Launchkey MK3 88 USB dropping from Cubase 12

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by TekZ, Jan 27, 2023.

1. TekZ

TekZ Noisemaker

HI folks.

Firstly, this keyboard is not perfect. But it is value for money. I needed an 88 key at a low price and the bonus of decent DAW controls like sliders and pads was a bonus.

I'm a keyboard player since I was 6. SO yep I know there are way better and more expensive boards out there. For now though this will suffice.

Having said that. I am dealing with Novation right now, trying to help with the keyboard sometimes getting 'lost' from Cubase. The fix is for me to unplug and plug in the USB cable.

Has anyone else had similar issues with any of the Novation MK3's?

From what I can tell the keyboard shows as two MIDI devices in Studio setup. One for the keys and the other for the controllers, pads etc. I tried deactivating each in turn and lost the controllers, then the keyboard separately. Activating them again and all works.

But I still get this disconnect issue. And sometimes a freeze too. If I freeze, unplugging the Launchkey brings Cubase back. So it is definitely related to this keyboard.

It's not a deal breaker, just annoying. And I would love to have it fixed.

Cubase is latest version 12.0.52
    Launchkey is running their driver, latest version
    Launchkey has the currently latest firmware

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Are you using a USB hub with this, and have you tried different USB cables already? Does this occur when you are working on the computer or only when it is idle? Did it ever work or has it done this since you first got it?

4. TekZ

TekZ Noisemaker

Yes it is a hub, a powered one.
    It did work out of the box.
    But I did not do a very long session with it having idle time while I work on other things in Cubase. Once I started using it in my workflow I found it would drop the USB connection if for example I was mixing and not using any buttons, or keys etc. on the Launchkey.

I also am trying a different USB cable from my Komplete Kontrol M32. So far I have left Cubase open and idle, Launchkey is going into what they call 'Vegas' mode which is a sequence of colored LED etc. If I hit the PLAY transport button on the keyboard it wakes up and fires up my project. Fingers crossed the cable was the thing. But let's see..

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Not to have a solution but rather sympathy and perhaps a clue, I've too a Novation keyboard controller that has always mysteriously disconnected and which I need to do the same as you, namely turn it off, then on while then re-enabling it in my DAW. In fact just yesterday when I was auditioning Madrona Labs Virtu, the keyboard connection contiually kept being lost. In the space of about three minutes I had to reinitialize it 5 times. In this case Virtu and Novation were seriously at odds...Novation fought the lawhaw and the..law won.

No hub here.