Library with percussive strumming sounds

Discussion in 'Software' started by OneBigHippo, May 28, 2024.

1. OneBigHippo

OneBigHippo Newbie

I'm looking specifically for percussive strumming sounds. Basically, something I can use in place of a hihat in a mix, and that sounds sort of like a guitar being strum, without it sounding literally like it's a guitar being strum. Could be something metallic, organic sounding. Any ideas?

And other organic percussive sounds that would fit well in a mix in place of a hihat.

3. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

In the Golden olden days musicians would look for real world objects to use if they needed such a sound, it may still be the best and easiest way.

I seem to recall that Simon and Garfunkel used a biscuit tin or box upside down on the floor for a drum, but I can't find any info right now. Anybody?

4. OneBigHippo

OneBigHippo Newbie

Wouldnt be surprised if it's true. Lots of drummers now do "goofy" stuff like that actually. A big thing now is putting small cymbals, cowbells, etc directly on top of a snare drum or floor tom and playing it just like that

5. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

I don't understand what you want to achieve. But...

Try physical modeling plugins which emulate guitars. May be with short decay and/or release you'll get what you want.

Another approach is use of a guitar sample with a transient processor.

The main problem is that guitar sounds are pitched. Hihats aren't.

Search PianoBook (mostly "Found Sounds" category). For example, I found this library: https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/wok/

Hope, it helps.

6. OneBigHippo

OneBigHippo Newbie

To be more specific, I really like the sound of strumming of a nylon string guitar, and am looking for something that sounds similar to that without sounding exactly like that, if you know what I mean. I like sounds that are sort of vague. "Found sounds" is definitely up that alley. I like sounds that are unique and make you wonder "what is that?" while still sounding familiar enough to the listener that it elicits some sort feeling. All kinds of sounds we hear on a day to day basis can elicit strong emotional responses especially when the listener can't really piece together what the sound is but knows it's familiar...

I play drums and have some electronic pads on my set and want some sounds I could use in place of a hihat to play (for example) accented 16th notes, rhythmically it will fill the role of a hihat but also sound like a strummed instrument. A sample of a nylon string guitar could be a good starting point, or maybe a washboard. Just wasn't sure if there's been a lib made specifically for strummed sounds...

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think since you are unsure of the actual samples you want to trigger, maybe you really want to put a Midi FX (MFX) plugin in front of whatever sampler you are going to be triggering. So you could get something like this: www.pluginboutique.com/products/11955-Strum
    Or look into strum chord tricks with arpeggiator plugins.

It's some form of a rhythmic pattern triggering notes, and then the actual sounds it produces. Start with the first half and see what you can come up with.

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

DIY Sampling is fun! You have much more control over how you strike, strum, pick, brush, tap various objects until you get the sounds that you're after. Using headphones helps.