Legit libraries alongside (same) non-legit ones?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by TaxiDriver, May 10, 2019.

1. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

I searched for this particular situation an found many threads regarding legit vs crackd Kontakt, but not an answer to this one. So I'm asking this before I make a mess..:)

Running W10 64, C'cked Kontakt 6.0.4 I'd like to register separately the legit library, keeping the SAME "old" test-one. When registering the legit one, the old one disappears - which is kinda obvious, as they share the same Name, SNIPD, RegKey... What would I have to change (in nicnt? xml..?), to keep the old borrowed library.

It would be even better to have separate versions of Kontakt- one for legit stuff, the other for testing..;) Anyway any directions highly appreciated :) (and apologies if this one was already answered)

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

You could delete the .xml, change the SNPID number in the .nicnt in a text editor, and then reload. And if it appears to have not loaded, find the newly created .xml and change its SNPID number from <000> to what you changed it to in the .nicnt.

edit: Ah. So when you say you want to 'keep' the old version, are you saying you want it to run along side the newer version?
    If so, you would have to change the name of the library of one of them too, in the .nicnt. But this can get sticky. It depends.
    Maybe someone else can chime in with some help...
    Make sure you keep original files of anything I've told you to change!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. Smoove Grooves

Why can't you just use a K'd Kontakt for all libs, and be done with it? I have 'legit' libs with non-legit all in one version of Kontakt. :dunno:

5. TaxiDriver

That I was thinking..^^ ..if not also the registry entry :dunno:
    That would of course work if those were different libs. And for now I only consider using K'd Kontakt. The only difference is that I would like to keep the library (from the, let's say, sis site) along with the SAME legit lib.. yeah, I know, I tend to complicate things..;)

Edit: they are not exactly "the same" (as far as version is concerned..), but the .nicnt for ex. is same enough to cancel the other, when registered in Kontakt..:/

6. Smoove Grooves

Whoa! Hang, hang on....'same' libraries. Took a long time to sink into my head..., sorry! :deep_facepalm:
    That's not really doable. And why needed, would be my question? Perhaps only doable if you changed the name and .SNPID of one, before adding the other, as I said. But there is no difference between a shared or 'legit' library...
    Plus you can't register a lib with a k'd Kontakt, afaik. And why would you want to?

I'm guessing one lib is compressed to the smaller file size, and you have projects you've used it in, and you haven't compressed the newer lib? Or something like that?

7. Smoove Grooves

Well, no. Coz If you did what I said, then when you loaded the newer one, with info changed in the SNPID, the .xml would be the same as how you amended the .SNPID.
    I'm Mac, but I think 'the registry' is not to do with 'registering' a lib.
    Which I don't think you really need, or want, to do.

8. Smoove Grooves

Lol! Well, yeah, that's a given. obvs.
    And in this case, as I said, there is no difference between a shared or bought library.
    wow. I'm confused by why you are making it tricky for yourself! Lol.

9. TaxiDriver

My bad, I meant when "added".. sry. As far as the reason goes - one is that the libraries (the content) are/is different. Legit one is newer version, that wasn't (yet) "shared".

The other is that the audio that I send out professionally (for watermarking and copyright by our publishers organization) has to be "kinda" made only with legit (registered to my name) libs - some composers had problems because of library producers nagging (Kontakt doesn't matter here). But I would't like to open this debate here..;)

I'll see what can be done, as you advised - with caution.. :yes:

Edit:
    I think on Win it does, in a way - when you add a lib, it gets it's "entry" in the Registry.. but I was thinking about registering with Native Access serial..

10. Smoove Grooves

Aha. I see. Well, everything I've said is stuff I've done and tried.
    Yep. Understand. Same for me.
    ...apart from when doing commercial work! lol

So. Are you gonna 'share' the lib on sister site? lol.
    Nah. It's possible if a dev sees it's your version that's been shared around the world a million times, you may not ever be able to login to the dev's site again.
    But then, I've also heard that it sometimes has not affected things at all.
    Water-marking or hidden code in individual libs is the only way it would get traced back to you. IF those protections even actually exist in the lib you have.

Ciao for now!

ps.
    Ah. "Same" libraries (you said!), but different now!
    I'm very thoughtful, and sometimes very pedantic. If I'd known that these 'same' libs were not actually the same, I may have lost less brain-cells wondering what on earth you were doing! lol.