Liquid Funk Drum 'n Bass

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by N0Trace, Jan 2, 2016.

1. N0Trace

N0Trace Member

thanks in advance for constructive criticism :)

link removed

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  3. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

Sounds good - I don't won't to criticise your music - For me - this is the way you won't it and I appreciate that - I could say that the drum section change for instance is not quite necessary but that would be my opinion only ---

Whats your soundcloud page called ?

4. nickveldrin

nickveldrin Member

Liquid DnB is practically all i listen to and aspire to be able to produce one day, so i wanted to say a few words too.

Regarding specific positions in the track:
    3:05 - abrupt change of drums - may want to lead in with other set sounds unless this is what you were going for?
    3:49 - high hats a little too busy in my opinion​

And the things that i loved:
    1. beautiful saxophone,
    2. (muted trumpet?),
    3. strings/pads?,
    4. rhodes sounding keyboard,
    5. very nice chord changes that take the listener from conflict to resolution well,
    6. super tight awesome sounding drums and breaks!
    All in all, it was a really great, sometimes very old-school, good-looking records feel kind of track, especially at the end. Almost felt like LTJ Bukem was around.

Nice work!!!!

5. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

Whats your soundcloud page ? nickveldrin

6. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

we need some SC links guys. We want to listen :)

OT: Dope track! i deffo get back to the LTJ bukem days.
    sounds like a second track starts at 3:01. If you make the transition to the break switch more fluid, it will work much better imho.

in the beginning, i would say it sounds a little too busy. you could go for making it build up a little more calm/slow to begin with. Introducing the sounds. Less is more. You did change those sounds further along that works better. giving each sound more room to breeath.

The track could use some more reverb and delay exploring on the diffent sounds. maybe thats just me :)
    maybe a few more sounds here and there, just to enforce each section. to spice things up a bit.

anyway, top notch !

7. N0Trace

N0Trace Member

hi and thanks for the great tipps.

the track actually contains two potential songs, or better said two different variants of the same. therefore the drums and sample change.

i always do rough arrangements of my stuff, before i work it out ultimately, so that i can hear it on a mp3 player when i'm away from my computer. it's very good to make itself thoughts about it. but in the most cases, after many listening, i do not like it anymore and the stuff will sink into oblivion. has probably something to do with my lazyness^^

in regarding of this particular song. i'm very satisfied with the drums part. it's a mix of top loops, own built Bass/Snare drum along with a full drum loop. (unwanted things can be easily cutted out after.) i didn't used compressors on the single drum tracks but a EQ and a transient designer and also a exciter in one case. a transient designer is the better solution imo!

i will not reveal the samples sources. only so much- it's not from lousy sample packs but from very little known soul/film music composers from the 60's and 70's. i've found it randomly on youtube, downloaded them in the best possible sound quality and extracted the audio tracks for sampling hehe. i always seek for nice piano solos, trumpet, saxophone, drums and strings parts that cannot be found on shitty smaple packs. bass and synths are always self made. i do not sample this kind of stuff honestly.