Language Apologies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Slider, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Slider

Slider Producer

The one thing that absolutely drives me bonkers, is the need people feel to always apologize for English not being their native language. Please stop!! In a multi-cultural site such as this, it's many times obvious (or not) that English is not someone's first language, but perfect spelling and grammar should not be an offense where people are ridiculed as we've seen before, or made to feel like they need to constantly apologize. IMO most these folks do a hell of a lot better job that I ever would if the tables were turned.

Since becoming a member here there has only been a handful of times that it was truly difficult to decipher the intent of someone's questions, but a little probing usually made it apparent what they were asking. There are several members here (you know who you are) that have been quite vocal over the years about their annoyance with disparaging comments made over the language thing, and can't say I disagree with them. So please...stop apologizing, it really isn't or shouldn't be necessary on a site where we all speak at least one common language.

Have a nice day!
    :cool:

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

I assume that most people who insult other people's English skills only speak one language. I'm bilingual with a little knowledge of a few other languages and I have to say, it's really damn hard to learn a language and people should be encouraged for putting the effort in.

Learn from the pros - feast thine eyes upon my prose! :cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Demon

Demon Producer

I absolutely agree.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Ecsactly! People shud not appologize for there lenguige or gramma! The perpes of lenguige is two convey thoughts. Sow if you understand wat somone is trying to say, the perpes of lenguige is fulfiled! No appologiez needed! :wink:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

A lot of Americans (and a few Brits) can't wield English grammar and vocabulary – not to mention puncutation and syntax – very well, and their not concerning themselves with such is infinitely more vexing to me than the minor inconvenience of second-language English.

The "beauty" (as it were) of English is that one can mangle the shucking fit outa it and still be undertood, whereas French or German forgetaboutit. If this forum were in French, a language which has a quasi-governmental institution safeguarding its integrity, most of us attempting to write in French would be coldly banned or verbally guiloutined by the native francophones. (Ta gueule!)

Even so, I'd much rather "tolerate" a non-native English-speaker's attempts to sincerely communicate than the phrases of some American who'd been cutting English classes to go smoke a bowl behind the gym in high school, or at least writes like it.

7. Slider

Slider Producer

@audiowolf If English isn't your native language I certainly would have never guessed, wish I was bilingual but never had the patience after I flunked German.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

English is my native language but I know French as well. I like to keep it a secret so I can tell if people in Le Squat d'Audiosex are talking bad about me :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I can relate to the feeling myself. I don't think people should be ashamed for not knowing English that well. I believe that for us, non-native speakers of English, it is a great chance to brush up on our language skills in a meaningful way. We are all bonded by music appreciation and audio production hunger. The way I see it, this place is far more tolerant of differences than many other forums around the bend. No need to apologize, no need for language trolling, either.

BTW, I'm Latino, born and raised.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. timer

timer Producer

There's a lingua franca/world language, everyone can use to communicate.
    The name of this language is "Bad English".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I am afraid many idiots still use the language barrier to mock others so thats why people do it i guess
    I have NOT english as my native language as many already guessed?
    But i stop apologize years ago because if the person who read it dont get what i read and must mock me for some silly reason he/she is an idiot period :)

What many native english speaking morons dont get is that not all country teach english in school and even if they do many skip it beacuse its not a LAW that everyone should know the english language and also many countrys dont have the same alphabet

I think every native english imperial bastards born moron that mock people for not speaking or writing correct English should learn Finnish in school.

Or even better Chinese

Chinese is the only language that should consider be a "world language" as approximately 1/7 of all people in the world speak Chinese and Spanish is nr two English is "only" nr three.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It's cool this thread, although I haven't seen much bullying because of poor English here.

Well, my signature when I registered here was true, my English was really weak. Long ago, and one year ago too.

In the last months I've put a serious effort in order to improve my English, and it's paying off. I usually make jokes overstating, so that leads to my current sig. Lately, people from several english forums and a few friends tell me that I'm improving and I don't complain :cool:

Oh, and I remember that back in the day, I actually did believe (almost) everybody talked English well.

13. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I'll be quoting you for this forever. :wink:

14. jhagen

jhagen Producer

tha's tru but please speak as you yo want but let me understand what's going on, I'm not native nor bright so fakking care, you know man, I dunno even speak correctly my native language but I have bucks $$ for bitches and druqs.

15. m9cao

m9cao Producer

haha I'm Chinese man, now Chinese building 'United of Chinatown', Chinese people can living in any country without local language skill in the future.
    Can you read my 'bad english'?:no:

16. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

may audoseks rooles:

1. dont fucking swer
    too. dont hev bed spilling
    fwee. not apologi for spel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. muaB

muaB Producer

Good point! we should still watch for correct spelling and good language!

anyways i really want to change the language of the board to german... or anyone knows any good german speaking music boards?

its cooler/easier /i like it/ to write in my native language.

18. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

we have a jherman forum on here, but there are trolls like me there so visit at ur own risk...

*ah zeez krazy jhermans* (yes its worth the warning, and yes i will sneak this in wherever possible)

19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I see it as somewhat akin to a guy trying out his new track here and getting pummeled up and down for how bad it is...

music is the language we share.... and English is the main conduit for sharing the knowledge in this site.. no more ..no less..

So take a minute to try to get the content, instead of jumping to criticize. We all have an accent, we all screw up in our
    NATIVE language from time to time, and we all started our journey on making music.. by making some ugly sounds....

judge not... not a bad principle.. and stay humble.. coz in one way or another everyone is lacking something..
    or..their mix sucks ! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
  20. Ash

Ash Rock Star

It is with great honour that I declare solemnly The Englitch as the only and official language
    of the Audiosex & Oz community.
    A idiom born from pain and tears of an international internet community in the common goal of sharing their passions and ideas far beyond the family circle.​

Audio Gods bless Audiosex & Oz.
    :grooves:

And you. Do you speak Englitch ? :rofl:

21. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I haf 2 agre

The other thing that drives me nuts is when, after every post people type their name..

as if they had just written a letter. :wtf: