Lightweight but good Orchestral Strings Library?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ( . ) ( . ), Dec 23, 2015.

1. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

It may be I made some confusion but my answer is somewhat complete. If you're after orchestral strings sound, Session String (both versions) is far from that for the reasons I said earlier. A small ensemble of strings sounds just like a small ensemble, it's not an orchestral ensemble which is bigger. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

2. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I second Chopin4525, so if the need is orchestral strings than it is better to stay away from chamber string libs like Session Strings (or Spitfire Mural) and definitely avoid solo instruments like LASS FC.

3. John John

John John Newbie

my favourite is IK Multimedia Sampletank 3 strings - it's the same as the Miroslav strings. Sounds way more realistic than Session Strings Pro and like Session Strings, it doesn't have the annoying overly wet room sound most packs have.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Nice thread, very useful comments. I suppose the real problem with "orchestral" libraries is that there aren't modern lightweight ones.

Today Miroslav's equivalents are beyond 15-20 GB.

BTW, how about Garritan PO or even the easiest one (don't remember the name)? The newer ones with ARIA player.

5. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Garritan Instant Orchestra? It used to be available on the sister site, maybe still is.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Exactly. I'm asking because I've never tried them, but back at the time they were acclaimed for the quality size ratio and easiness of use. I think they were even bundled as the standard player with a top notch notation soft (Finale, Sibelius?)

Since Garritan dropped Kontakt I've barely heard a thing. It's weird because as you say they're in the scene and plenty of people can try them.

7. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Have you heard the demos of the Garritan products? They are far past their expiration date in my opinion. Check out Sonatina, its full orchestra and free. http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Garritan Instant Orchestra might be a solution - have it myself and works ok in many situations!

9. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Yes, because it comes with pre-built patches and requires far less work compared to GPO. GIO is oriented to fast production like Symphobia, while GPO is more useful if you write orchestral stuff. Their quality is ok if you consider the size of the library. You obviously cannot pretend to score a blockbuster with GPO or GIO. This is a product aimed for hobbyst and composers but it should work also well for doing simple parts in different genres.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Menorah

Menorah Producer

Strezov Sampling - Cornucopia (6,30 gb)