Liquid drum and bass track

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by sparkles, Aug 20, 2017.

1. sparkles

sparkles Guest

UPDATE: Well i finished my track finally, hope that matches in some ears...Thanks for all responces by y(all),be well and do good music, thats all matters!

Hi y(all)
    Working on this track was a big fun with a sense of frustration, as i don't have any closer friend who is master in this kind of music ,i would like your opinion, any feedback is appreciated. This is only the mix, not mastered yet.
    Deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Hi Sparkles,

First off, nice track :) I particularly like the vocals, a lot actually. I'm not sure if you're using samples or recorded them yourself but I think they work great with the track. Overall, I think it has a nice vibe and I really enjoyed it.

My critiques are mostly personal so please take them with a grain of salt:

I think the arrangement could be worked on a bit more to not only extend the length of the track, but also play with the overall tension and release. It's sounding a little repetitive in some parts but overall its not bad. I just think with a few tweaks it could be better.

The drums sound a little bit dry and kinda lonely :) you might consider layering a high passed break underneath just to fill things out a bit more. The piano parts or ok... they feel a bit off. There's sections where you're playing chord progressions just on their own. It might be nice to have a second piano melody in a higher octave as the chords are playing, or even a different instrument to accentuate the chords (maybe some horns?).

I also make a lot of liquid / atmospheric drum & bass, and on the side I offer mastering services so if you ever need help feel free to hit me up any time. Id be happy to help.

By the way here is some of my own tracks. Sorry these are a bit old :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. sparkles

sparkles Guest

@ayamat welcome man :)
    Thanks for your time and your kindness respond to my post
    In most of the parts maybe all, you are correct-did'nt try any of your advices yet, sure i'll try all of them through the week-sounds accurate !
    i listened two of your tracks here and i liked very much "letting go" clear sound, beautiful atmospheric vibes ,lovely breaks... and for sure i will need your help when i finish the mix of my track.I want to ask you about kick drum and bass also for the snare and so on... if you have any e-mail or another way to start a conversation about liquid vibes and breaks it will be great
    cheers man :)

5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Liked ur sound well enough, hopefully crit doesn't seem too harsh, it's well meant. And not meant to be mean. As well as the earlier comments, which seem well founded, especially dryness. I think ur sound is a lil bit too clean & "nice", not enough dirt; defo no proper filth. Ur bass is used moar like a pad, when there should / could be lots moar movement & / or gliss / slides. Ur snare sound is ok, the tamb / hihat bit repetitive & quant. But almost all ur kicks are rly poor. Especially 3:03+ :) & @ end. I liked the music elements, the lil chords & stuff were fine. I like all the times u used lil sampled (?) breakbeats to transition / intro (0:45 etcs) but u kinda forget to transition into breakdown parts. It just kinda stops. U need to kinda mess w/ rhythm in the last bar a bit. Preferably a lot. I kinda was doing lil fills & flams in my head when I knew the beats were coming back in too, but they kinda just started again =(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Ok so if you dont mind constructive criticysm..
    If i were to pick stuff id say
    I would variate those hats n your drums more and change your snare from the kinda ol skool "and effective" snare, to a more modernised snappy tight n puchy hit but wth a touch of automated reverb if it were me
    Kick could be a touch bolder too
    Thing is if those 2 elements arent 150% youll have a tough time making up for it
    That alongside Variation Variation Variation my friend..
    Your bass is solid but id suggest some automated glide and an accent on the start of each bass note, via a pitch env is one way,
    Or automate it with your pitch bend as i would do..
    If im brutal i think you couldve chosen/progd a better pad/chrd on the intro that also runs in n out the trk here n there..
    Or eq ed some of those frequencies out of earshot
    Bit of automated trk reverb too wouldve masked a bit of it..
    but again i do hope your not taking any offence as i genuinley do not
    "and i must stress this "
    "i do not say this from a nasty place whatsoever and i assure u my intentions are solid"
    Althogh ive not bothered posting any new stuff for some time now
    "its honestly because im being really hard on myself and i keep deleting my work"
    And not coz im crap he he he!!
    But ,Im always programming DnB
    Or im programming breaks n atmos /pads n basses etc etc to use on a rainy day
    Btw im not suggesting im a master as im far from it....
    Anywayz Is that your vocal on the trk?

if so your voice is good.... "id love to use it sometime"
    Maybe next time ive a trk ready to post i will reciprocate and show you guys my work too...

