leftfield dance EP - Feedback please

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by T Frog, Jun 29, 2024 at 11:33 PM.

1. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

hi guys. Been a while since i did a release- 6 years. Been working up my confidence (and technique) to finally come up with something i want to have out in the world again. Would really appreciate some tips on mixing, production... and labels that could be interested in this kind of music (and are taking demos).

peace, thanks in advance

3. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

Ah fuck no private playlists embedded- making it public for now

4. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

these are dope! im a huge fan of this kind of stuff. congrats on the release! i totally get the burden of self doubt, but i think you got it down dude!

Anhedonic - my least favorite. feels a little busy. the beat is pushing and pulling a bit too much. I think the sound design / main pad and bass are good, just the kick, hat and clap feel too loose, and are fighting against the clicky bubbly percs. If there was a way to apply groove to those elements as a whole, it may glue them and lock in a groove. The right bus compression could help too.

hadouken - great track. would maybe fade things out towards the end, so its almost to the same arrangement as the beginning.

throwing hands - my favorite of the group

voicemail dub - similar to track one, the groove feels like its fighting against itself. The kick is maybe too busy in some sections. I also feel like the drums could be weirder. Not groove wise, but filtered, and processed a bit. the kick sounds too "deadmau5y" for a lack of a better word lol. A bit too boxy and present, i feel like it could thrive if it was super lpf'ed, just low end energy, nice and round, less punchy and edm. This track is also a bit quieter than the rest.

cool tracks overall. if you dont listen to him already, you should check out minor science.

as well as Out of place artefacts - this album is insane.

some of vril's solo stuff. pretty much one of my all time favorite albums

more techno, but your stuff reminded me of this song from Architectural

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I checked out the track Anhedonic Choices. I like the idea of the off-beat percs jumping around, but you might give them some more thought. I know they are on purpose, but sometimes the real trick to left-field music is walking the fine line between eclectic sounding and unintentional sounding. Sounds good.

6. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

Thank you! I appreciate your analysis so much. I can defo see what you mean about the kick being better off lowpassed. I know what you mean about the groove fighting itself, though that's exactly what I'm going for. I have this Kowton track "Pea Soup" in the back of my mind for this. Will rethink how it can work tho.
    On Anhedonic... That's a really good shout. I'll try something a bit more driving in the percussion, maybe it will help locking it in.

Funnily enough you liked the tracks that I worked my ass on- more than id care to admit. I know minor science yeah! Though I'll listen more carefully to his output. Can't thank you enough for your dedicated ears and encouragement, seriously.

7. T Frog

T Frog Noisemaker

Very true, might have to rethink that one a bit, thanks!