Legit Cubase Pro 11 - Suddenly unable to insert plugs on any tracks even brand new sessions? Help!

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by belinea2010, Mar 17, 2021.

1. belinea2010

belinea2010 Kapellmeister

Windows 10 (NOT conected to the web)
    32 Gig Ram
    Cubase Pro 11 (Legit)

As the title says - all working great last night, opened a session and suddenly I am unable to insert plugs on any tracks even brand new sessions and in sessions that do have insert plugs, I am unable to remove them and can only edit a few?

Normally if I move the mouse cursor over a empty insert slot and click on it I got the drop down menu list on plugs installed but when I try that now some slots will not show this menu and a couple will if I sit here clicking the mouse many times.

In my sessions with plugs already inserted I can not select to remove or change them and I have to double click on them many times to be able to open the plug and work on its parameters.

If I create a new project and insert for example an audio track I am unable to even insert a plug at all even by clicking the mouse many times.

Nothing new has been installed on my machine and it has been working perfectly until today.

All my graphics, system and hardware drivers are uptodate and I do not have Constrain Delay Compensation turn on (I tried the turn it on and turn it off trick) and yet I am able to load all plugs in Studio One 5, Spectralayers. Soundforge and Pro Tools First so it is certainly a cubase issue.

I am in the middle of important project for a client that needs to be finished in a day or so and right now I can not do a damn thing?

Has anyone any suggestions please?

3. morris

morris Ultrasonic

reaper

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. belinea2010

morris - not helpful and not answering my question.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

The people over at Steinberg will probably have you delete some preferences. Something that might totally kill your workflow. I feel bad for you. I cant offer any solutions other than a full wipe of user preferences or a reinstall...

6. belinea2010

Moogerfooger. Thank man.

What will happen if I wipe my preferences, what will physical happen in my project or projects?

7. Fourier

Fourier Ultrasonic

They will exist as they were, so nothing.

But you have to set up all preferences again. If you have any customized UI stuff such as customized colors, keybinds etc, you have to do it over again. You have to set up your VST folders again and scan them again and set up any VST categories again if you had any.

That being said, for your particular issue, there's very specific files that you have to delete if I remember correctly the issue. Backup the preferences folder, then delete it completely - let Cubase start and see if your issue is fixed. After that move your old files back (and replace them), then go through the painstaking process of deleting them one by one to see which one fixes the issue. And for future, backup the folder every now and then anyway (because it can reset by itself, unfortunately).

If the issue isn't there, then reinstall and backup the preferences folder before you do a reinstall.

All your projects will stay 100% intact. However they wont appear in the Cubase starting screen, you have to locate the projects in project folders which are in Documents/Cubase Projects (or wherever you have set them to be).

8. belinea2010

Scrub my last question, here is what I have tried but the issue still remains:

I have tried saving the project, both to its existing location and a brand new on on a different drive which made no difference.

This isssue affects all of my project files, including ones finished months ago, the current one and any new ones I try and make.

I have also tried ctrl-alt-shift while cubase boots and also disabling all 3rd party plugs but it made no difference.

I also Copied the whole of the Steinberg folder from "Appdata"/roaming/Steinberg to an external HD then deleted it from Appdata and then allowed Cubase to rebuild it but again the result is the same.

9. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

why don't you ask steinberg

10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I havent the slightest what could be going wrong other than it could possibly be one of Cubases HUNDREDS of redundant workflow options that could be conflicting? But selecting a plugin for an insert isn't even an option to modify. I doubt the forum at Steinberg will be of any help unless you reach out to an active member. I NEVER get responses from actual Steinberg mods/admins.... If you decide to delete your preferences basically your studio layout & things like that will have to be rebuilt again. It won't damage any projects, but if your setup is miles away from default settings it will take awhile to get things back to just how you like...

11. belinea2010

Because tghey no longer have a UK based telephone support, its all in Germany now and the cost of calling Germany and having to wait on hold for hours on a mobile is too high. Plus my mobile is in use all of the time.

Thier email support can take days to get back to you and I need this sorted asap.

12. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

try safe mode or probably reinstalling cubase

13. belinea2010

yeah the Steinberg forum is completely usless, especially the new one and you are right, no one from Steinberg monitors and replys in it.

At one time I could pick up the phone and call Steinberg here in the UK at their UK tech support and maybe after a 10 min wait the tech support always knew the issue and how to fix it. A friend of mine worked there for a while and they were trained in every single aspect of computer hardware and Steinbergs progams but now its just crap.

14. belinea2010

what do you mean by safe mode?

15. dondada

dondada Rock Star

im not trying to antagonize you
    but did you try to simply restart your machine?

Leave the dongle out at restart
    then plug it in after cubase ask for it

Second option instal an older version
    just to see what happens
    you can go as far as cubase 4 or three

but one whole version back could rebuild whats wrong (if you are lucky)

all the best:wink:

16. Ariel Gonzalez

all the preferences are default. you have press shift + alt + ctrl/command while clicking the executable. (or after i think)

17. dondada

dondada Rock Star

One more thing, depending how you set up your comp
    You can Revert back to an earlier version of your system
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10
    could help too

you have a normal bacup?

18. Fourier

Fourier Ultrasonic

You haven't said anything that indicates that you have tried a complete reinstall. Maybe do that now if you haven't?

19. belinea2010

I am trying to roll back to a restore point created on Saturday - we shall see if that fixes it

20. belinea2010

The restore point roll back made no difference.

My Cubase 11 Pro was and upgrade from Cubase Elements 10.5 and the 10.5 directory remains on my machine including the 10.5 exe so I also opened 10.5 and the issues still happen in 10.5. Something wierd is going on.

21. Ariel Gonzalez

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/most-inserts-do-not-work/676277/12 maybe this can help. one of the final answers seems to be similar maybe