Learning the piano

Discussion in 'Education' started by Bunford, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

What's the best method for learning the piano and learning music theory?

I do play guitar, bass, drums, some basic piano chords etc, but it is all self taught and I cannot read music and do not know the names of scales etc and more just instinctively know how to play them. However, looking to make some more varied film score type music so want to make a conscious effort to learn the piano and some music theory.

Any advice on ways anybody else has use to teach themselves to play piano/learn theory that has been successful (and quick ideally!)?

Cheers! :wink:

3. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

im the same way Bunford, I understand guitars and drums.. but wrapping my head around the black n whites
    http://www.synthesiagame.com/ is one of the popular ones. but im not using it. a couple I am working on are
    a) just loading a nice video of a song I am working on in my daw, with a piano library. works pretty good that way and I can reach up and RTZ to the point im working on with a finger
    b) I like this guys approach shawn creek https://www.webpianoteacher.com/ and his blog http://www.shawncheekblog.com/ those are paid service but you get a person to email questions and requests

and of course there are endless instructional videos and youtubes out there

good luck with your piano jamming

4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Try PianoMarvel - they do have lots of lessons for beginners and even pros. It's also 'only' $12 a month, :)

5. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

another one I like is piano hack udemy, piano incredibly quick and easy shapes based system

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

perfect pitch and relative pitch course worked fine for me.

7. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

if your interested in composing ditty and having a software correct it for you, there are tools for that as well. notation and score checkers

8. Atick

Atick Member

I started taking piano lessons a couple of months ago, just half an hour every 2 weeks, I'm in no way proficient but I have started to be able to understand scales and chords a bit better, also having a basic music reading skills is a definite advantage.
    The book we're using is 'michael aaron piano course' grade one, it's pretty simple but there's enough theory in it as well to help you along.
    You could work through it by yourself but if it's possible try and get someone you know who can play to give you a few quick lessons and ask loads of questions.
    Once you've got to grips with the basics you'll be so glad you took the time

good luck

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Start with this one (if You like the style of course) :

It is the one I started with years ago... it sounds great on piano too.

It took me a month to be able to play the basics of the tune, and about half a Year to play it as Ray intended.
    The major challenge was to separate the hands; ...the tune is relatively easy

Concerning the theory... well, after 10 + Years of playing piano, and about 30 + Years of playing guitar, I still know very little theory :dunno: