License Locked to specific CPU

Discussion in 'Software' started by reziduchamp, Feb 19, 2017.

1. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Hi People

I just upgraded my CPU from an i3 to an i7. I've loaded up Cubase 8.5 and the first song I'm playing has lost all of the sounds that I created because the wise guys who created the plugins all tied my licenses to the CPU.

Does anybody have a list of which idiots have locked their licenses to the CPU?

I am hoping that after activating everything I will get my settings back, but I've already discovered that my last save has overwritten the sounds I created with sine waves and I think the Battery drums that are assigned different outputs might be lost altogether. Easy fix with the Cubase backup files, but a little bit of work between the final tweaks and the file save 40 minutes later.

• Interesting Interesting x 6
    • List
  3. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

I didn't lose much in the way of settings but the mess around has destroyed my creativity for the day. So far I've found Plug In Alliance and Native are tied to the CPU, but haven't opened any other tracks.

I'm guessing most people don't tend to upgrade CPU's and keep the motherboard.

4. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

and this is another very good reason that piracy exists.

5. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Somewhat ironic that the anti-piracy measures end up justifying piracy.

6. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Not the first time, not the last. Actually the main reason for most people.

7. SoundForSoul

SoundForSoul Ultrasonic

I have Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate and it's not tied on the CPU (I don't even know if that's possible).

8. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

The only program tied to the PC that I'm aware of is Windows........

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Doesn't seem to be case unfortunately. There are some pieces of software that take a 'snapshot' of your system and incorporate it in your activation key. I've had plugins de-authorize for something as simple as disabling a network adapter. It's been a long time, and I can't remember which it was/were, but I'm pretty sure Omnisphere is one such plugin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

I used a Hackintosh for a few years and I remember some piece of software being tied to the network card. I had to buy a cheap card especially just to run that. I wasn't using Omnisphere at that time, so maybe that's another... oddly enough I've also just removed that card a few minutes ago because I'm back on PC and no longer have a use for it. Omnisphere doesn't seem to have been affected - I remember a track loading with it open and I think it was working fine. Weird that you mentioned that Cav Emp - I'll double check that tomorrow now.

It might not specifically be that the authorisations are tied to the CPU per se, but the snapshot makes sense. There are at least Native separate plugins and Plugin Alliance that does something like this and the only change that caused that invalidation was swapping the CPU. Whether its CPU specific or just hardware changes, its a potential nightmare if it catches you out. Personally I spent hours programming all of the synths and fx across that song, so when the Battery drums that were assigned separate outputs no longer played anything and Massive spat out default sine waves I was devastated to realise that I'd just saved it in that state. Steinberg did something decent by creating auto backup files.

Its a really dumb idea of Developers to tie their licenses to the CPU/hardware. I don't think anybody that sits down at the computer to make music wants to change their plans for the day while they jump through Native's hoops locating licenses, plugging in drives, logging onto the Internet, digging through shelves etc... Anybody that uses an i3 processor might consider an upgrade in the future when prices drop, so its not as though its nailed on that the CPU will stay the same.

As a side note, in case it is possible that its only locking to the Windows system, its the same outcome. Windows updated itself to accommodate my new CPU and ran a bunch of checks before rebooting. That could also change the authorisation... but the sentiment is the same... The CPU change invalidated some software.

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I'm pretty sure that the licenses are tied to your Machine ID. With windows if you replace certain hardware components (like the CPU, NIC or even changing the FSB frequency) the Machine ID is deactivated along with the Windows OS.
    Off the top of my head, Plugin Alliance and Waves use Machine IDs for authorization.

12. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

Didn't affect my Waves. I do remember something connected to Machine ID and Waves so that is odd - by rights it should have deactivated. Didn't reset my Windups 7 64bit either - not that I've noticed yet. No boxes in the corner like that Windups 10 spyware piece of junk telling me to activate.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah Machine ID is a bullshit activation method imho.
    Waves uses machine ID in WLE file that generated by network adapter etc
    Plugin Alliance & several others use it also.
    Is pretty shite when it comes to things like frequent OS upgrades etc.
    Some of the DEV's/companies even give you limited activations with OS so a right pain to get in touch all the time to ask them to clear activation requests. Plain Sucks imo.
    There much more user friendly ways and wish some would use them.
    They all seem too have variations based around certain common methods Machine ID normally hexadecimal character.
    MachineID not supposed to change when hardware is replaced but as for upgrades etc :dunno:
    CPU manufacturers etc at a certain time were incorporating unique ID in CPU itself but don't think they do any longer.
    So some CPU's dependending on age will definitely have a unique ID.
    In the most a unique license file based on your network adapter address is generated so things like disabling network adapters as written do cause problems.
    Some ridiculous AUTH systems exist for sure and many manufacturers don't really do themselves any favours and just make life real hard.
    As for iLOK shite :snuffy:

14. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

If I am not mistaken, there is a setting in the BIOS that you can disable CPU ID, If you disable that before you install software, that may prevent issues.

15. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Producer

More bullshit I've discovered. I think Slate locks itself into the CPU as well. Last night I got a popup from saying settings not saved. Now for some reason it is crashing whilst loading a compressor buss with Waves CLA76 or 2A - seems to be both. Earlier edits seem to still load ok, so its not the plugin itself - seems to be something that got written when Slate crashed my track - dickhead. Now it won't open at all. That means shitloads of work is lost. An older version also seems to have the bug, which is really odd. If all of the backup files fail, which is going to take maybe hours to keep loading Cubase until one works, then I've lost 2 days' work.

Anyone for Steven's $14.99 a month plan???

I'm feeling like I need to totally wipe the system and start again just to be sure that I don't lose any more work. This is ridiculous now. It should be a simple swap of a CPU for more power - I've been hijacked and they have the cheek to call everybody else "pirates". Does anybody know what the bounty is these days to buy back my computer?

16. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

Slate Plugins are iLok locked, it doesn't care for CPU or something else. Waves has also a separate licensing system.

17. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I'm on OSX, but I'm pretty sure Native Instruments is locked to your system cpu/or ethernet card etc... I have had to reactivate my install when cloning my drive and moving it to a new system etc in the past... unless they changed something...