Linplug developpment stopped

Discussion in 'Software News' started by davea, Jun 2, 2017.

1. davea

davea Platinum Record

"Dear Friends of LinPlug,

we stopped development of our plugin instruments. This is mainly my personal decision. As much as I still love audio, I love video and photography. When I started LinPlug there was almost nothing on the market and we created many instruments to support musicians. We (thats mainly Pavol and me ) have followed our mission to bring quality, innovation and service to the computer musician for long. But at some point I found that there is already everything available thats needed. I found the market to move into the newer, bigger, crazier direction to gain attention and sales. To make it short, I feel my mission for the computer musician is fulfilled and there are other missions waiting for me. I appologize for any inconvenience that this might cause to you.

What about your existing licenses:

Nothing changed, go on and use your LinPlug instruments as before, if you don’t change your DAW you can do this forever.

What about service:

We’re still here. Maybe its a good idea to backup the installers and your licenses (serials) as foreseeably one day we will not be available anymore.

What about updates:

Its very unlikely that any updates may appear.

What else:

We adjusted prices massively, so a license for an instrument is now 49 US$. Sound libraries for Spectral are 9.99 US$. We’re keeping the store open for some month at least.

Finally, I understand if you are angry or sad or disappointed or whatever, its a big change for some of you and certainly for me. It means closing the chapter that for almost 20 years have been my life and passion, so this is no simple thing for me. Thank you, with your orders you have made it possible for us to live this dream.

Peter from LinPlug"

FarewellAnother change which reflect the industry of today.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

:wtf: I feel myself like the day Camel Audio passed away.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. virusg

virusg Rock Star

damn, sell the damn work to others ...to continue lol ...why closing? sad news, they have some nice plugins that many woould want to build / develop like them

5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I never used their plugins, but Massive Respekt for what they said here!

6. ia

ia Producer

very strange. Why?

no, I can't agree. Ther always so many things waiting to be done

ok, make video and photo software, but in this direction much more competitors for a beginner. I think audio software is the best niche for business.

Yes, that's true. Everything around tent to be more complicated and crazy than ever before. But tools and technologies also emerging

Bankrupty in short? This business getting small income?

so sorry, cuz I still love to use Cronox 3, what is awesome

7. ia

ia Producer

yes, ask them, maybe they would like to make this plugins open-source and I would love to make them even cooler bringing nice new cool sounding feature

8. ia

ia Producer

me too

9. virusg

virusg Rock Star

i did send them a message about ...hope they consider this

10. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Shame, been around a long time too... but never found a use for any of their plugins.
    Got so bad I even deleted my warez versions….:bleh:

11. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

With the differrence that they were bought by this fruit company and didn't really disapear...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. nexusmusic

nexusmusic Kapellmeister

Very sad indeed news. They should've consider approaching Presonus to take over their coding and amazing sounding VSTi. I'm pretty sure Studio One Dev Team would be able to take Linplug plugins and merge them inside Presonus pack and develop further as Linplug VSTi do cover lots of great soundings pallettes. Just my 2cents instead of closing completely. even though I understand Linplug CEO step and disagree that everything out there in the music World sound is already covered but the competition is ROUGH. And I think great companies like Linplug that have unique stuff should find a venture with great DAW developers and merge. Hope he considers

Best of luck to him on his new endeavours ;-) Thanks for ALL

13. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

:(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I feel audio devs face the same plague than electronic music : too much ppl, a flood of ideas...but where is the global direction ?
    Micro niches all over the place, appearing, disappearing...

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

But wait, you haven't sampled a piano!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. virusg

virusg Rock Star

well, maybe someone with a presonus account could suggest them this, its a pitty just not to do anything for them

17. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Does anyone use Saxlab, is it any good or are there much better sax vst's out there?

18. Menorah

Menorah Producer

I think it's a fairly basic analysis of what you just said (this does not mean it's not true).

The biggest problem with LingPlug was that it was outdated (about 10 years maybe?) with the DSP coding and features of its plugins, bad publicity (or null), apart from that their products don't offered anything new (except Cronox a few years ago).

Added to that they were not able to adapt to the vertiginous changes of market.

It may sound harsh what I say, but surely more than one will agree.

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

well then you never tried Albino, this thing was massive as it came out with its 4 layers and 4x4 oscillators. remember this was good over 8 years ago there were no synths with that kind of crazy amount of oscs per instance.

well albino was discontinued in 2014 already :/

20. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yeah, Albino was GREAT. I think I first used it 11/12 years ago ? STILL love it. Shame that these products are going away... Albino was the only one I used a lot, but I know a lot of people liked some of their other ones..

21. timer

timer Producer

Exactly the point, why I don't like to invest in software.
    It's unlikely that you won't (need to) update your OS and/or your DAW sooner or later.

To me the only one acceptable policy for a software company when going out of business and stopping support is to opensource all their products, so some community can keep it alive. If you don't expect to make money out of some software anymore, why not donate it to the public? There will always be some freaks and nerds that take care of your code.

The non-existence of an reasonable official exit strategy at most companies has kept me from buying a lot of stuff.
    If the world won't get nuked I'm confident I can use all my expensive microphones in 2040 still and most of my instruments will be fine, but how much of my software will still be supported? Probably Cubase, if I'm lucky, or the Waves plugins I don't use.

I don't mind if the instruments or plugins I paid for will be available free for all some day. Thanks for that gift and have fun!
    But if they go under with their company and I can't load my old work anymore, that's a problem.