Let's Talk About 808's

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Kwissbeats, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

what sparks ur sub bass speaker?

my 2 first generating plugin choices are:

808 warfare (kontakt libary)

subboombass (rob papen)

these 2 guys got the right presets in my opinion and with a little tweaking the attack, decay and release I can really get the solid bass I need,
    but still I'm interested which way your intuition takes you most of the time.

2nd I'm really interested what I can do effect wise, at this moment I really don't use anything other then the occasional routing true a stutter or some sort which has been inserted to a other instrument or an occasional gate....

I'm sure u guys have a different approach, Let me/us know!

Thank you!

3. northcuttbeatz

northcuttbeatz Ultrasonic

My process involves:

first I take an 808 sample, then I like to use plugin boutique's big kick synthesizer to match the pitch of the kick with the 808 and adjust the attack and hold of the kick, then I EQ the mix, add a little pumping compression so the kick isn't too harsh in the mix but still holds a good punch to it, and lastly I might add some saturation and/or an artificial stereo spreader, but it depends.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

FM.
    Or saturated sines, which 808s basically are.

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

There is a lot of 808 samples: simple rap/hiphop/trap/rnb libraries, special libraries with 808 collections only, analoged 808 (saturated/recorded thru cassette tapes, reel-to-reel tapes, vinyls, valve/tube gear/preamps, other vintage/analog stuff like eqs,compressors etc.)....millions of samples - kicks, snares, hats, percs, fx you can find

a lot of drum-synth plugins/drummachine plugins with loaded kits...
    superwave, d16 group, arturia spark etc..............blaaah i don't remember them all because if I use 808 i try to use original samples....easier and faster and warmer because original 808.

as baxter says - FM or saturated sines. Because a 808 kick is usually "click" (maybe a bit lower frequency, not only click) + sine (subbass/bass harmonic) + other harmonic (very small amount of them, more - more saturation/distortion - it gives more body, warmness, very low mids, readibility on smallest speaker, so "bright subbass with attack"). maybe so

6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

SubboomBass. Or any sine wave with a long release. But I like Subboombass' stuff.

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

As a former owner of the real thing I must say I'm very satisfied with the D16's Nepheton in that regard, but I do process it a lot. From the outboard compressors, overdrives, and distortions to the "inboard" [plugins] FX of the same type. It's an immensely usable rhythm machine for every genre of music, it's just a matter of processing. Someone would say it's not usable for industrial and be utterly wrong. :wink: But, I wouldn't call it my main go to drum machine these days, though. It's more of a great filler for everything I do. 909 sounds better for what I do most of the time. I also use D16's Drumazon, yes. Never owned 909, unfortunately. It also sounds best heavily processed with the outboard/inboard gear. I don't really dig sample libraries... I create them myself, for my needs. :wink:

I've been even considering selling my sample CDs but I'm too lazy to do it. And I like keeping my own sounds to myself. Sorry. :( After all it would probably just be yet another 808/909 processed sample library, not even the real thing processed, also. :(

What I encourage people to do is use these rhythm machines, but try to be innovative. Process the hell out of them. Use real sampled drums for the main drums and use electronic drums like 808/909 for layering and FX. It all depends on the genre, of course... I like real drums combined with electro drums personally. It used to be different 20 years ago. :rofl: It was all rhythm machines for me then, but somehow along the way I got in love with the sound of the real drums, too. Best of both worlds, mates... :wink:

Cheers! :mates:

8. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Saturated sins. I use an Access Virus C or most any decent soft synth.