Lend me your speakers...

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by OOM, Feb 11, 2024.

1. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

...and your ears!! And your mind!!! Need feedback for a TECHNO track that I've made/working on. Any response is very much welcomed. Thanks.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

dunno i like techno... i like this. cool arp cool tear/chord/stab sound not sure wtf those are called heavy ass kick and verb. sounds good on my headphones sorry i don't have speakers, you'll have to wait for someone else with better gear for that kinda feedback. but the song is sick imo.

4. typical-love

typical-love Producer

On a basic level... It's good. I won't lie and tell you I listened to the whole track, I didn't. But here's a direction I can point you in: zoom out. There's not enough evolution in your track. Look at the best techno tracks now, there's more evolution than you have here in the overall arc of the song. The kick being consistent through the entire track is evident of an amateur by today's standards. Compare your song to others in terms of overall arc of the song and how many elements remain, and how many change, and how many are introduced. Overall though, it's solid. If you're capable of this, you're capable of making a great techno track. Don't stop. I'm nearly blackout drunk btw.

5. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Glad you stopped with mind, expected, "lend me your body" next :unsure::rofl:

Well, I was debating whether to send you the speakers before I entered the thread, so let's get into Realphones Concert Hall Large, it's the least I can do, glad I don't have to lend you my speakers or body :thumbsup:

It works, I could see myself grinding my teethes to this all sweaty and ruined, approved. :guru:

6. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Only listened to it on laptop, but me liek. I second what typycal-love already said, it could use a bit more variety.

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I don't listen to techno but I listened to this. Though, if I were to criticize your song I'd only say that it needs some cowbell to put it over the top.

8. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

im a techno fanatic, my impressions, its a fun song, but as others have noted its lacking in arrangement. it needs more tension and release. As well as some more ear candy / automation, which will help with the tension and release. The acid bass that filters up could also have the release automated over time, like 32 bars or even 64, you can also automate a reverb or delay on it, transit from baby audio is great for that kind of stuff, or just use your go to.

I also feel like its lacking in crucial lo mid energy. That heavy wooomp woooomp. That knock you in the chest, forcing you to move thump. some saturation in the mid band may help, it may need added production.

Another note, some strange found sound type loop or break tucked in there can help to give it more groove / interest & ear candy.

Techno is easy to make, but its also hard. it takes knowing how to tastefully breathe life, create tension, thump people to oblivion etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I feel like there's too much high mid presence in the kick. It takes away from the rest of the elements. I guess it's just a matter of taste though. The acid arp could also use a bit more ambience and movement, like a short diffused delay and/or maybe some autopanning. Everything sounds a bit dry and in-your-face right now.

I should say that I'm no techno producer, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. I have listened to a lot of techno throughout the years though, especially while I lived in Barcelona.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

i think you should make the intro of the file sound more deliberate, if that's how you want it. it immediately gives the listener a reason to listen for "more mistakes" than just accepting stuff as "mix decisions". The first listen, I thought maybe your rumble/ambience starts too soon, or too quickly. And it might, but half of that is probably due to the file beginning.

11. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

MP3@128 is not a good template to test. Bass has a big dip at 100-200 Hz, making it muffled and ill-defined. Missing highs 4.5-15 kHz, so the overall sound is murky and dull, with subdued transients (especially in percussion). It is over-compressed, so it sounds shallow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

I would just like to say thank you to those of you who took the time to listen to my song, your willingness to lend me your speakers, headphones, ears, and minds (but not your body haha) is greatly appreciated. All your input and advice have been incredibly valuable to me. My listening environment is not the best or most ideal so I was curious how something I attempted to master myself would translate to other people's listening environment, whether it was simple or professional. I am aiming to emulate some of these types of songs/artists/labels:

Klint - Octane [SUARA].
    The Southern - Comfort Zone [KNEADED PAINS].
    The Southern - Switch [CLR].
    Marcal - Enemy 9 [SUARA].
    Richie Hawtin - Acid King (f.u.s.e. bass dub) [From Our Minds].
    Hertz Collision and Gene Richards Jr - Hood Thang [TRUNCATE].

Here is the WAV file version of my song that maybe you could compare with the artists/songs/labels mentioned and let me know where I may be going wrong in the mastering process if you are interested.
    https://jmp.sh/9XnOMzZq
    Thanks again, have a good day :wink:

13. zadiac

zadiac Ultrasonic

Will work well in an action B movie.

14. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Really? That's awesome, maybe you can pass it on to Chuck Norris! :rofl:

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I agree with the delay @shinyzen mentioned, but I think you should try d16 tekturon, if you haven't. all their stuff is nice, but your upriser crescendo percussion roll thing makes me mention it. if not here's a quick video of it. i'd probably overuse this thing if I made more techno style stuff.

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Listen to Richie Hawtin's No Way Back, write some notes about how the track evolves, and then revisit this with some new steering pointers, double the length, and make the evolution of the track more drastic, less predictable, and you'll get in the ball park of that more minimal and hypnotic techno that I think you're trying to aim for.

Also, to my ears, your bottom end is too flabby and undefined so lacks that techno punch, and it sounds like it's partly because your rumble is too loud and partly because your kick tail is too long and undefined so muddies up when the tail blends with the rumble. That may just be my subjective view on it though :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  17. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

...happens to the best of us! :rofl:
    But seriously, thanks for taking the time to listen to my track and providing some input on ways you would improve things. Did you play it back on headphones or speakers? And did you listen to the Soundcloud mp3 link or the WAV file link?? I like Richie and that track is cool but I much prefer this style of "Hawtin" techno with regards to my production...
    :winker:

18. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I switched between 5" monitors, 8" monitors, DT990 Pro headphones, and M50X headphones as I listened and used the Soundcloud link provided.

This, to me, is the best thing Richie Hawtin ever did in terms of fairly simple, minimalistic techno rotating around a single idea, but still manages variety and unexpected directions within the track :wink:

20. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Thanks for taking the time and interest to do so. Which frequencies did you cut or boost? And what software did you use? I am curious to try for myself when attempting to master a track of my own again haha

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm a rock/metal guy so not my genre. But hearing this I kinda feel I could use a couple ecstasy pills.
    Nostalgia... indirect compliment? I'll leave that to the public... :rofl:

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List