LiquidSonics or Altiverb

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Free Agent, Jan 11, 2021.

?

Which one would you prefer to use the most?

1. AudioEase Altiverb

37 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. LiquidSonics Reverberate

11 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Slate Digital VerbSuite

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Alleykat

Alleykat Kapellmeister

7H sounds fantastic in my opinion, tried Altiverb in the past, but never really liked it, to me the clear winner of this Liquidsonics release is Cinematic Rooms, even if it's an algorithmic reverb, the tweak-ability is fantastic and it sounds great, and the best thing, it doesn't require 9 gb of space.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Guys c'mon, stop asking for who has the brownest asshole. We all know you guys ain't gonna post a mix lol. You sound like a bunch of 12 years olds screaming on the internet :bleh:

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

awh, i'm patiently waiting for them to post it. please let me have it.

it's a go, cmon, show your mixes, I just want to hear some music!

4. James Rooney

James Rooney Member

Slate Digital uses the Liquidsonics engine. It is a partnership.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

As an innocent bystander may I ask which metric you utilized to make this assessment?

DSEQ seem pretty similar to Soothe in functionality. Even if we grant a benefit of doubt and assume Soothe might be more effective in doing the job, your claimed order of magnitude seems unsubstantiated and outlandish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

That blind test proved my earlier point exactly.

So you need to add Valhalla and Lexicon to your poll.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

is it possible the seventh heaven and the add-on M7 for the verbsuite classic are the same thing ? Nobody says anything about this yet, but if it does, Steven Slate must be laughing right now.

8. slab52

slab52 Newbie

I've made my feelings on Altiverb known here https://audiosex.pro/threads/altiverbs-retail-price-is-a-disgrace.55207/ . All convo verbs are a compromise, the Liquidsonics IR capture technique is the best I've heard with regards to having some of the movement and depth of the real hardware but if you own good reverb hardware you know the plug-ins don't cut it.

Hell, load up a classic 480L preset like Auto Park or Lg Wood Room. Pull it up in Altiverb, VSC, and IR1. These are factory presets that shipped with the 480L so there is zero variance at the source. Yet all three sound different and only VSC gets a little bit of the mojo. None quite have the 480 magic.

It's like multisampling a synth instead of having it next to you. When you "lengthen" or "shorten" the decay of a convo verb you're just mangling and time stretching the IR - it is nothing like what happens when you increase decay by the same amount on the hardware unit. Skilled programmers are getting sounds out of those old Lexicon boxes you never dreamed of (check out Italo de Angelis on YouTube).

I wouldn't be surprised if the M7 section of VSC is a little "teaser" of seventh heaven

9. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

So how exactly are hardware digital reverb units different from digital plugins?

edit: Ah, I can rent a Bricasti M7. Let's check it out.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  10. Brendon

Brendon Member

Like comparing a Bugatti to a Bentley IMO; I enjoy both for different tasks.

Altiverb is currently the only option available for SST-282 emulations (unless you're a PT user) which I use on every project without fail.

11. Stuck In The 80s

Good point. You need to add Bentley to the poll.

12. besanane

besanane Ultrasonic

What I like most about the relab 480 is you can choose connection type coloration, 18 bit (like original hardware) or not, 4 types of internal routing...it even lets you drive the input for saturation. I guess many misses or is shy to use setup optios, its thats why I find it to be the best lexicon sound out there.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Stuck In The 80s

Woah...Trevor Horn in the house

14. besanane

besanane Ultrasonic

Open a piano track and try for yourself, specially the saturation (input drive) or the routing options are very audible.

• List
  15. marveljam

marveljam Ultrasonic

I will use a selection of virtual gear, get bored, and add something new to the mix. Truthfully, I think stacking reverbs gets the most interesting results. Subtle bits. Oh, and also delay can be the best reverb much of the time on music projects.

16. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Head over to Vicontrol forums for more in depth user reviews... I personally use Seventh Heaven Pro with Reverberate 3... Altiverb is still an amazing though!!

17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Read the manual, spent the day with it, replaced the reverbs in my older projects with it (closest setting possible) and compared with all convolution reverbs (including the Ableton Convolution Reverb, it also has Bricasti IR) I have and some of my favourite reverb plugins. In my humble opinion, Seventh Heaven is probably the best reverb there is in the history of mankind! /s

Kidding.

It's good, the hype is real. Worth 9GB of space. I deleted the Reveberate 3, Altiverb and Sla.. nope ill keep that one. Probably reinstall them all later when I get new Hard Drive. Try it out guys! :wink:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

((( Testing, One, Two... )))

19. besanane

besanane Ultrasonic

I also finally downloaded 7H, from memory it felt a bit flatter and some presets wider than how I remember from slateverb but probably I'm wrong. I'll keep the liquid sonics stuff for now, I also have relab and exponential and thats more than enough for me. Quick opinions on latest LS releases;

Cinematic rooms; Most presets are ultra-wide, almost has a binaural feel to it. Works just as good as my fav. (exponential symphony) for solo instruments, a keeper but not a workhorse. Vi-control guys go for either 7H or this, if I had to glue from the master CR would likely perform better.

Seventh Heaven; A boringly safe reverb to use :) very smooth which people often go for but it makes me miss the sweetness of classic lexicon sound. I'm more of a rock guy than classical so that might explain it.

Lustrous Plates; I'm leaning on more to the Kush Goldplate but for drums specific was looking for an alternative to val. plate for tone experimenting. Haven't got into that yet but will be fun.

Illusion, R3; Jumping from one preset to the other was a hit and miss for me more than the other LS offerings. Probably aimed to replace algo reverbs but I'm happy with what I've been using or too lazy to learn a new swiss army knife-like reverb.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  20. Cube Sixty-Three

Cube Sixty-Three Kapellmeister

Why is that people hate the truth? There's something wrong with this world, honestly speaking. Comparing apples to oranges, so sad.