Latest production, any crit is welcome!

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by jei.doublerice, Dec 9, 2017.

1. jei.doublerice

jei.doublerice Newbie

Hello everyone! This is my first post. Here you can find my latest production, it's a Melodic Death Metal band that I recorded, mixed and mastered. Would be great to know what you guys think about it!

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, mate, totally overcompressed. Amongst other things, like in this case, this nearly always leads to a loss of punch.

DESPITE EXILE - Relics (OFFICIAL VIDEO).jpg

4. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

not the same opinion than No Avenger, I like your sound.

maybe the bass could have a bit more definition, I can't really hear it, and maybe the drums could benefit from a bit of widening, but otherwise..good job

the singing sounds excellent, guitars are good..

it's not my favourite genre when it comes to metal, so I lack of reference, but I liked it.

to appreciate things more we'd have to know more about the production set.
    :bow:

5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

It's limited too hard (which prolly wasn't even your call in the end), but still absolutely fantastic work & sound. :wink:

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

sounds great mate well done !

7. No Avenger

Ok, it was close to bedtime, so I maybe kept it too short.

With less compression/limiting you will definitely get more punch in bd and sn, that's for sure. It's also too ear fatiguing this way.

But: Well played, well recorded, well mixed! No doubt about that. It's a real modern sounding piece of metal and despite the compression I really like it.

8. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

No one looks at waveforms, mate.
    That being said, I totally agree. This is brick-walled into oblivion. No impact from anything, it's just one fatiguing mush. Makes me want to turn it off after a short while. Sounds way worse than Death Magnetic in that respect. At least that record had SOME impact.

9. No Avenger

It's a thesis one could talk about, but nonetheless it's just to picture the mess. More easy/quick to make than a measurement of LUFS and DR of the whole track (if you know how to read the waveform).

10. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

No one looks at the meters either :bleh:
    Look, I'm saying that because in the other thread people looked at the clipped waveform of a Nirvana song and immediately gone apeshit. While it didn't sound half as bad as they've made it out to be. Sure it sounds clipped. But the drums in the original mix were a bit flabby and louder than the guitars making the song sound less powerful. So you win some you lose some. Sure, it's not the best way to handle it. But it's not the end of the world. This mix is the end of the world. I really really advise taking that L2 or whatever off.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Kaboom

Kaboom Noisemaker

Agree with black bounty the bass need more definition but sounds good:wink:

12. Aceha1

Aceha1 Kapellmeister

Since this isn't my genre (hip hop) I just asked my nephew who is into this and he thinks it's super dope. So there it is!

13. jei.doublerice

jei.doublerice Newbie

Well guys thanks a lot for your responses! I totally understand who says that it sounds over compressed and limited but hey, you gotta stick with the standards. In this kind of music specifically people just wants a train to hit their faces.

About the bass, yeah, now that i have a new set of monitors (I mixed this stuff in September, made some changes in my gear since then) and the first thing that i noticed is that the low end in general is not really clear as i wanted it. Well, next time i guess.

Thanks again guys!