Let's talk about power cables and strips

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by jiggletiggles, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jiggletiggles

jiggletiggles Newbie

I have a dozen daisy chained power strips powering my very small studio and instruments. It's a goddamn mess and still get hum and buzz issues. It's always a game of tetris trying to figure out how to get wall warts to take up the least spots in the crowded strips.

What's the best value for managing power distribution? How do you do it?

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    There's just one thing you really need to consider aesthetics aside: Power all your devices from the same wall outlet to minimize hum.
    Second most important thing to consider: Buy a UPS. The cost gets justified with the more stable power current and the minutes you get to save your work and poperly shut down you computer when there's a power outage.

4. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Yep my ups just saved me the other day! A must have along with a power conditioner!

5. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    @mercurysoto I will disagree my friend on this one.Plugin all the devices on one wall outlet depends on certain things.First he should not exceed the 16A current.(I'm mentioning it cause he didn't said how many stuff he uses and what kind.We need to know the load).Also removing the hum will not always have to be treated like that.He may be on one phase setup or three phase setup.(he also didn't mentioned anything about that).And third he should check all the voice cables (xor and jack etc) crossing electrical wires as less as possible.Last but not least he should check each device's ground.The one "tool" that helps a lot is the UPS as you said, but he will have to choose one that has this feature on.(Not all UPS have features like hum removing,high voltage protection and voltage stabilization).

6. jiggletiggles

jiggletiggles Newbie