List of percussion/drum one shots and sounds.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Desantïs, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

Anyone have a name for all the drum/percussion instruments and what they sound like? I want to add more flavor to my beats and break downs and hear some really cool instruments but have no idea what some of them are. Is there a chart or a video?

3. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

There are many ways to go about this, However I would recommend looking through a general MIDI drum map for a look at the drums, cymbals and percussive pieces used (Like this one for example http://computermusicresource.com/GM.Percussion.KeyMap.html) and then start to search for and listen to some good/well recorded examples of each of the pieces/instruments. Then take it from there and explore

Hope that helps and all the best your way and to all as always :)

5. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Amen to that and it is certaintly an area that is both interesting and simple to DIY. I have alot of love for big ringy and clangy type percussive sounds that can be gotten by cracking big barrels hard, Having liquid and other material to stuff inside can offer tons of variations. Another one I really like is to use the big, thick class bottles (which usually once had spirits inside them, Vodka being the one's which seem to last longer), Putting them upside down on the shaft of a hihat stand and used/struck not disimilar to the way a ride bell is amongst many others. Well worth a try and as audiowolf points out you can use pretty much anything to get something useable out of :wink: