less is more...need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by studio-view, Nov 16, 2016.

1. studio-view

studio-view Member

Hello All
    i would love to hear from you guys what is the very few vst instrument and effect instrument you recommended me to use ?
    as far as hardware i use the Prophet 6 , but i want to add 1 or 2 vst instrument to cover the sound that the P6 might not do
    as for effect i use ableton 9 so the build in effect are very good but do you think if i add waves mercury/soundtoys / fabfilter it will cover all what i will ever need ?
    bottom line i just want to stick to the "less is more" and make the must out of it
    thanks for any suggestions

3. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

As You already have real analogue machine You dont need any VA emulation. Just get modern sounding wavetable synth like Massive or Serum and may be FM8 as FM synth and Kontakt as standard for sampler.
    this set of vsts cover all your need and way more. Mercury pack has two synth Anologue and wavetable.

4. studio-view

studio-view Member

Thanks Alex
    do you think the prophet will cover sounds that for example Diva or Omnisphere have ?
    if you need to pick one out of this 3 - mercury/soundtoys / fabfilter which one you will pick ?

5. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I don't have any hardware but if I have to suggest only one vsti it will be u-he Zebra. I am not undermining Diva though but we are talking about only one!

Among vsts, it's better to pick and choose between the two - soundtoys and ff. Eiminate mercury. But again if down to one only then Soundtoys. HOWEVER, ff plugs are beast as well. It is hard to choose for less is more among the plugs you have stated my friend.

6. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

Real analogue instrument always better than it replica with only one thing, You have to know how to use it. In contrast Diva and Omnisphere have a lot of precets. From this two in your case I would take Omni, because Diva is CPU monster and You dont need that analogue quality, because You have real synth (actually very good synth). But if You want to take one, I would take Serum, to have modern cold and complex sounds. Zebra also very good synth but you'll never have that Serum sound from it.

If I can take only one for production, i would take Waves, because it has all plugs EQ, Delays, Reverbs etc. But actually I prefer Soundtoys for delays and saturation, FF for EQ, Waves have some good reverbs, but I prefer Valhalla.

7. relexted

relexted Producer

Less is more only applies on the end results of my music.
    it does not apply to the amount of plugins or gear you use.
    That's how I see it.