Let's talk about Modular...

Discussion in 'Software' started by BuntyMcCunty, Jan 6, 2021.

1. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Of all of the Softube releases, the one I'm having most fun with is Modular.

Sure, it might not be as big or as powerful or as free as VCV, but those things currently feel like strengths rather than weaknesses. By limiting me to a relatively large (but not infinite) collection of modules, I'm finally managing to get my head around the various principles that underlie Eurorack computing. Stuff like the difference between Control Voltages, Gates and Triggers. Why do audio and control voltages go down the same wires? etc. etc. etc.

The last few days have been like a black hole of Eurocrack for me. Is anyone else in the same boat? What resources are you using to learn? What are your favourite modules? Has anyone figured out what that pingable envelope software is for yet?

Come on, lets talk about Modular...

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

don't everybody jump in at once.

4. typical-love

typical-love Producer

Yo, yes!!! I have been sucked into it since all of the modules dropped. I'm comfortable in general with synthesizers, but modular has always felt like a leap to be taken. VCV Rack has always seemed like the means to getting into, but I just haven't gotten around to it... Until Modular gave me the inspiration.

Like you, I'm playing with Modular a lot, but it has inspired me to dive into VCV Rack as well. This thread on the VCV forum and the links therein have been very helpful.
    https://community.vcvrack.com/t/getting-started-with-vcv-rack/747

Hopefully this thread here can bring more inspiration and knowledge!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    4ms PEG (4mscompany.com)
    Manual and some videos there.

6. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

I was absolutely confused with it but after looking up a youtube video on it, it's starting to make sense.
    By no means am i a guru or master at it but it's fun as hell just trying to figure out the modules and the wiring.

7. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I personally prefer Voltage Modular From Cherry Audio

Simple because of one module ... But It's the most Powerful there is .VST Hosting.

Everything becomes a module thanks that

More powerful isn't possible .

Using Omnispere as an LFO source check

Absynth as a Sound source check

Think crazy

But personally my top favorite are the Midi tools

Ever wanted to try programming an Arrpegiator powered by a Stepsequenzer powered by midi note Event powered by a threshold powered by a Mic Signal in XD

My Try on Bagpieps

For me the 3 Way to learn are

1 Simple trial and error
    2 Re-Engineering of Presets
    3. Background knowledge about electron components and Hardware Synth
    (Also simple Tip :An ADSR is still an ADSR and a Reverb a Reverb in FM8 or in a Modular System XD )

In Simple words
    ADSR + LFO with more Triggers XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Yeah, that HUW video was the first YouTube video I watched when it came to making my first patch as well.

Re. Voltage Modular -- I remember downloading a copy from the sister site but it didn't appear to be a full version, I felt robbed. Or at the very least, limited. Do you own a full copy or are you using one of the freebies?

The huge array of free modules now available for Softube Modular is going to make it hard to compete with for me, I think.

9. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I've also been playing with VCV rack as well. I've had it installed for some time and have had a little play with it, but I never managed to put in the sustained work necessary to figure it out.

I do like that it operates as a standalone thing rather than having to use it out of your DAW. It seems more like a 'real' modular system. A couple of years ago, I started trying to build a DIY system, but I rapidly realized I was out of my depth. When the instructions said 'now start up your oscillator', I knew I was in over my head. But the cheap Behringer modules/cases have been tempting me to explore the hardware if I find myself getting on with the software.

I do love the power behind it all.

10. Voidhead13

Voidhead13 Guest

No love for Reaktor? It's more powerful than Softube or VCV or any other plugin really. And it sounds amazing.

11. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

12. epochfunk

epochfunk Member

If you're finding your way around the Softube modules I highly recommend this series of tutorials from Rolf:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuydsv2c6l__muAulo3yNZlnZ0UqmrLcc

Some are free, others are name your own price, but he does a thorough job of explaining each module and it really helped me figure out how everything works as a system :wink:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

I'd like to contribute that I haven't seen my DAW for quite a few days now, and that's because of Voltage Modular (standalone).
    I can fully comprehend what the OP is into, but for me it's the same thing with VM. I totally agree with @Polomo. The ease of usage and sheer power under the hood of VM is something I don't think its' contenders can compete with.
    But I have to admit that I haven't "demoed" Softube Modular yet. No time for that because my addiction to patching in VM is at peak level atm :)

Since you've been asking, the "Nucleus" version of VM is free >> https://cherryaudio.com/free and comes with the most basic modules. There are also some free modules available, mostly utilities. Enough to sniff in.

14. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

A synth for boffins but yet to see any evidence that the complexity delivers superior sounds results.

Rather than showcasing the power of the synth, the presets serve to deliver a series of unusable bleeps and tones that often spike your CPU and level meters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

I've been playing around with Modular for a few days now but it's not for me. Why would I want to port the limitations of Eurorack gear to the digital realm? Sure, it's an authentic experience, a simulation of Eurorack. It's interesting to play with and learn a few things about synthesizers. But would I actually use this to make music? No. I rather spend 15 minutes designing a sound in a good semi-modular VST than this; U-He Bazille if I really want the cable experience. :)

But each to his own.

16. AstralDis

AstralDis Kapellmeister

I wonder if someone around here has been using it in Reason?

For me, it does behave annoyingly laggy when dragging modules or adding new ones - and I am not talking about CPU spkes - up to the point where it would freeze my whole project. (yes, I know, Reason is just as well to blame for unstable handling of plugins)

Open GL graphics disable/enable - tried both - no difference...

In Bitwig no problems at all.

Thxxx!

edit: using Reason 10, Bitwig 3.3

17. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

OK, I've noticed the lag. It's never frozen my project but I'm not using it in Reason. Damn, I miss Reason. I hoped it might be one of the things that came in the big wave, but hey.

I think my primary reason for wanting to mess around with it is because I want to assess whether or not to take the plunge into Eurorack proper. If I knew someone who had a set up that I could play around with for a few days, that would be perfect, but I don't know any other humans with synths, let alone with Eurorack systems, so it's a perfect thing for seeing whether the workflow suits or not.

This morning, my daughter said, apropos of nothing, "I don't know what that sample pack was, but they were the most horrible sounds I've ever heard in my life."

It isn't so much the oscillators and filters that appeal to me about Eurorack -- these days, my hearing is so lousy I can't really differentiate teh subtle differences between great oscillators and crap ones -- rather, it's the weird and wonderful sequencers and routing capabilities that appeal to me about it.

Also: Reaktor -- played around with it, love various modules but too hard for a lazy moron like me to learn to program. Reaktor is also something of a CPU hog, I find.

Finally -- I started one of Rolf's videos this morning and was put off by the fact that he was demanding cash before I watched any more.

18. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

OK, playing around with Voltage Modular. It seems to sound a bit better than Modular, but it's not jam packed full of fantastic free toys like Modular is. Also, I think the interface between the system and your computer isn't quite so straightforward. I like how Modular gives you a clock with multiple time divisions and you can use that to drive your sequencers, clock dividers, etc. The modules for Voltage Modular seem a lot cheaper.

Still hard to see why anyone would use this limited feature set over VCV though.

19. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

VCV is still stand-alone only, right? There's a reason if so.

20. AstralDis

AstralDis Kapellmeister

my impression: the modeled Euroracks are all pretty delicious sounding and fun to explore. But what about their own core modules like the sequencers and mixers and stuff? They just feel half hearted. I miss a bigger channel mixer, mute buttons on mixers. Mutes on the trigger seq, more options on the CV seq like indiv. step out. Other forms of sequencing, Euclid... etc heheh - anyway I am having fun exploring this gift :)

for anyone curious and brave enough to have a hardcore modular experience, I suggest the glorious Cloudlab 200 , which is by now on version 3 with front patching and available for free in the Reaktor user library.

21. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

VCV gets more love from the developers, look at the polyphony feature
    or look at how native instruments fucked up the custom rack blocks for profit

I use both at the moment but may completely switch over in the future

i have a plugin called VCV-bridge for integrating it into my DAW