Led Zepplin Style Drum Kit for Kontakt

Discussion in 'Collaborations' started by spencer26, Aug 30, 2014.

1. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

I am putting together a Led Zepplin Style Drum Kit for Kontakt. I am creating the samples from one of my sessions with inbuilt reverb.
    Each sample will have reverb built in.
    I need somebody to turn the samples into a usable Kontakt Instrument.
    I want it to sound like "When the Levy Breaks" drums that have been used so many times.

I was responsible for creating a lot of the Fairlight series 3 samples, so I do know what I am doing.
    I would like to name the Kontakt Instrument as "Led Zep Sounding Drumkit" by Spencer Lee and whoever gets on board to create the instrument.
    I would like to give this away on the net and see how many records we can get this on.

The samples will be ready in 24 hours. Please PM me if you are interested.
    Spencer

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Spencer26,

As you want to create a 'Kontakt' Drum Kit based on your own Samples, maybe my suggestion wouldn't be exactly what you're looking for... BUT why not use a pre-existing Kontakt 'Drum Kit', as it exists plenty of them, and simply replace the original provided Samples with yours, then when all is at your taste, save your work as a 'New' Kontakt Instrument' ('Drum Kit'). *yes*

Most of these (commercial) Kontakt Drum Kits are really well done with, in some cases, huge possibilities of settings (mics and overheads positions, velocities, layers,... ). *yes*

Then you can add your own 'Wallpaper' Signature, and eventually, other of your 'Homemade' options.

That's simply a suggestion *yes*... and Good Luck in your quest ! :wink:

Hope to see it, soon or later, all over the Internet !!! :thumbsup:

4. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

@ Spencer26 Search around its been done a few times they all exhibit the same problem you need somebody who can play like John Bonham to bring out the sound at the tracking stage and in final production.

Good luck in your adventure.

Ps I did back then and still do despise page 'R' :wink:

5. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

I dont know if this could be useful for your experiments, but just for information, The Loop Loft has made a Series called: Beats Like Bonham Complete Takes Volumes 1 to 6 in WAV format. Is another source of Zeppelin like samples...

:wink: :wink:

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ The-Robot,

*yes* ...and a somewhat 'Andy Johns' Clone to make, how to say that... the 'Final Polish' of the whole !!! :rofl:

@ Transporter1333,

*yes* :wink:

Hence my suggestion of using an existing 'Kontakt' Drum Kit Library, because 'Spencer26' want to use his own Samples instead... *yes*

7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

@Spencer26

I am a sound designer and I know how to create a decent Kontakt Library,
    and I also know a lot about the sonic characteristics of good sounding
    drums since I am making beats for like 15 years – so I know a lot of
    breaks, compression and equing techniques as well.

Yet still I am very sceptical if this will work out as desired.

You need the right mics and micing technique, the right kit, the right
    setup the right room and the right gear in order to make it sound
    as lofi as it is. As mentioned before, tracking is key to this
    thing.

How many Velocity Layers and Samples are we talking about here?

8. BChrist

BChrist Member

I wish that I was able to help but unfortunately I don't have those skills. As a person who is always using various midi drumkits for my creations, many of them Kontakt kits. I can say that I would very much welcome the kind of kit that you are talking about putting together. The idea sounds great! I cant wait to beat them up. Best of luck to you, and most of all THANKS.

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

The drums for that song were recorded in a spiral staircase foyer area in a castle that they were recording in with a mobile studio. That is where they got that particular ambience/reverb/echo. (Bonhan had a new set of drums delivered, and he had the roadie set them up outside the recording area while he was busy. He went out to check them out on a break, played them in the stairwell, the engineer heard it (Glynn Johns?) and set up mics. As to where he came up with that brand new rock beat for that old blues tune, that's just what Bonham did.) The closest I have come to that sound myself is this: I live in a building where sometimes apartments with high ceilings and wood floors are vacant. Sat a drum kit up in there with hardly any muting, and smacked the tar out of them (highly technical percussionist talk). I set up a couple close mics, then a bunch of others in the other rooms. large dia. small dia. a mid-side, down the bottom of the steps, etc. Went back and tinkered. Ran some of it through tubes. Got a sound very similar with the right combination of stuff. Played a few beats which I go back and cut, paste and loop on occasion, and saved a bunch of "one hits" and other short parts I like to monkey with. I don't see why you could not do the same with a decent and loud PA set up running dry drum samples through that for a similar effect. Never have found a reverb or effect that sounds anything like it, plus, it's my own. but you need access to an empty large ambient room. And of all the one hits and drum packs I have heard, none can sound like Mr. Bonzo, or Buddy Rich, or Dr. Steve Gadd. And certainly no damn machine. They have no soul. Bow down. :drummer: Ha ha, you can get one measure of Allen Lee Geddes.

10. spencer26

Heres a couple of my Kick and Snare samples.
    I have been doing this shit for 50 years so I don't need somebody else to sample for me.

Attached Files:

11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

aw shucks, I've only been playing drums and hanging out in studios for 41 yrs of my 58. I guess you got me. OK, I listened. I didn't find your's any more closer sounding or interesting than mine. Opinions run rampamt here, so here's mine: I think the reverb program you are using doesn't sound quite right to me. The length/amount of sustain and the level of verb to drum could both be more. The natural reverberation of the rooms my drums were in are not quite correct either, but I used my kit with smaller kick and toms. My bigger sounding drums were elsewhere the day I had all my gear over in the empty apartment. And if you can't take satire, weird senses of humor, and (mostly) gentle ribbings and criticism, you may not like this forum.-peace. :mates:

12. spencer26

Yes but what you have to understand is that when it goes into Kontakt you can add more convolution reverb to taste.
    You can also EQ the drums to taste.
    Wait till I up the Kontakt file and you will see what I mean.
    Its a bit unfair of me putting up a non finished file. But the idea was so other people could actually try them in tracks and give me feedback.
    Spencer

13. spencer26

I have started putting the files into Kontakt as Studio 555 suggested. This was a great idea but I have had to learn how to map Kontakt. I am setting it up as GM mapping.
    This way you can just swap it with existing Kontakt GM drum files.
    It will take me another 24 hours to get it close to right. I will put it up on my server and people can grab it. But I don't want it distributed till a few of you have put it into tracks and left comments for me.
    I will then finess it and then it can be released to the world.
    Spencer

14. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

@ spencer26

Search out Groove3 Kontakt video's they will assist you in the mapping and other areas of kontakt.

15. spencer26

Thanks but it is working.
    I never used Page R used Steinberg connected via midi. I still have a series 3 in the bedroom. Has not been turned on for 15 years.
    It does not seem that people are interested in my Kontakt drums so I will just make the file and put it up somewhere.
    Spencer

16. spencer26

OK Here is my first version of the complete Kontakt Library.
    Please use and get back to me with comments.
    Do not post it anywhere yet.
    http://www.melangedigital.com/Sounds-Like-Led-Zep.zip
    Spencer

17. spencer26

OK I have now modified the file. I have taken a stack of reverb of the HiHats.
    http://www.melangedigital.com/Sounds-Like-Led-Zep-V2.zip
    You can now upload this file anywhere.
    Spencer

18. oidua

oidua Member

Nice bunch, Spencer!
    Can't wait to hear how they sit in a mix :mates:
    Thanx

19. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Thanx for this kit spencer.

This might be a little off topic, but might help too. When create a kit in battery, its easier i think to set up things like cymbal chokes, groups, voice amount per group. If i remember, kontakt can open battery, then maybe resave as kontakt instrument? Might be good way to make kontakt drums, since battery has things specific for drums. Any battery guru's around?