Let's delete all my plugins!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ricbm710, May 16, 2024.

1. luckyLuke7

luckyLuke7 Ultrasonic

If you format your win10 take this opportunity to start with the Ghost Spectre win11 as your OS. No regrets.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

I also figured out that it really makes sense to sometimes have a "delete vst session"

More space for hardware and mind

3. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I did this this week, DAWs are working faster, its been a paradise

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

kind of OCD? Hell, I think it's my living manifestation of it. :).

I am trying to live within limits and spartan these days (although f, even every daw has the kitchen sink for the most part)...

I miss the days, and got more done when I had a sampler 20 kicks and 20 snares on a floppy, and whatever else I would sample myself, one synth, one guitar, one mic, and a Zoom 9030.

Got a lot more done.

5. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

you can extend that strategy even more: start every (read: for the same album) song with the same project file, where all the plug-ins which may theoretically be used are already loaded in their respective place, with the edit window opened but the processing turned off.

like, say, the same compressor and EQ in every channel, one channel with 1-2 voice tools for the singer, a single reverb as the only send effect, a single EQ in the master and then try to limit yourself to that.

i have multiple copies of my old DAW here and only one of them has "all" plug-ins. other copies of the DAW are for developing plug-ins, for (pseudo-)mastering, and for sounddesign (using the DAW as sample editor with special effects, creating immersive audio material, that direction)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Hoggsfeller1

Hoggsfeller1 Ultrasonic

I did that about 6 months ago, and I'm already back to around 300.... mind you I had about three thousand previously..... good luck!
    :bleh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Hoggsfeller1

Hoggsfeller1 Ultrasonic

I'm thinking about ditching all my amp sim stuff and using my old Zoom 9000 straight in. Was listening to some stuff I did with it decades ago and was surprised how good it actually sounded, less the digital noise for being lower bit tech. If anyone knows how to reduce that "shhhh" on the end of notes, please let me know. Lol

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I always recommend this to users who are mired in thousands of plugins when they do a fresh OS/software installation.

You get rid of everything that way. And then you only reinstall stuff on an as-needed basis, for actual projects when you re-open them.

Try to think of your plugins as Inventory. If you were a Purchasing Agent for some business, you would run some kind of "Usage Report" in your MRP/ERP programs. You would never re-order more of something that has been sitting on a shelf for years, and never even been used before. But we think of this as normal to do with plugins we have never used, because one day we "might need them". We have no usage report to run to extrapolate that data. But your existing projects which are missing a plugin, can do exactly the same thing. You will have real world accurate examples of what you have used, and what you haven't. If you haven't used it in a year, don't put it back. That is commonly called Excess/Obsolete i.e. sh*tcan it.

9. BlossomwoodsCollection

BlossomwoodsCollection Kapellmeister

Depending on what Plugin Alliance stuff you have i'd recommend keeping that as well. They really do have some exceptional plugins

10. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

I'm not alone.

11. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

Dump them all but one for each needed task, i.e., EQ, delay, reverb, etc. Well, I'm trying to keep only songwriting tools and plan to send out stems for mix and master.

12. pdbf

pdbf Noisemaker

Is Soothe in your Oeksound folder? I'd be tempted to keep that around.

13. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

I suggest don't delete but move all plugin .vst3 .dll files to a different folder.
    Move a plug-in back to your real VST folder only if you need it in a new project.

Do it for half a year, then your VST directory will be filled only with stuff you really use and need.

14. Synth Life

Synth Life Noisemaker

Bro I looked for a place to put this instead of starting a thread. I have found it helpful. I have kept it in several places on and offline. I cut things way, way down in my system and then found the whole thing terribly lacking. I've gone with a happy medium, paring down as much as possible, and then using DAW organization to keep the less used or more singular use more or less out of sight. The problem doesn't ever seem to go away. Synths are a spice cabinet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. clone

clone Audiosexual

Things may be somewhat different for PC DAW apps, because your plugins are DLL files in many/most cases; performance wise and having so many of them installed. But the part I do not like about having a million plugins on Mac is that they all show up in my dropdown menus. Something like Waves expanded menu can take up half your monitor size. I'm not so much concerned about internal SSD space on my server style computer, but it is more important on my laptop because it has a smaller ssd in it.

When space is not an issue, in Logic's plugin manager it has a list of all the plugins it can see on the system. At the right side of the Plugin Manager, is a checkbox next to each listed plugin that says "USE". So rather than deleting a bunch of plugins, like Waves Mono copies of every damn plugin; I uncheck the Use box. They are gone from Logic's dropdown plugin menus, but I can just re-check the USE box and the plugin appears in the menu again.

See if your DAW can do this same thing in Plugin Manager. It won't help with SSD space right away. But you can run with things unchecked for a while to see if you will even put anything back. Then delete them later.

16. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

Strangely, his identical twin brother is a long distance runner and his name is Feets Zimmer. What are the chances?

17. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

f hans zimmer.

guy hasn't made a sound in well over a decade and curates over the salivating staffs best works to please and appease him and hope to contribute (with little to no credit of course) to whatever he claims he is scoring at the time...

guys a pos these days peeps.

18. Synth Life

Synth Life Noisemaker

Sorry you don't like him. Wasn't meant for controversy. It is a good quote. Maybe put a picture of Miley Cyrus there instead. Have a good one.

19. ChemicalJobby

ChemicalJobby Member

I like Hans Zimmer, learned a lot from him

20. executioner

executioner Guest

Hmm, I don't understand the misplaced hate... I've seen these rumors floating around, but he has always credited who he works with. Even in interviews, he always mentions his collaborators in high esteem. So what if he's taking a more curator/producer role? He is still supervising the project, and his name is attached. The name "Hans Zimmer" holds so much ethos, so it's just the nature and business of his name being a brand itself, that understandably, the industry will capitalize on. I don't view having other composers in a project as exploitation - he actually provides a lot of opportunity and some have even become big composers in their own right (Ramin Djawadi). He's no John Williams, but he sure as hell has brought a lot of innovation into the big screen. What Hans and his team did for the recent Dune Part 2 has been nothing short of amazing. So calling him a POS is a bit of a stretch IMO.