[(Latin) pop] How are this Wisin guy vocals produced?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Matt777, May 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Hi folks! I would appreciate a little help here.

How are this Wisin guy vocals, starts at 0:45 (can be heard on countless other, especially latin, 100+ mio vievs songs) produced/ processed. If you can give me some tips (I get the harmony stuff, the normal use and abuse of comp, eq, dees, exc,…) so I would only need guidance if these are used as an FX. I’m not sure if there is a vocoder (or other similar fx) used too, or how this semi-robotic voice is achieved. (I see /w Ricky and J.Lo there is the “natural” vocal present and the robo harmony added, but they can sing, I guess..)

I’m used to work with vocals in totally different manner – using dynamic processors, multiple takes, doubling, transposing up/down octave, sometimes a little pitch correction and so on... with the end result being such that the end user doesn’t notice the processing, still the vocal sits well in the mix. Don’t even want to talk about how I got in to this… :(

Disclaimer: I am (unfortunately) NOT associated with the composers, producers or managers of this song so if you don’t like it please rape the dislike button ON YT. It’s solely a technical question.

3. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I'm pretty sure those are two takes, panned hard left and right. The amount of phase difference is then controlled by how tight the takes were, and how much editing was done on matching the consonants.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Thank you, I was already missing some obvious stuff

I wonder how they cope with it in a live situation..

5. Richk03

Richk03 Newbie

Unfortunately I've seen him live, he just "sings" all over the place and sounds really different than recorded, like most reggaeton artists.

Returning to the topic... I think on top of the two hard-panned takes on the vocal there is one on the center glueing it together (If you solo the mid section you can still hear the lead vocal really clear as well as some 'harmonies')

6. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Just the answer I was expecting. ;) thought they have some outerspace heavy machinery on their decks.. (btw, if you've seen him live - do they use auto harmonizers in live situation?)

I think there are more than 2 or even 3 takes. But we are probably talking about main "lines". I was once sitting behind a desk with a pro, and he was layering 6-8 tracks - different db, filtering, sends, comp.. - for a "normal" centered vocal of a girl with a perfect voice just to make it stand out.

Are there any special vocal fx added? I think this is auto (or midi) harmonized and the artifacts of this can be used as a robo-kind-fx..

7. Richk03

Richk03 Newbie

Didn't saw the desk on this guy's show but on a similar artist (Maluma) I saw they used an excessive amount of bandpassed background vocals all running through autotune and all the usual stuff (eq, saturation, compression, reverb)

8. Richk03

Richk03 Newbie

Maybe they use some formant filtering too but it was not visible

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

eventide harmonizer.