And listen dont get me wrong ive loads of faults in my stuff
    Alot of the time its those faults that end up geneating your Sound/Character
    An example would be that i always abuse the hell outta my plugs on basses n stuff
    Getting your synth to kinda "misbehave" can yield spectacular results

But its as much about recognizing that ,than it is to actually implement it to your sound..
    Im always happy to talk dnb and i too do not have any solid DnB friends i ever bounce shit off in a creative way either..
    Im more than happy to start now though...
    It can be very lonely time programming ,when on ones own constantly.
    Know what im sayin
    Anyhow you wanna talk dnb/technique or ideas anything "gimme a shout im always up for that"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  7. sparkles

sparkles Guest

@famouslut, @jynx , @aymat thank s guys ,everything you criticized for my track is well accepted, there are so many functions to be done for the perfect(on every ear is defer, anyways) track, very helpful indeed!
    A little words of how i work, well sometimes i use samples and sometimes i use samples and midi notes with my keyboard,defenatly most of the times the drum tracks comes from samples ,i separate them like(kick, snare,open hat e.t.c) the other instruments is a compilation with samples and midi is how i m inspired at the present when i mixing, composing and then opens the big window of un knowledge ,problems frustration blah blah blah, the fun mode slowly fading away and there is the time that i must deal with the situation. As i wrote i don't have a friend who is master or if you like he knows more than me to open my eyes and here come you guys :)
    The problems that i have to solve most of the times for composing the track is:start with a great loop 8 bars but i don't know how to continue i spent much time for this as i m not a musician i m a home studio producer who loves Liquid ,breaks ,drum n bass...
    Then comes the arrangement ,wow! i struggle a lot with kick and snare ,hi hats and bass you know, compressors, EQ, dynamics in general and as i see in your comments some technics that i don't know how, like "automated track reverb" or "an accent on the start of each bass note, via a pitch env is one way" as you explained later "pitch blend " i understood :)
    About the vocals, thanks ,but its not me ,lol,its samples i found them via Splice.com
    Would love and be happy and productive if we start to communicate about yours problems our problems and help each other to make better sound and easy listening vibes for us first and then for the world.
    "its honestly because im being really hard on myself and i keep deleting my work" hehehe same here !
    I changed email with @aymat and it will be nice if i do and with you guys to have a path were we can change ask and talk when needs approaching.
    My DAW is Logic x i own several good plugins and some software synths, plus samples and a small amount of knowledge about technics when mixing.
    Also i would like to listen some of your work and i m open for any ideas or technics as well.
    So i will continue my work on this mix for now and for sure i will ask in the future.
    talk to ya soon
    cheers !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Awww shame your on logic
    Well not "shame"
    Just i run ableton and sometimes fl studio "but not very much anymore, fl i mean"..
    Ive heaps n heaps n heaps of samples /synth patches etc...
    Happy to share....
    I dont have much on my stream and its kinda poor now coz i erased it all exept for some DnB , Gstomper promos i programmed for planet H some months ago now after i switched from fl to abl
    To have a clean slate apart from the stomper stuff...

And actually G Stompers a killer sketchpad

"if you dont know what it is, its a virtual groovebox ,modelled off various korg series "

But im gonna put some new dnb and some hard house up from Abl real real soon...in next week or so..
    I been unwell too if im honest and havent been able to concentrate much at all!!
    Your welcombe to pm me if you wish and we can further our conversation there..
    Else ill be rammbling on for ages.....
    Im happy to explain myself further...
    Tell you what i might do..
    I may program something real quick so you can see the skillset i in fact have, as my stream doesnt depict it well at all....
    But if ya dont mind that theyre rough sounding and have a "dated " overall tone and its droid , Theres only one Jynxy bynxy on sc my brutha from anotha mutha

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. sparkles

sparkles Guest

Ha ha cool man !
    I used Ableton not pretty much, i assume nah... i m defiantly sure that Ableton is more steady than Logic x, quicker also, however i use Logic x and i know it pretty much so i stuck with it, it does a good job ! I do not programming as you do ,i just sit down and i do programming...
    Also staring at the wall of my living room i've spent a lot of time,who knows what instead to start a mix or to compose a track, but ,someone says "wasted times are not wasted" hehehe
    Stomper? hey, sounds like good stuff, will check it out.
    Yeah good to hear a kinda "Jynxy bynxy on sc my brutha from anotha mutha" lol and stuff ...
    yeah looked !for further exchanges via pm man ,good to know that ,thanks !

10. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Oh i wasnt trying to sell you on using Gstomper ,im just explaining why theres just a few android trks on there and why i deleted my old stuff..
    I did mean to have put heaps up in their place but i was unwell for a bit....
    Not quite sure what you mean "I do not programming as you do ,i just sit down and i do programming... "
    Coz i just sit there programming most of the day..

