Legit Kontakt w/ Portable Kontakt in same DAW / Session

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlexBMusic, Jan 30, 2020.

1. AlexBMusic

AlexBMusic Newbie

Hello community, quick question here:

I want to run a legit VST x64 Kontakt 6 parallel to a portable VST version of Kontakt 6 at the same time in the same sessions / DAW, both are the same version 6.2.1

Why?
    Because I'm a control freak and I'd like to use / open the k'd version only when it's necessary in my projects (using libs i don't own)

Is this possible? I'd like to keep the original "Kontakt" (LEGIT) vst name on my DAW to be able to open old projects without issues, and have the Portable named like "Portable Kontakt" so that they don't interfere with each other.

DAW is the latest Presonus Studio One, Windows 10.

Thank you for your time.

3. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

I do this, except it's with 2 different versions of Kontakt Portable. One I open normally in Studio One, the other I open via Bluecat's Patchwork. I'd also like it know if there's a practical way to do it both via Studio One as renaming the .dll didn't work.

If there's no other way, then oh well. My current method is good enough.

4. AlexBMusic

AlexBMusic Newbie

Thank you, that is indeed one way to do it, may I ask why do you do it tho? considering its 2 different versions of Kontakt Portable.

5. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

It's a long story. Basically it boils down to my irrational fear of upgrading so I figured I'd continue using 6.0.2 as my main, and use 6.2.1 for every other library, ie, the ones that require a version of kontakt later than 6.0.2, which albeit are few.

6. briandsimulator

briandsimulator Newbie

Rather than start a new thread thought I might as my question here as it kind of relates.

inhave kontakt 6 portable and I recently purchased a Komplete kontrol m32. Now I did install native access and updated the firmware so I can go to reaper and select the device and it seems to work but i dont have any scale or arpegiate functions or anything like that. I think that happens in Komplete kontrol. Which is something different from kontakt? Maybe?

I’m quite confused by the kontakt stuff and would like to be able to use the m32 fully functioning with portable. Any thoughts?

7. Lonely_Avatar

Lonely_Avatar Ultrasonic

Kontakt 6.21 Portable Readme:

"If your DAW can't see portable VST plugin at the same time as the installed one, modify PluginID in the corresponding section of VST plug-ins settings file (Settings.ini), for example:

[Kontakt Portable x64.dll]
    PluginId=Ni$d"

Where are the S1 Plugin settings?

8. Lonely_Avatar

Lonely_Avatar Ultrasonic

Figured it out:

[​IMG]

Just go to where kontakt portable dll is installed and modify the plugin id settings.ini and voila, you can run the same version of normal kontakt and portable versions.

9. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

the portable is not seen by Komplete or Maschine, you should use the unlocked Kontakt instead.

10. CMAudioz

CMAudioz Member

sorry, but can you tell me what ID you used exactly for Kontakt 6?
    I don't see any ID shown, apart from version number, then in brackets (R113). Currently, my DAW can only see the portable version which to get it to work, I put in its own folder within the VST plugins folder that gets scanned, legit Kontakt is in the usual NI folder but the DAW cannot see it!
    I thought maybe changing the ID of the portable kontakt may fix the issue.

11. hzk

hzk Noisemaker

It work for Cubase 10.5 i found the 2 version (portable and legit) but I use most Studio One 5.3 and this one doesn't see the legit from R2R (6.6.1)

If someone can help ...

Thanks

12. Lonely_Avatar

Lonely_Avatar Ultrasonic

Edited the settings.ini file - PluginId=Ni07
    if you reinstall kontakt, you need to use this id from now on, to load old projects