LiquidSonics or Altiverb

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Free Agent, Jan 11, 2021.

?

Which one would you prefer to use the most?

1. AudioEase Altiverb

37 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. LiquidSonics Reverberate

11 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Slate Digital VerbSuite

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

All details are on their website. :bleh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. besanane

besanane Ultrasonic

I'm still downloading the new stuff but I know 7H from slate reverb and used to use reverbarate 2.

To me the M7 is a competitor to the lexicon sound. If I had to generalize the differences, lexicon is a bit sweeter in the mid.s while M7 is smoother on the highs. But I guess what makes M7 so desired is it the sound is very controlled, like you won't need to eq mid.s to give clarity to a mix which can happen at times with a lexicon type character (this is why I dislike valhalla vintageverb).

Reverberte I think shares the same ir's with slate reverb. I wouldn't expect a big difference when compared to seventh heaven if a preset is untouched. Also reverberate comes with a pretty decent library (classic hardware and maybe some real rooms), it opens 3rd party IR's too but I don't think one would need that often. So its safe to say it offers a little bit of everything and can be preferable if you don't want to spend too much hardware space for other reverbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Even though Altiverb is by Audio Ease, I think LiquidSonics wins in the department of "ease". The first check I run on reverb plugins is to see what the nominal wet/dry ratio is.. such as the highest wet amount you can use without any editing, and it won't taint the sound of the source no matter what preset/IR/length/etc. you choose across the board.

With most, including Altiverb, you go higher than 20% wet on a single sound source.. you got a shaping task on your hands. 8-12% on a group bus.. a shaping task. And forget trying to glue or add overall dimension on the 2bus.. you go higher than 1-2% and it's already bad business. To my ears, these LiquidSonics one's don't sound like shit in the upper frequencies the way most of the others do. You can use way higher wet ratios without low-passing the hell out of them as a sacrifice. Plugin wise, they seem the best at maintaining the color/tone of the source audio even when applying pretty heavy.

Has anyone tried the Clearmountain's Domain plugin? That's another one I've been curious about.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 7
    • List
  4. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

5. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

In terms of sound, I could live with every single one of them. I voted seventh heaven professional. It sounds good and it has the best interface in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Sorry if I am being dense, but I am still having a hard time deciding.
    Did you figure out which one is most expensive?

7. audiozuser76

audiozuser76 Producer

Altiverb is like the Pro Tools hype, outrageous overpriced ancient shit!
    The time when the "Legendary Industry Standard" was considered the only one is long past history now.
    Today we are surrounded by much better and affordable tools.
    The reason to buy it shouldn't only be the well-know "Industry Standard"-ramblings,
    but technological advancement, versatility and innovative approach associated with reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I had to uninstall the Slate reverb because every time I fired up an instance it would talk my ear off when the DAW transport was stopped, telling me how great it was and yada yada ad nauseam until I just couldn't take it any more.

I am looking forward to trying out Liquidsonics 7th Heaven as well as the Lexicon 480 as well as others newly on offer. I like using the old 32 bit Lexicon bundle and I bet these sound even better with their newer algorithms and cool IRs.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

In fact, Altiverb is not technologically superior to any freeware convolution plugin. Their biggest selling point is the huge library of well captured spaces, but you can easily substitute this by creating your own IR library from quality, freely available IRs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I too think that it's overpriced - meanwhile. And it's for sure older than the new ones, this is in the nature of things, but it's not shit at all. And its Positioner feature has a sound of its own, Hofa tried the same but there are audible differences in the result.

11. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

Obviously the IR's need to be of high quality, but for me the power of a reverb plugin lies in its ability to transform the sound. Reverberate seems to be best at this, I don't see as many options with that on Seventh Heaven.

EDIT: So I can't quite understand why Reverberate is so much cheaper than SH. Seems to me it should be the other way around.

12. db100

db100 Kapellmeister

May i ask what records you have mixed? Bc people whos opinion i respect and who mix for a living claim its one of the best reverb itb and it comes scary close to their real bricasti..

But then again wasnt you the one who claimed every plugin sounds like crap next to softube and who had this magic plugin that everybody in the industry keeps secret (because theyre evil) which is like 100 times better than soothe and dseq combined? And when asked which plugin you talked about you just dipped :rofl:

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

As far as I understand, SH used a more in depth approach to capture the impulses, based on Liquidsonics Fusion technology, while Reverbate 3 rather uses standard high quality IRs (hence the ability to also use 3red party IRs), but allows more in depth manipulation / sculpting of those. Anyone feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Some (or all?) of the Reverbate 2/3 included IRs have been captured with the more in depth Fusion method as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

here i am thinking the LiquidSonics Illusion is enough for simple reverb usage, even I have all of them installed. Though will probably pick Valhalla every time i need reverb in a mix session. But i really like the Illusion, lightweight (atleast for me), tweakability is just fine have everthing i need. This could change after this because only spent few hours with 7th heaven, it feels too HiFi, too "brilliance" sounding for me. Weird because I like M7 in verbsuite classic.

• List
  15. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

anyway...

16. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

On a serious note, these discussions are great even for beginners.
    It takes enough time to learn how to use these things, let alone try to determine which to invest time on, for various reasons.
    Even for a hobbyist like me, for whom a major part of the hobby IS trying different things for the sake of "something different", the number of things available is overwhelming.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

option paralysis is a known creativity killer.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Lucky me, there's no creativity to kill in the first place :rofl:

Edited: who's the funny one who voted this "creative"?... you bastards I love y'all :hahaha:
    Edited v2: ok, I take that back, you mother$%&* :lmao:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • List
  19. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

None of them. Therefore: VSS or LexPCM.
    And if it still has to be convolution (for whatever reason), then reaverb does the job for me.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Cube Sixty-Three

Cube Sixty-Three Kapellmeister

I've learnt one thing in life not to argue with anyone who's gullible or ignorant. My quote at the time was "The only thing worth waiting for so far from R2R releases is "Softube"

There was no time I said everything else sounds like crap but Softube. Let's hear your best mix, I'll be happy to share my worst!

I stand by word though that Soothe is 10000x better than dseq. I'll take that to my grave.

Also go back to see my post on the sister site asking for Liquidsonics to feel the hit of the wave, gearslutz is where all this started from, you've no clue what you're talking about.

There are thousands of people selling off Seventh Heaven and have same conclusion as me. I've owned this since the 1st week it was released but you own the crack version.

I advise you stop trying to sound smart by misquoting others to sound intelligent cos you're nothing close to that.