Lindell Audio Provides Bad Quality?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mild pump milk, Jun 11, 2015.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

So,
    1. read this excellent article first about equalization (graphics, explanations, what's good, what's bad etc.), it has been done by Vladislav Goncharov (Vladg/sound and Tokyo Dawn Labs, creator of TDR VoS SlickEQ, TDR Kotelnikov, Vladg/Sound LimiterN6, Vladg/sound Molot Compressor (Молот), TDR Ultrasonic Filter, Vladg/sound Nova-67P, T Analog Channel etc.):
    https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/a-classification-of-digital-equalizers-draft/

2. After reading watch this Lindell Audio 6X-500 CM review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KwXkZQwzQ

3. Have you seen how highs are processed? analog processing can't be limited by sample-rate like that, I think it's not a good implementation of plugins. Make your own conclusion.

My conclusion: just good PR and advertisement, and "If we make good gear, it automatically means that we make good plugins" (but to me it doesn't make any sense at all, they are overrated)...will say no more

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

My conclusion is that The CM version sucks ass. Problem with that version is that it's missing the HP and LP Filters part of the full version. Overall the plug is better than you think

4. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

I love the Lindell 7x-500. Such a beauty.

5. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

@ mild pump milk. I took the time to read the article and watch the video, however I am confused here. The 6X-500 is a preamp and NOT a E.Q. What is your point again??

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

No honestly, but I heard how all their products sound, and mate,
    if you're saying it sucks, either:
    1. the CM edition really sucks and is totally another thing compared to the paid ones.
    2. my ears are broken (very likely)
    3. judging audio gear based exclusively on analyzers is not exactly a good approach, ok, aliasing can be measured,
    but is not necessarily everything when deciding if something is the new shit or just trash.
    The "mojo", the ability to make a particular track cut through a mix and the overall feeling at first listen just can't be measured.
    All people I know (and which I also trust when it comes to audio) who use Lindell everyday, like them,
    in a range that goes from "quite good, I heard better EQs but it's a nice one" to "I'm in fuckin love with these things".

Anyway, why you go to conclusions after reading an article and seeing a video on yt? Have you intensively tested them to say it's just hype?
    There's lot of plugs/synths for which imho 99% of their success is given by the hype and bullshit said on YT by some VIP endorser.
    Lindell is not in that list for sure.

:thumbsup:

PS: I really wouldn't say it's all PR and advertisement, if it's like you say, hell, their PR didn't worked,
    cause as of today they are quite of a niche company, and most people never even heard about them *no*

7. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

TBH I only had seen the hardware before you turned me on to the Software versions and now am 1 of the ones that say "I'm in fuckin love with these things".

8. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

Copy knows I in love with them too... :yes:

9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

just to me it is very strange: when highs are processed, the processing fade-outs(stop) to its frequency range limits. However, your analog hardware is not limited to your band range, because it is not digital. So, phase and frequency are distorted in this case. I don't know if it is limitation of CM, but why is it so? Maybe if you have originally bought plug-in, so test it. If it so, they just haven't finalised DSP, probably. It is like Korg/Roland/Waldorf - hardware is better than their software counterparts, isn't it?
    And second! yes it is bad implementation to me, because we don't know what happening in highest range, we just hear it worse. If it will true implementation, I think it would be better a bit.

10. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I get what you are saying but you need to step away from the E.Q. frame of mind. This is more of a Mic Pre Amp than it is a E,Q. also the CM version is completely missing the hp and lp filters ,and that pretty much makes your point on how the highs are processed Moot. Don't knock it till you try it! Comparing some stripped down Free MagWare Mic Pre to what you read about E.Q.s is ridicules