Large Diaphragm Condenser MIC for Vocal /VO recording under 500$

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by LeMec, Jul 10, 2017.

1. LeMec

LeMec Noisemaker

Hi all,

I would like your opinion and advise regarding picking a mic (large diaphragm condenser) for Vocal and VO recording works under 500$

Thank you in advance for your input...

3. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

DIY aside, I can recommend you to look up AKG P220 or 420, Sennheiser MK4, Audio Technica AT2020, Rode NT1A, Studio Projects and MXL mics. It's a kind of general recommendation for cheaper mics... Studio Project ad MXL ones give you great bang for the buck, in my experience, but I would save up for something better, less hyped and brittle sounding. Sennheiser and Audio Technica mics, for example, maybe AKG.

However, I tend to like dynamic mics for vocals... like Sennheiser MD431 and Shure SM58. For the genre I'm into they're usually the best choice.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

There it is! Been looking for that place for awhile. Plan on modding an MXL 770 with the U47 or U87 capsule to start with.
    But agree, MXL is a great place to start. Then, as you grow, you can do the DIY either piecemeal (start with the capsule, then after the electronics) or all at once.

6. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Aston Spirit

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

If you don't want to DIY, look at the Warm Audio WA87 for just above your budget. If you are in the US American Musical Supply will let you pay it over 3 months.

8. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Forget the LDC, Dynamic or ribbon preference... For $500 and under I would demo these. Shure SM7B, Rode NT1A rev1, Studio Electronics SE2000a. A few others but that's what I would scrap for with that kind of budget... Those MX series mice in my use have all been shrill and nasty in the sibilance range.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. digitaldragon

Yes, the worst thing about MXL is the lack of consistency in build quality, I've read. Luckily, the one I've got is decent, not shrill or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

11. Euphonic

Euphonic Member

I can only recommend one mic which is double your price point but if you save and buy it you won't be disappointed. I sold my two mics after I bought it https://vintageking.com/slate-digital-vms-virtual-microphone-system. Why have one mic when you could have 8 plus? Trust me after years of buying mics and trying to make one mic work on everyone ... this is your solution. As I said it costs 999 but will save you lots of time. I immediately heard the sound I was looking for when I pressed play.

• List
  12. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Orientate on this Mic's:
    Audio Technica AT 2050
    Audio Technica AT 4040

CAD e100s
    Rode NT1
    Rode NT1-A
    Rode NT2-A
    Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47
    MJE "Hulk 990"
    Mr. Grinch U87
    Warm Audio WA-87
    WeissKlang V13

Tipp: You can find some Soundexamples on Soundcloud...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I can highly recommend the CAD Equitek E100s (the ones made in the USA). Amazing mics for the $$$, and a great company to deal with if you ever need service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

15. digitaldragon

I got soooo close to buying this. I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with it.

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I don't think any software can emulate different mics properly [yet?] because a microphone is not just about frequency range.

Here is a very helpful website for checking out different mics: http://recordinghacks.com

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Pule

Pule Producer

Oktava MK319 best buy vocal LD condenser

18. TW

TW Guest

Rode NTK. Yeah i know a lot of people now say wtf rode really? For me the ntk is the LDC counter part for a sm7b. It works on 90% of the voices i use it. Nothing special nothing fancy but a great workhorse mic.

Otehrwise you have to test a lot of allready mentioned mics here. The mic has simply to suit your voice.

You should take a good look at new lewitt 440 pure. I have a lewitt lct 640 and if the new 440 pure is somewhere near the 640 in terms of sound (and lewitt claims this) this will be a steal for the price. Lewitt mics are really awesome. I sold my AKG c414 as i got the lct 640. It destroyed the akg.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. digitaldragon

Along the lines of the Slate VMS, has anyone had any experiences with the Olonga Mic Locker presets for Nebula? For example coupling something like this with a budget microphone. It might expand the tonal possibilities...

20. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I have an extensive mic background and I had the VMS for 9 months, the technology is not just software based..... the VMS is a hardware mic, hardware preamp and software that comes very close to the actual mic's, so close that most on this board would NOT know the difference. Until you test it for yourself, any posted opiniond about VMS or Sphere are just out of a biased ignorance.

To each their own, and ALWAYS test for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List