11. sparkles

sparkles Guest

No worries' im not saying you try to sell... i just looked up ,i meant that you have saved samples made by you as i do not ,i do programming when i start a mix ,just a picture ... i don't have the ability to programming always, just more on the weekends

12. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Sry to butt in. I'm just enjoying Jynx's SC. Except I think I'm not listening to Jynx. I'm just listening to some random other Jynx! Oops. Jynx said he was the only Jynx on SC! Doh! I'll have to listen again ):

I'm not much of dnb head, only written one maybe two tracks in genre, rly. For me, doing drum programming is a real chore, least favorite part of writing tracks =( I'm trying to get into "playing" instead of programming, but it's so freakin slow! But programming does get a lot easier once u can start to see ur drum edit patterns "automatically". It's just c/p them in that is more like typing a report than writing music =( I would recommend "translating" (ie by ear) ur favorite grooves into (for me Cubase) drum editor in those "wall-staring" times, good practice. Also get Microtonic when u can be bothered to program. Also Stylus RMX when u can't?

I wouldn't worry too much about using compression, too much. There are better ways of doing this (controlling dynamics) than that, nowadays imo. I think u need to research reverb & eq a lil bit?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

at first, I'm not a pro musician/engineer/composer, so what I'll write are more kind of first feel impressions:
    I listened through AKG K702 headphones,
    at first to me the intro is too long, and overall dynamic range is too wide for most consumers,
    bass frequency seems tight well, hats are relatively loud compared to ride cymbals, could be less loud but more crisp,
    midrange is somewhat messy, although pads and spaces are giving nice liquid vibe, I'm missing the balance across all the sounds,
    I have no problem with repetitive feel of the entire piece, but I'd say it lacks some particularly impressive moment to remember, that is crucial to me if I'm supposed to really like a track,
    anyway overall I'd say you should give a try to something like iZotope Neutron, Ozone 7, FabFilter Saturn and other "polishing+mastering" tools which may breathe fresh air and flavour to a decent mix :)
    btw as a worthy genre reference for eventual comparison, I can think of Feint

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Most part of making music is manual labor like other jobs. Without patience and full commitment, you'd be another foster.:bleh:

15. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Heh. I love playing though! I'm just rly rubbish @ drumming. Also rhythm action games. It's prolly connected. I just keep telling myself that piano is a percussion instrument, like a mantra. It doesn't rly help!

16. sparkles

sparkles Guest

Thanks @tzzsmk ! :)
    I listened through AKG 701 which unfortunately they lack of bass , so i had to go one with headphones one with speakers blah blah blah ... finally i stayed with the speakers :)
    Yes i agree the midrange is messy plus all the comments above the track need some tweaks , i will try not to use so much compression as @famouslut recommended and keep going with it and see(hear) wats going on, this track is a reference of how i do all the music production(programming even if i play with a keyboard some chords) aaaand "something to remember " yes !!!
    About plugins i don't want to use most of the time moderated plugins cos there are too many, i stuck with Slate Digital for now,FabFilter,and some others, i won't go for mastering yet cos i learned that the final mix down must be equally not very much to the next level which is mastering, so i would stay for now learning how to improve my mixes and then i will see ...

Hey @foster911 welcome... always with a good word

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

recently I use almost only fabfilter plugins, total bundle is enough to handle almost everything,
    instead of compression and EQ, try to put FF-Pro-MB just to smooth out things,
    also FF-Saturn makes wonders, so do learn to use it if you have it,
    I'd say give more effort to proper gain staging, automation of volume and even pan, this genre can handle it well

18. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Heh..Heh .."famouslut".. Thats really nice of you

"Thankyou"

For the record My new stuff will anihalate any of my older posts..
    My work currently on my stream has an old skool overal dnb vibe
    Like a 2000 vibe ..
    New material will sound current...."i hope"

Its been a year since i last posted something,
    My stream is oh so so poor now, i deleted bout 30 tracks plus...
    Ive been honing my skillset and learning as much as humanly possible about sound design instead of just constanly programming before i post any new trk..
    But Implementing it all can be a biiyyaatch tho eh!!
    I reckon ill post something in the next week...
    I may be ready for a taster demo of what im working on DnB wise a lil later on possibly.....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  19. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

posted in error soz

20. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Yo sparkles buddy....
    Im gonna send u a pm with my email adrss and feel free to contact me whenever ya wish...
    im thinking i should really show you what im capable of rather than just critiquing you.....
    Hmmm may have something as demo later on to show you my sound.....

21. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Errrr btw famous slut.......
    You sure your listening to my stream?
    Just i took a look at those 2 you said i sounded similar too ,and i genuinly cannot see it
    Ive listened to bout 6 or 7 tracks of each artist you mentioned and theyre all kinda experimental techno/
    Thats why im thinking maybe there is another "jynxy" on sc that i just didnt know about...

Ive no housey or 4/4 stuff on my stream for some months now.. so thats odd why youd compare me to those two.." not that theyre not talented"
    But aside from what planet h uses of mine for promoting gstomper ,there isnt any
    But thats on the homepage for gss and not my personall sc acc...
    Im not offended or anything im just wondering.........