Limiter with Analog-like clipping?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fleschdnb, Feb 26, 2015.

1. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Looking for a VST x64 plugin that gives clipping at a user-defined cieling/threshhold. Looking to add some nice sounding analog type sounding clipping while taming transients on drums. I dont want anything transparent, and having a user defined cieling or threshhold is preferable instead of having to drive the sound into 0db.

Looking for something that has a nice rough apparrent clipping sound, but not digital sounding (as possible).

Curious if anyone here knows of such a plugin, or has run across anything with this feature. Thanks!

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Something like Logic's Overdrive. I would you like to have this plugin for Windows too

4. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Sorry, I should have specified. At this time I am working in a Windows 64 bit environment only. So would prefer Windows x64 VST plugin suggestions, but thanks for your response, Mostwest!

5. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Not so much looking for another tube saturator, or distortion, etc.. But I want something that will leave the unclipped portion of the sound dry and untouched, but only adds the saturations and clipping to the transients that hit the cieling, but leaves the rest of the sound unaltered.

Sort of like a brickwall limiter, but one with a vrey nice sounding, and rough/analog type clipping - Clipping you can definately hear, and is not transparent, but doesnt sound harsh and digitally. Haha, sorry.. Its a tall order, just seeing if anyone out there has run across something like this.

6. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

schaack audio transient shaper with high drive and gain, or oxford transmod with vintage comp 670 by t-racks, should give you that analogue drive.

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Give VladG's Limiter6 a try: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/ You can turn off/on the compressor and the clipper, just use the soft limiter which is one of the best I've heard. It's a great plugin, and great sounding. And I'm very anal about limiting/clipping. Very. :mates:

But if you want a really nice behaving and easy to use hard limiting plugin, give a try to LoudMax: http://loudmax.blogspot.com/ It will try to preserve the transients as best as it can so it's more of a compressor in a way, until you drive it too much. But one should always remember that a good mix consists of many small steps into the right direction.

Cheers!

8. manducator

manducator Member

http://lvcaudio.com/plugins/clipshifter/

9. ontariobeef

ontariobeef Newbie

hmm...,

maybe nomad factory's magnetic?

10. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

Same think. :)

11. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

This looks like exactly what I am looking for! lots of control over the clip shape and I like the graphic representation of the cieling. Very nice.

I will try it when I get home and report back as well as the others.

Keep any recommendations coming though!

Thanks everyone, super helpful.

12. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

AOM Invisible Limiter has suppress, clip, thru modes, and 16x over-sampling.

You really need to read the manuals with their products cause some of their layouts and labels are unorthodox.

13. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Stillwell Event Horizon

Limiter No. 6

PSP Vintage Warmer

14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/released-thrillseekervbl-vintage-broadcast-limiter/

15. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

How I would love if Bootsy and VOS would do 64bit

16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

What's wrong with 32bit?

17. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

JBridge is unstable for me, always has been unstable in my experience, makes DAW's crash or freeze or glitch or whatever. Never been a fan of Jbridge. Everything on my computers are x64, I do not install x86 plugs anymore since they don't work within Studio One or my editor, so i just dont do x86 plugs anymore. Personal preference I guess.

18. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

So out of all the recommendations, Limiter No.6 (clipper section only), Stillwell Event Horizon and LVC Clipshifter were what I tested. On drums they all sounded awesome, and did exactly what I needed, Event horizon was the easiest to dial in, But Limiter No. 6 has alot more features that I would normally use on drums all in one plug. That VladG is a beast! Cant believe thats a free plugin. Clipshifter was equally as nice, alot of features and a nice GUI, but even with all the parameters, It still just sounded the same as the other two.

So then I ran a nice clean sustained 808 bass through them, and here is where you could really tell a difference. Limiter No. 6 won becuase it just has this silky crunchy sound..like a toasted peanut butter sandwich, crispy on top, but creamy in the middle. Plus, all the other parameters on that plugin are so damn nice and high quality sounding. Also, with the "knee" dial, you could go from Thuddy/punchy transient taming making the 808 hit hard like a kick; dial it to the right and you get a crunchy square-wave type hard limit.

Event Horizon only did the hard square wave type distortion on the 808, but did it better than the Limiter No.6. And Clipshifter, even after playing with all the parameters, didnt do anything as good or better than no.6 or Event Horizon.

In my opinion, Limiter No. 6 is one damn fine plugin. Thanks Manducator and 5t33z0.I had this plugin already, but didnt realize its uses until you guys mentioned it. And thanks everyone else for your help!

19. m2314

m2314 Member

No such thing as analog clipping... But there is a plugin that comes with CM Mags called Transector that does something similar to what you're asking... I can upload it if you cant find it

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

People you don't have to list every limiter there is. :rofl: He asked for a SOFT CLIPPER, which is actually rare in the VST world. Most of the limiters are hard clipping limiters and they are easy to find - all of them. *yes* Soft limiter works a bit differently, in a more analogue way. There are really not many soft limiters in the VST world, and that's a shame.

I know only of Limiter6 soft clipper and IK Multimedia soft clipper, of which I prefer Limiter6's soft clipper. Otherwise you can use some piece of hardware for soft clipping, from a tape machine to a preamp, to a hardware compressor/limiter. I actually prefer using Drawmer compressor/limiter for that. :wink: A nice old DBX one would probably be even better, or just different flavour of it, but I'm yet to find one or make one. However, the nicest sounding soft limiters are actually tape machines of any kind if you don't mind the noise... *yes* I don't.

Yes, LVC audio's ClipShifter can do both hard clipping and soft clipping. It's also very controllable.

21. drakem20

drakem20 Member

Best so far for me elysia alpha. Soft clipper.