Lets Build an AMD for Video + Audio + Gaming.

Discussion in 'PC' started by martel80, Oct 16, 2015.

1. martel80

martel80 Producer

Hey guys, I'm a new tech level 1 at AMD and i would like to get myself an excellent PC with their line of product.
    I dont necesseraly want to go on the Server CPU + Firepro series because it seems like i would be payingway too much for something that i would not even benefit.

Typicaly , and i think thats where the challenge is , I want to be able to run games on Ultra quality AND be able to use Software like Photoshop and Avid Media composer to edit and render 4K video as fast and best as possible.
    I dont think that at that point, my studio one music project will be of any problem.

So here's what i found so far :

Seems that some of the AMD GPU's have compatibility issues with adobe product....is it the same with Avid ?.
    Seems that most of the recent high end CPU from AMD only support 1866mhz DDR3 compared to a i7-4790K that support DDR3 1600.

Also, why do we have DDR4 2100 mhz and pretty much no machine use it ...or rarely.

I know that if money is not a thing, Intel are about 1/3 further then any AMD product right now but as i am a newly tech at AMD , i want to learn about their product and see what are the benefit of their line other then only the price.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts on a brand new build.....i dont want to go on the server series at all....so forget about the Intel XEON and AMD Opteron CPUs and forget about the AMD Firepro and Intel Nvidia Workstation GPUs.

I want to build a Super high end Desktop ....not a company server for 3d rendering.

Thanks

3. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

May be a stupid question, but i have to ask anyway: Why not an Intel CPU?? There are good price at the moment.

I ask because I had 2 AMDs and i regrets to buy them both while super happy with Intels...

4. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

You sure about that? Because the last time I checked they weren't exactly cheap, especially the 2011-3 ones...

5. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

The socket you mentioned is used mainly for Xeon... i'm refering to the LGA 1150 as good price... but still don't know what kind of AMD cpu the OP is looking for...

There are also some cpus for the 2011-3 wich are quite good and the price isn't that high. I'm refering to i7-5820k wich is listed about 390$

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

6. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

Stick with Intel i7...period..I don't care which socket or chipset you choose. Do your research for those. Minimum should be a Quad core i7

7. martel80

martel80 Producer

I agree with all of you guys that Intel is far better in all aspect compared to AMD at the moment.

I also had extremely bad experience with AMD, 3 to 5 years ago, when building for clients.

Like i said earlier, i want to build a AMD because i want to know where they are right now.
    I'm working for them now, so i'd like to know the product in real life....not only on paper.

Another really interesting fact that i just discovered through a benchmark is that Intel system based read/write/communicate with his memory a bit more then twice as fast then AMD at the moment .

But still, the question remain.....

If i'm going with AMD , will it be a total failure or just an under performant system that wont be worth any good?

Anyways, what i'm really looking for here is someone that has a recent High end AMD built and can share is positivie / negative thought on it

8. martel80

martel80 Producer

9. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

I've heard good things about the Phenom II processors. I'm looking at the 6 core for an am3 board I scored of a mate when he upgraded.
    Looking at it from a logical point of you. If AMD processors were that bad they wouldn't be in business anymore. And a bad experience when trying a product with a poorer reputation will stand out due to confirmation bias.

10. martel80

martel80 Producer

You got a good point there !

Heres how its going right now on the cpu market share
    80 to 20%intel vs amd
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

Other point that i have to share is that the newest FX 9000 processors share benchmark place with 4 years old intel processor that are now at the same price.
    In fact, Intel got about 20 product that rank higher in the benchmark and at the same price range or cheaper then the new Intel.

I am very confused.

I will build a AMD , theres no doubt. But as i understand it from my training, both infrastructure cannot be compared anymore because they are reacting totaly differently.

Of course, if i had 4000$ i would build an AMD server with Crossfire Fury, but thats not the type of productthat my main clients will call me about.

I still have to decide what part i will try and how i will match them

I think i'll aim at video editing and rendering First , because i know its asking for a lot of resources compared to other task.

11. U-Kadian

U-Kadian Kapellmeister

Took the words right outa my mouth :rofl:

12. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

It's not terribly better than the 4790K too, as you might guess. The only reason to get a 2011-3 (Haswell-EP) system is to get CPUs with lots of PCI-E lanes for Quad SLI setups or serious PCI-E madness. :) Unless you aren't doing it, there is no point. For most audio purposes, it's probably overkill. Maybe if you do enormous scoring in VEP though...

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

14. martel80

martel80 Producer

15. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

I think I can answer to the Adobe question. They were on Intel/Nvidia side for long time, but lately they are supporting more and more of AMD. The thing is they all (Adobe, Autodesk, The Foundry, etc) are adopting the CUDA technology and AMD is keeping track of that (I'm not sure if they are implementing CUDA or a similar technology that the softwares support). So if you keep dated with AMD you should be fine. That said so, not compared to a Xeon/Nvidia Quadro combo, but still, not a bad choice for video editing. I believe the major clientele you'll get is the videostreaming/gaming/youtube kind of thing (Thinking that Big clients like CG studios or production studios would choose Xeon/Nvidia) so they don't require much than support games at ultra, Camtasia and Premiere or something for simple editing (Intros and basic color grading). Bottom line; you should be fine with it

16. martel80

martel80 Producer

Thank you verymuch for the info, that was very educating.

I'll dig more into the CUDA thing

17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

AMD CPU/GPU is not necessarily incompatible with editing vidyas in premiere, see

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Intel Core2 Duo or AMD Phenom II processor with 64-bit support
    • Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

To be processed by the GPU acceleration, a frame requires ((widthxheight)/16,384) megabytes.

}}}

I have an i3, but no gfx card, that's fine, I can still edit Full HD in software-only rendering iirc.

18. martel80

martel80 Producer

I know its not incompatible ....but lets just say that its not optimized !!

I want to build a PC that will be one of the fastest at rendering .....but using AMD part.

As far as i understood, my GPU wont change a thing in the rendering process......in fact , it seems like it wont change a thing at all.....wich i find weird !!!

19. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Lets Build an Intel for Video + Audio + Gaming.
    and a Hackintosh too best of both worlds

20. martel80

martel80 Producer

Not quite sure how relevant to the topic you wanted to be but, yeah, ok .

21. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Well, i was able once to get my laptop with AMD working with OSX, i think i've used a iatkos release. But it's quite a nightmare to do. there are some Intel CPUs + Motherboard with works nearly natively with latest OSX release. But this is way off topic now.