Listening habits

Discussion in 'Music' started by alexwaston, Sep 23, 2016.

1. alexwaston

alexwaston Newbie

I'm curious to know about the music listening habits of members here. Especially cause mine are very sporadic and I'm sure we all have different ones.

Right now I'm not listening to any music and trying to do so would feel like a chore. I'm going through a period where all music sounds stale and I just can't find any interest in listening to music. I see some members here that seem to listen to music every day and are always talking about new artist and their latest release and idk how they keep that up without taking a break or getting bored with the experience.

Though I periodically go through this phase where I get uninterested in music eventually I break out of it and go through a period where I get obsessed with a particular artist or genre, awhile ago I got obsessed with Kas product and only listened to new wave and later on I got obsessed the residents and only listened to experimental music but after I sucked each one dry now I moved on. I've come to notice that my music listening habits go through a cycle of being obsessed and then being completely disinterested but I have yet to figure out if this cycle comes from my current emotional state or if it's just I have a very selective taste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

You're in the wrong business, try base jumping that should liven you up :thumbsup:

4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Good morning.
    When you have 1000s of bands,artists and composers from all genres on your computer,listening to music is never a chore.There is always something for the right mood and inspiration.

5. kakpraat

kakpraat Newbie

You are not alone. It goes with the territory. Just got to wait for it to pass.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I thought it only applied to ones own music, and listening to other peoples music (even different genres) provided the cure and inspiration?

Well it does for me anyway. The latest Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album really blew all of the cobwebs out of my skull haha :)

7. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

I hear ya, some 300-400 releases in my favorite genre every month, from ep's to full length.
    Makes it nearly impossible to keep up , and leaves you feeling like you might have missed something good if you don't!
    Haven't figured out a way to deal with the ocean of stuff yet, not one that is effective for me anyway.

So , some months i try, other months i just cbf.
    Sometimes i look at the charts, and find what i am after rarely makes it up where its visible.
    It really comes down to there being a sea of shit to swim through to find the good stuff, and sometimes just not having the energy or will to do so , for me anyway.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Why not choose quality over quantity? I usually select a few tracks, load them into my DAW and do an in-depth analysis of every section, the chords, melody, transitions, everything of interest, and then I make a basic template out of it as a basis to start new a track if the mood grabs me.

Even stuff likes this inspires me

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

That is what i am trying to do, but having to listen to a lot of stuff to find the quality :)