List your feature requests for Cubase 13

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Atlantis84, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

1. New and Improved advance Arp kind of like Abletons Arp but with a built in sequencer like Squareheads Nora Arp

2. A Dark Theme instead of that sady grey look

3. Automatic Routing like Bitwig and Reaper

4. A bigger Chord Display within the Piano Roll kind of like Chordie App

5. Note Repeat within Groove Agent while Shift pitching for Hi Hats

6. A Drum Sequencer with a lot of options and grids

7. A Sandbox for Crashing Plugins like Bitwig

8. A Strumming Feature within the Piano Roll

9. Ghost notes like Fl Studio

10. Drop 2 chords voicing within the Chord pads and Chord Track

11. A Combinator like Reason to create and add layers of instruments to one track

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I fear the above requests similar to anything in Ableton, Bitwig, or FL Studio may fall on deaf ears. In recent years Cubase have pretty much set it's road map focus on film scoring composers and those features that make it compete more against Pro Tools int he mixing and mastering kind of arena. I don't think Steinberg are particular focused on (or interested in) electronic producer focus, but I will happily be proven wrong if Cubase 13 does deliver in these areas!

I second the sandbox for plugins, proper dark theme or skins, and MIDI features like strumming for MIDI.

The main feature i would love to see is a comprehensive and automated humanization process, that is perhaps scalable similar to how shuffle/grooves work based on a % that you can determine. It would be great for things like writing acoustic instruments parts, like orchestral instruments, guitars, basses, and so on, making humanising these to improve realism much easier. This could be a feature where it auto adjusts the velocity, timing, and so on in a logical way, or even a way selectable, e.g. random, up, down, up and down, and so on (similar to arp settings), only that it affects only the parameters that humanise the playing of the instrument(s). It may be asking too much, but would be great if this kind of feature could also be applied at two levels, so to individual tracks or the whole track, where it would do things like adjust things like track tempo maps and so on so making it less rigidly on tempo that would make things like film score pieces or rock band drum tracks and so on feel more real and human.

4. SholandaM

SholandaM Member

A plugin came out recently that I'm surprised a lot of people aren't talking about, Toneworks's Catalyst. What it does is fairly unique - loads VSTi's where you can then sequence/arpeggiate/harmonize/gate notes as well as any parameter of the VSTi.

The harmonizer module bit is also unique because it creates full chords from single notes.

Can you imagine the movement you get from synths like Charlatan, Deduktion, Full Bucket stuff, Serum, etc., without these functions built in? I mean, you can automate their functions in Cubase, but drawing lanes is tedious.

Devicemeister's Stepic can roughly do the same thing, but you need a manual for the VSTi to know which CC# to assign parameters to.

Now, imagine if Cubase 13 expanded their arp/seq to something of this level.

Edited: I removed create chords out of mono instruments because it doesn't do that. The VSTi would have to be polyphonic in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  5. Atlantis84

i agree a automated humanization process would be great in the inspector area that'll be a very nice workflow and has coutless amount of options to grooves and shuffles based on the percentage and also calculated velocity stair style values as well for film scoring ....... it would be kind of like a advance version of the midi modifiers and logical editor sort of like a hybrid type of workflow with way more options for grooves and more detailed humanization

6. Atlantis84

thanks for mentioning that i didn't know about Toneworks Catalyst it looks very powerful and interesting i might buy this in the next few days im looking at its youtube video at the moment if its too good im not going to wait for it to come up on sister site

from the video im watching it looks like he was inspired by the Bitwig theme with the orange and dark grey ...at first i thought it was a brand new bitwig plugin lol

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  7. SholandaM

SholandaM Member

Just so you know, it does create chords within a specified key by playing just one note, but the instrument would have to be polyphonic to begin with.

8. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I hope they just finish the midi remote.
    What kind of humanize you are talking about? Midi modifiers and midi plug ins can do quite a lot. Or are you asking some kind of one button solution?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Weirdly, I did originally put in innovative MIDI FX or features similar to Catalyst in my post, but took it out as it may have just received the "just use Catalyst then" type of responses :rofl:

10. huga

huga Member

Modulators (lfo, envelope, stepper, arp) to control any parameter within the daw + vst’s

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. gotnofriends

gotnofriends Kapellmeister

Mid/side splitter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Fix cpu spikes.

13. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

1. As far I am concerned, better sampler track sampler or VST sampler simple like the SampleOne in Studio One, for vocal chops and sequencing. Sampler track already have chopping possibilities but you can not edit every single chop in pitch, etc. I know you have Groove Agent but it is not as intuitive to edit vocal chops.
    In Studio One and I saw that Logic has new simple sampler that does the job simple and yet effective. No other 3d party samplers for that purpose I have came across are not easy to use and yet effective as those two I mentioned.
    That would be nice addition, so far I am satisfied with Cubase.

2. Notes names in piano roll like in FL Studio, StudioOne for samplers like Groove Agent when you add your own samples in those VST so you can recognize sample ... Sometimes it show , but must time doesn't. I don't know if is about me, or what is wrong, but that feature is in FL Studio like since ages now...

3. I dont like their Media Bay browser. It is good for their samples but I dont like the way it lays out the folders and samples, FL Studio, Studio One, Ableton Have done superb thing in that area, and I would like if browser for media from PC would be where the track inspector is, on the left side and to be same as in FL Studio, fast, reliable, and keeping samples safe, because their browser still sucks and by accident you can delete samples ... Which sucks...

4. To make easier when emptying the pool, just to delete from HDD tracks are recorded, and aded in the project not from the original place. That makes no sense at all to make that option available because I have a lot of time deleted original samples by accident while emptying the sound pool....

More to come...

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

1. If I could double-click on a waveform/region and come up with an editing feature as powerful as iZotope RX, that would be killer.
    So there's no need to install third-party apps for editing.

2. If I could do the exact same analysis and comparisons that "Mastering The Mix EXPOSE" can do in Cubase, that would also be very helpful without having to install third-party apps/plugins.

3. Please increase the number of slots in "Sends" like when adding slots in "Insert" from 8 slots to 16 slots.

4. Please Cubase, make everything as undoable as in Studio One. If you know what I mean.

[​IMG]

15. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

classic lol

I solved with a marco with key short cut in which, in one action
    -"import all samples in pool" (so copying phisically)
    -delete unused files

before completing the actions the confirm windows will pop up, so you can evaluate if to delete after importing the samples

PS: I really think that the "humanisation features" in Cubase are endless, maybe a bit hard to master, but there's a lot of material to operate. I have my own presets of groove quantize organized by style, accuracy or even "level of mastery of the player" lol spent many years in Cubase I realize lol

16. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

More than anything, I want to be able to divide a project up into cues (ie. DP's chunks or S1's subprojects).

Honestly, anything else I want to make that involves lots of modulation options, I just use Bitwig for that. Steinberg would be stupid to waste resources trying to make Cubase more like Live/FLS/Bitwig.

I agree that routing should be deeper, and some other little QOL stuff I've heard people complain about over the years, but it's a matter of staying focused on the strengths while maintaining a bit of flexibility, rather than trying to do a bunch of different things and being mediocre at them.

17. Lil G

Lil G Member

There is clearly one thing, that's more important than anything else:
    Complete overhaul of the Media Bay, which seems stuck in the early nineties (or even the 80ies), completely unusable, the way it is now.
    It needs a smart auto-tagging function and a browser, that's actually from the current millenium. I think the Media Bay is really what's most unacceptable in Cubase nowadays. It just totally sucks.

Steinberg should have a look at ADSR Sample Manager. This shows the way, in which a good audio file organizer needs to work these days!

18. elixter

elixter Kapellmeister

Fullscreen Mode like Fl Studio and Reaper would be great.

19. RachProko

RachProko Producer

An AI VST that will compose,mix and master all music for me automatically!

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This was kind of my point. If Cubase are, as they seem to be, focusing on film, TV, and game composers and the like, then humanising rigid Kontakt orchestral instruments and so on is a big part of that style of music production. Having easy to use humanising tools that don’t require years of investment and a Cubase degree to master is a no brainier feature need for me, personally, as such a critical requirement of the musical creation process shouldn’t be that difficult to get to grips with when automated tools could clearly be built to alleviate this burden.

• List
  21. CaptainTrams88

CaptainTrams88 Member

All I need is an import function that can read ALL cubase project files and arrangement files ever used for Cubase since Atari ST days