Linn Drum VSTi Suggestion

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Stevie Dude, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Feeling a bit nostalgic today, and I'm looking for any good Linn Drum emulation VSTi. I've been using the Linn Drum inside the XLN Addictive Drums, and Reverb Linn Drum Sample Pack, and few others sample packs. Also it is easily created with some tweaking and stuff in Live but just wondering any good Linn Drum VSTi that I've missed. I want to play around with it. Also tried the Softube Heartbeat and it was fun as well, but I always smash everything with the Dyna-mite in the end, because it is always wanting to smash things, so everything becomes something else entirely.

Suggestions are welcomed, thanks in advance.

Screenshot_2021-03-02 (JPEG Image, 1280 × 720 pixels).png

3. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Nice! Thanks, I've been wanting something that has GUI like the hardware. This is exactly it.

5. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

Did you also try Samples from Mars? IMO the best Linn sample packs there are.

6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

No I haven't. Tried the Linndrum pack. It sounds good and comes with Live Rack, love it.
    I'm downloading the 30GB pack now, see what's inside, how others drum will sound. I like this type of pack, already mapped to rack and stuff.
    Thanks!

7. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

A quick note regarding these machines: when they came out they were very $$$ so at first they were used in big studios with big consoles. So a lot of the sound we expect from classic records we remember were based on this.

A channel strip plugin on kick and snare channels and one on the rest gives these things a lot of life. I'm not the best with these but any, say, SSL channel emus with a plate reverb optionally on the sends would go a long way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

The snare is kinda tricky because tuning it will easily break and sound weird (especially with the samples). So, you are saying, will have to pay attention to the sound character even when in the mixing stage ? Noted. TBH I'm already bored with the SSL channelstrips (feels like been using it forever, haha) now that I'm always using the API for everything since.. we had access. Will use SSL for this one I guess.

Plate ? okay, will try that, I'm thinking of those Digital Reverb with low reso. well, have to try though.

Thanks for the tips. :wink: