Lenny Belardo follows the advice of the community

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Lenny Belardo, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@Lenny Belardo You took out "there's nothing to do"!? Has to be used in one of the choruses at least, imo.
    Now I think I want to hear some of those vocal harmonies from the first mix too! But later on.
    Great to hear just your main vocal at last! You have nothing to worry about.

Was going to PM you this, so don't pull the track or whatever. You're a big boy.
    The correction on the autotune is glitching back and forth at almost triplets or 16ths in places. It's not always detectable, but it's in the first verse even.
    It really deserves to sound more natural, please.
    I can hear you did a lot of good work on it though.
    Thank you for sharing this stuff with us, big nuts. Much respect.
    I love you, man!

2. Smoove Grooves

No, off-topic! :yes:
    Go and create your own music. Then make a thread like Lenny did.

3. Krusk

Krusk Kapellmeister

No matter how hard I try, I will never be like him. He's God and even the title of my previous thread referred to him.:yes:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

[​IMG]

5. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

I prefer the previous version Lenny, although the arrangement stands out more, there's a whole lot of charm in those vocals!

I'm dying slowly
    there’s nothing to do
    not in control of myself
    but still in a whirl over you

simply brilliant dude... this would put a smile on Roger Waters' face ... :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Smoove Grooves

Agreed.
    Yet I feel there will be a nice middle ground resulting. Something that utilises all of this, included a nice naked solo vocal in a few places.
    Because poignance.

7. I'd removed "nothing to do" following completion of the multi tracked version because it was so hard to get 8 vocal transients on the t and the d to line up. I comped this from 4 takes to get 1 good version and I think I made a few cuts that threw a wobble into Melodyne and after 20 minutes of fiddling with it I realised I was just making it worse. Then that part of the brain that says "this is just for fun! Don't beat yourself up about it" kicks in and I move on. I agree. Some of the harmonies would be nice. Thanks for the love. I'm not getting much from my dogs. Did I tell you my dogs are called Bowie and Eno?

8. refix

refix Platinum Record

ecce homo! though, as you have said, you are in fact playing a character narrating their experiences -- you can always hide behind that. most performers do that to a certain extent in various ways. i can be a pretty intense experience without some sort of buffer. strange that you would find "rugged" and "gentle" as incompatible. it has not been my experience with people. even the most physically sturdy among us are extremely soft with a thin veil of skin and eminently vulnerable compared to the majority of other lifeforms.

on second thought maybe we should not approach perfection to closely, lest the gods become jealous. it didn't go well for Icarus.

9. refix

refix Platinum Record

their first album was ok, but after that they went a little bananas. [sorry, so cliche but i had to do it.]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Prepare to weep as I lay bare the black heart of my doom laden soul on my next song

my sightless sad kite dives into the sea
    keeps right on burning in black waters deep
    the strings on my fingers have wound round my heart
    the ships in the harbour pull the stitching apart

I long for the blue skies the suns last retreat
    but no one will notice the kite at my feet
    the tears on it's framework I braced them with bones
    from sad fallen sparrows who died all alone

Alone
    Who knew they died alone?
    Alone
    Who knew they died alone?

this blood red bright carving how deep should it go?
    if I'm reaching the bone now I really should know
    they trace out the aching but lead me nowhere
    if my kite isn't flying in the end I don't care

I've forgotten the bright skies now storm clouds surround
    everyone's watching the kite on the ground
    the tears are it calling I now call it home
    I share with the sparrows who died all alone

Alone
    We knew they died alone
    Alone
    We knew they died alone

the lambs in the winter they say no goodbyes
    they're not that convincing at telling us lies
    it's cold and it's freezing the red snow's a whorl
    the dead kite's descent it blinds the eyes of the girl

I have known heartache and I've known despair
    I have been no one and I've been nowhere
    my kite has no framework I shattered it's bones
    I have no more pity for those all alone

Alone
    We all will die alone
    Alone
    We all will die alone

11. refix

refix Platinum Record

"i've seen the future, brother: it is murder"

12. I too gazed into that abyss and fervently wishing to deny God the pleasure of taking me decided that self murder would anger Him greatly.

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Is there a new species I'm not aware of?
    Just to be clear, Vegans and flatearthers doesn't qualify.
    And blew up with a passion.
    Edited: I forgot to reply this and now I feel too lazy

14. Smoove Grooves

VocAlign.

15. refix

refix Platinum Record

it is a purposeful paradox in order to make a point. i do not see how anyone could interpret it as a comment on speciation.

16. Smoove Grooves

@Lenny Belardo New mix obviously shows that I needn't have mentioned the AutoTune thing, as it doesn't notice against other vocals, and I regret saying it.
    And, I'm sorry, but did you try a version where the b-vox come in on the chorus/orch part?

17. refix

refix Platinum Record

not exactly what i was thinking, but ok. i was more saying that you were announcing a future release and it was, after reading the words, slightly pessimistic.

something about your work reminds me a bit of leonard cohen. the quote popped into my head. there is even an incidental first name thing going on.

i am glad Smoove Grooves virtual crossface headlock persuaded you to experiment with the song, seems to work. there is a delineation that maintains interest and a pay off upon recapitulation.

i propose, as a working audiosex policy, that Smoove Grooves is employed to whip a quick toehold, or something, on any lazy songwriters to encourage more exciting arrangements.

18. refix

refix Platinum Record

no need for autotune or any of those fancy processors. get it right at the source. if a singer is sharp, a stiff shot of whisky will bring them back to the center of the note and relax them into the pocket, you may have to resort to opium or equivalent if they are way out there. something like adderall will ease them up to the note and encourage a performer to push the beat. cigarettes or chillums for character and distortion/saturation, etc.

hopefully the AES will not implement any P.E.D testing in the future or i will have to resort to plugins.

19. It was the harmonies that made it monotonous running throughout. So it was a choice of applying the thicker vocal to the sparse backing and solo the voice where the orchestration has room to breath. The winds, oboe and strings weren't lifting it with so many vocals.