Learning electric guitar at 50? Dooable?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by StormChaser, Jun 25, 2024.

1. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I definately know this is going to something for the long haul and not overnight and that I will not be some kind of god shredder anytime soon if at all but to be able to just play sufficiently that would be just awesome. Being an 80s guy to be able to play some of the fantastic 80s amazing solos would be something, doesnt even have to be that complicated just proficient.

2. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Appreciate the reply I think I would be in camp number 1 :)

3. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I always thought that Epiphone and Telecaster guitars were just cheap kids toys.... No idea why I have always thought I think one of my music friends was going on about them once saying they were not worth the wood they are made from, maybe I will take a serious look, its certainly a massive difference in cost not that thats a big factor in getting something that it right for you.

4. Colin

Colin Producer

almost forgot to add THEE most important advice.

learn to sing while you play!

multi-tasking will make you automatically more interesting to anyone listening, or at get togethers or gigs, and make you way more employable and in demand than musicians who don't/can't!

also re: shredding .... physically some people have fast twitch muscle fibre & some people don't. So that's an automatic bar to entry.

Developing a great vibrato is much more pleasing to the ear, and your own unique musical signature.

5. Colin

Colin Producer

also, learn on an acoustic. way more challenging initially to hold down those big chunky strings, but when you switch to electric, you will be super impressed at how much easier it is to play and how strong your fingers are :)

6. Colin

Colin Producer

lastly, if you are left handed, dont do what I did and learn right handed. thank me later.

there are some great players like Mark Knopfler & Steve Morse who are natural lefties.

You can tell Steve Morse is by the way he holds the pick in a death grip lol

7. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

There are many routes you can take to learn guitar. Aside from starting with pentatonic scales I would definitely recommend looking at the three notes per string method for all other scales and modes, I suspect it will save you a great deal of time and frustration.

8. EyelessFRL

EyelessFRL Member

I´ve played drums since im 12, now im 42, and i started to play guitar when i was 39, as a need of the band im currently playing. You are never too old to learn an instrument I started without a teacher playing hardcore and punk stuff, but with a lot of tutorials, then about 6 months after i started i looked for a teacher, to correct mistakes in technique and all that. My recommendations would be: learn easy songs, always, ALWAYS use a metronome, find the guitar that suits you to learn (the differences in scales matter in my opinnion, i started with a fender-scaled jackson, but started to progress faster with a gibson scale i bought a couple months later. After some time the difference didnt matter anyway, i could switch from one guitar to another without problems), have a defined practice routine. PRACTICE EVERYDAY, for the first year happened something very different to when im playing drums: i can stay away from the kit for months and when i have to sit behind one, i play like always, but one day without practicing guitar, and the next time i had to learn almost anything again. WARMUP. Dont look for speed in itself, look for FLUIDITY & CONTROL (speed without that its just noise), if you focus on that, speed will come alone. As a late starter, probably my progress has been slower than a young person learning, but patience and overcoming frustration is key, lower your expectations and be realistic, you are not gonna be shredding in six months

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

david gilmour played a tele, also a les paul, and a strat ,and probably a shit ton of other guitars.
    the fender guitar line was made by a non-musician, a radio repairman in Fullerton california. His ideas were in part made to be easily assembled, hence the pickups on the pickguard and the bolt on necks with a flatter profile that could be made from a single piece of wood, and using string trees to get the string break for proper tone, rather than a scarf joint and 2 piece neck bent back like the gibson models.

Gibson own epiphone, Gibson sells american made guitars and foreign made guitars. Epiphone does as well, both have custom shops, etc. Fender sells american made guitars and foreign made guitars. for all mfg's, the foreign models are cheaper to make and sell for less. Some are great, Made in Mexico fenders (MIM) are consider very good guitars.Fender owns Squire, an equivalent in many ways to Epiphone and Gibson relationship and marketing.

Fender and Gibson have made a tremendous variety of guitars, but are best known for les paul, telecaster and stratocaster.
    many of the other guitars are as good or better, and it just all depends on what you want out of a guitar.

one thing you will learn as you play more guitars, they are not like cars, or candy bars, they can vary alot - even in the same model and same year. some play better, some don't - even with CNC manufacturing, the assembly and set up as well as all the other variables make them differ, sometimes a bit, sometimes a lot. thats why its best to play a guitar before purchasing so you can compare them.

10. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

I just thought, it may be worth getting a professional setup. If you know an experienced guitar player that you trust it may be worth asking them about your setup and getting a lighter / setup shop recommended. Failing that maybe ask your teacher. A well set up guitar is easier to play (sometimes A LOT easier) and sounds better. The setup may change as your technique develops but a good setup, if not essential, does make everything easier and more fun.
    I hope you enjoy your new guitar and new musical journey

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

You know the face to face part is really important I think. Back in the day when I was taking lessons from Joe Bennett of the sparkle tones
    The guy was amazing. He was on the ED Sullivan show at age 15 with there hit black sacks. He taught me a lot. Now I think the videos are a great idea to start off on but eventually you need to be face to face so the teacher can correct you
    and guide you.
    I like watching Tim Pierce you might want to check out his videos / lessons also. He has an online course too.

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This I do with the D'Addarrio EJ16s. It's both cost effective and I'm not worried about running out. Martin dicks me around by not offering multi packs of Retro monel strings. I have to order them 10 at a time from a music instrument company in a neighboring country, and with shipping I still save 40 bucks an order...minimum.

13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Oh, and...fuck off Jordan Ruddess...stick to the keyboard. :rofl:

14. Bllyboy

Bllyboy Ultrasonic

Awh man, computers on the other hand, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near. I showed him in 2006 when he got his 1st Laptop the basic Windows system with folders, subfolders and how to transport files. I've probably shown him north of 20 times since then and he still can't get it.

15. darkwolf75

darkwolf75 Newbie

I just turned 75 and I started my guitar journey 7 years ago. I was 67 when I started learning and I am so glad I did. It still fascinates me and keeps me longing for more. lots of good advice you have already gotten here.... GO FOR IT!!!

16. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

WTF?? The Telecaster is THE Fender. That thing is all about business, and gets the job done and then some. Not sure where everybody got the idea it's some lesser guitar, or even 'twangy' 24/7. It's Fender's workhorse machine and can do anything. My Classic 60s Tele is probably the first one I pick up to play anything from Syd Barrett to Napalm Death, and it's still stock.

Epiphone's definitely had their ups and downs, but no way was I wasting $3k on a 60s Standard Les Paul when the $700 Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' version right next to it was just as awesome of a guitar when I picked mine up 2-3 years ago. Ended up going back and getting the SG Standard for $300 and it blows away the $1600 Gibson SG Special I had. You really shouldn't be buying guitars sight unseen online, unless you've had a lot of time with them in person. You need to get to a store and actually put your hands on them, neck shapes alone between 2 or 3 different models of Strat/Tele/Les Pauls will be a world of difference. Hell Strats alone are ALL over the place, wait til you pick one up with the 50s V neck on it hah.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

No, no, no!!! Whatever you do, don't buy a Fender Telecaster. It's the Devil's guitar and you might just wind up like this poor fellow who shot his old foxy lady because she left him for another man with a broken neck'd Les Paul. PLEASE!!!

18. Smeghead

Smeghead Ultrasonic

Epiphone SG for me. It's Satan approved, and at an affordable price.

19. fishnose

fishnose Producer

I started playing guitar at 47, went to group lessons with teacher.
    I'm a musical person, so the logic of it was quite easy, but the mechanics - the 'getting your fingers to go to the right place quickly enough', the muscle memory part of it, is what is difficult.
    Takes a huge amount of patience, you'll have to work hard and practice, practice, practice.
    At this age our brains are different to what they were at 15 or 20. The difference is considerable.
    But it is definitely doable. Good luck.

20. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Kapellmeister

Do NOT go into the "Stratocaster VERSUS LesPaul model" rabbit hole! .Not yet!
    None of them ist the "better guitar" ! . All that matters is what is ,what FEELS better for you.
    It doesnt have to be an original. There are plenty of good copys out there.(compared to the 1980s.)

So you have to try yourself through the jungle , to find out what´s better playable and comfortable for you.
    Thats why you should learn some chords , and try them on different guitars, by visiting
    your local guitar shop.

Then one day .... you will grab a neck.... and : *BOOM* -that´s the Right Thing.!
    -Just like you met the person you married :mates: