Let's talk about the Splice problem

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by VisionSierra, Sep 15, 2022.

1. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

Thoughts?

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

The problem is in the sound recognition bots flagging a sample used in multiple songs. Ideally a sample has been properly flipped and sauced but if it was used “as is” than the producer is pretty soft.

4. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

Mmmm....that's a tough one. I didn't take the copyright problem into consideration.

5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

You don't 'own' a song. Intellectual property is a myth.
    There, I said it. Once it's out there it's out there and let people take from it what they want.
    Recycling is as old as the ways to Rome and it's all about money in the end. However much that sucks.
    Let's say someone made the bricks to build a house, the house gets demolished, and you build a new house from the left over bricks.
    Do you owe royalties to the previous owner, or the brick maker? Food for thought. Music is the movement of air, do you owe
    royalties to the air? I rest my case.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I just farted. The track you uploaded replicates the timbre of my fart at 1 min 28 secs. Consequently, you have infringed on my intellectual property rights. To avoid getting assraped in court, please sign all your property over to my lawyers ASAP.

Thank you.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

That fart was the result of MY fried burrito, my friend.
    You were merely the instrument.
    I was the composer.
    Bow to my artistry.

8. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Only if you're too poor to enforce it :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. terrific!

terrific! Guest

Complete nonsense.

The brickmaker and the previous homeowner were both paid fair market value for their property along with the legal transfer of IP rights i.e., "work for hire" in music terms. They both made handsome profits. The new homeowner is investing and building equity which also holds value.

You create it, you own it, you call the shots. Stealing music or whatever IP is no different to breaking and entering, pickpocketing, carjacking, smash and grab, or whatever. But of course, it takes time and effort and money if international to legally pursue thieves and recoup damages.

Sampling on the other hand is entirely different within certain genres of music. But make no mistake about it, respectable labels (that are actual businesses) have either in-house or subcontracted sample clearance departments and legal teams clearing and/or paying fees and sometimes fines all day long every day of the week.

People are just disinformed, brainwashed, dumb to and/or naïve about this stuff. Why do you think Spotify is such a success? People cant hand over their property fast enough to that c*nt Daniel Ek who then data farms and ad sells the shit out of it... for HIS financial benefit, not yours. But again, you enter into his contract and allow it to happen so its entirely on YOU.

As far as Splice is concerned.. yawn. Never bought anything from them and never will. Its like going to a Walmart parking lot flee market boot sale to buy a set of tools to "build your new house" (i.e. 99% rehashed old news garbage). Plus its just cheesy. You call yourself a creator.. try being original for once in your life FFS.

Or maybe im just grouchy from abruptly being awoken from my nap:guru:

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  10. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

I'm not sure about that. Not trying to defend Splice ... but generally spoken I think you can be "creative" and "original" with whatever soundsource you use. Your argument is about just dragging and dropping Splice loops together like it's damn magix music maker, right?

Speaking of sampling I guess it's really hard to tell where stealing IP starts. As a little example: yesterday I took the first synth hit of Dido's 'Here With' Me to build my "own" synth sound in Serato Sample... with just a bit attack and delay/reverb. Is it already stealing? Technically yes I guess. On the other hand I think it is near impossible for anyone to recognise this one layer of my track to be a Dido song. Even I won't be able to tell in a few weeks probably :dunno::bow:

11. Void*

Void* Newbie

Have to agree with @artwerkski

People have to stop falling for corporate scams like "Intellectual Property", you simply can't attribute value to it like you can with something like gold.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. terrific!

terrific! Guest

Right right.. IP scam, no value.. got it. Tell that to the non-creative multi-billionaire career criminal Spotify owners of the world. Hey im not here to convince anybody of anything.. it is what it is, but by all means, do your thang!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

"Intellectual Property" is just pure nonsense in a globalist capitalist world.

How many chinese products are already copied from western countries ? They still sell by billions
    How many music is so "trendy" they use the same samples/sounds/structure ... ? They sell by billions

All those ppl are just running behind the last wagon to get their last dollar ... until the train of reality stop abruptly in their face.

They wanted no more frontiers, no more countries, no limits, no boundaries ... ?
    Just PURE market ?

Here it is ...
    I wish they like it

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Void*

Void* Newbie

So you agree that it is a scam? Imagine a scenario where you can infinitely replicate atoms (like CTRL+C/CTRL+V), the only thing that matters now is how the atoms are arranged so it makes something useful, now let's say someone discovers the arrangement that makes gold, why would you pay for each piece of gold if you can literally just replicate it infinitely? The gold in this case holds absolutely no value even if it's useful, the only thing that holds value is the discovery of the arrangement of atoms that makes gold, so instead you would pay for people to discover useful arrangements of atoms instead of paying for the arrangement itself. I think that now it is clear how "IP" makes no sense, it's like if you are gatekeeping your infinite amount of gold after discovering it and then getting mad that someone else found out how to make gold too. Of course in real life you can just be like Disney and use your multi-billionaire reach to force nonsensical laws so you can gatekeep and profit as much as you want, and since you have the power to destroy anyone in court then everyone is obligated to play your game. If you don't follow their laws then you go to prison and if you resist you get killed, so you better respect the corporations choices.

15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Sometimes people like to say that what they WISH is true actually IS true.
    (People can't own anything.)
    Sometimes people are being sarcastic knowing what they say is NOT a valid overall judgment, but wanting to display cynicism about it. (Everything has been stolen from the powerless, so it is fine to steal everything).

All arguments here have already been made thousands of times, judged via legal arguments and the outcomes are encoded in LAWS.

Of course there are many who think they are wiser, or fairer or have more compassion...
    The legal systems are not perfect but 99.99% of the population are morons in comparison.
    If only YOU were KING, right? Hmmm

[EDIT: And since I ranted I will add something that might be pertinent:
    There are MANY cases you can read up on on the internet , if you are in a position of perhaps infringing copyrights, or being infringed upon.
    Many cases will be judged on their own merits, but many MORE will be judged by precedent.

16. daddytang

daddytang Producer

Wrote this with Splice, Nexus 3, Serum, and Solaria Vocal Synth, and Vengeance Drums.

17. milesd93

milesd93 Newbie

Luckily its a moot point because no one is making any money from streaming music anyway

18. terrific!

terrific! Guest

Here we go again with the xenophobia :facepalm:

No one but daniel ek and his "band" of pirates that is...

The reality is IP is owned and it is a literal goldmine. But I digress and bow out of this what has become an absurd convo. Like I said, believe whatever you want, do whatever you want and enjoy the results!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think Splice is great. It's like a landfill where junk samples can go without ever having to end up on a hard drive.

Less Homemade Junk to delete now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  20. milesd93

milesd93 Newbie

Clearly I wasn't talking about the few owners of companies such as Spotify - I was clearly referencing the people who actually make music. The video in the OP is discussing creators & issues they face with these systems in relations to the rights of the music they create, its not discussing the owners of streaming companies.

And it was a throwaway / bad joke as well

But go ahead and enjoy creating things to get mad about

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  21. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I wonder that this problem hasn't been finally decided - after ~ 20 years of sampling CDs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List