear our voice differently when speaking. Our inner ear is percepting own sound differently.
    Eventually it got so much better until I was totally comfort being on air each day.

Now after all these years I still ocasionally do Voiceover work for national networks and some known brands. It became business as usual but I will never forget how horrified and disgusted I was that first time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. PersonneAudioZ

PersonneAudioZ Kapellmeister

Not liking listening to your voice for some is like others who don't like being taken in a photo or seeing your photo , a form of lack of self-esteem ... Beyond shyness ... A bit complex in my opinion ...

7. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Listening to your voice or watching yourself on video can be revealing.
    You become conscious of your quirks and mannerisms.
    Then, if desirable, they can be modified or corrected.
    For public consumption, usually:bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. notrace

notrace Producer

I remember a long time ago talking with Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys and asking him that question. He replied by saying he never liked listening to his own voice especially in the studio on an isolated vocal track. Said he'd cringe when hearing his voice isolated and played back in front of the other members. Said everyone in the group felt the same.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Voice actors:
    One example I like are the dubbing actors in films. I wondered what the actor sounds like in the original.
    I also wonder what criteria are used to select the dubbing actors. Or do you apply for a film with your voice?
    Sometimes there are films where you think you know the voice from another actor.
    So a good, melodious voice is suitable for the masses. Sometimes dubbing actors die and the actor gets another voice.

What to do if the voice is not suitable for the masses:
    You can improve your voice a bit if you sing a lot and train.
    But the basic sound remains. What if you have a play and no singer?
    I use a TC-Helicon - Voiceworks Plus, with which you can edit the voice so that it actually sounds different after editing.
    Inexpensive alternatives are, for example: Waves - OVox (Vocal ReSynthesis) $50 or you can put your voice through a vocoder.
    Waves - QVox Link: www.waves.com/plugins/ovox-vocal-resynthesis#ovox-next-generation-voice-controlled-synth

Conclusion:
    I would still sing even if the voice is not suitable for the masses.
    I would edit the voice with FX plugins until it is suitable for the masses.

Video / Master link:
    How to Produce Unique Vocal Effects: Getting Started with OVox

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

no i don't think so. like the great user above you explained, it's mostly a psychological reaction, because when we hear ourselves talking we hear one thing, but when the voice is recorded we hear another thing.
    also, a lot of people don't really talk properly, nothing a few exercises for weeks/months can't fix.
    i used to be shy about it, now i don't care at all.

11. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

The explanation I read a long time ago was that when you speak (or sing) you are not only hearing with your ears but the sound is modified by the acoustics coming from within your head and vocal chords. When you hear your voice played back dry the acoustics are not there which is why it sounds different. Not sure if that's true but it makes some kind of sense.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello@perA, interesting note, but now I want to know exactly, here is something that could be true.
    2022-09-09_144223.jpg
    https://jp-popgesang.de/equipment/warum-die-stimme-auf-aufnahmen-anders-klingt.html
    https://1-jp--popgesang-de.translat...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp