Lang-Lang wants to play EDM

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by ShadowOfTheZ, Oct 13, 2015.

1. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Two days before the expected release of the new album of Jean-Michel Jarre I watched this video about Lang-Lang in the project.

I can't decide if it's a good idea to elevate EDM with a pianist or to humiliate the pianist with an EDM production on a stage piano...

Up to you to decide what you think (and watch some gear also)...

http://www.vevo.com/watch/artist/lang-lang?index=0

3. statik

statik Audiosexual

just because it's EDM doesnt mean it's bad by definition (well ok most of the time it is), i'd think it would be a nice change and might actually make for an intelligent piece of EDM. plenty of piano in electronic music anyways. so i dont quite see how it would be humiliating to the pianist

4. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Yes agreed for the sound of the piano.

But for the composition, not sure a pianist is required...

5. exr777

exr777 Producer

Amazing news.
    Now let's hope he actually quits playing classical music.

6. Always play for the song and it will always be allright. Lang Lang is a great interpreter of classics and his encounter with Jarre will only make him more rounded and enrich his personal musical vocabulary. The classically trained, to a soul in my personal and obseved experience, just do not have the tools to improvise which limits the range of their effective musicality. My dear friend Suzanne Teng graduated from Berklee as a flautist who needed years to break loose the bonds of her training to become the well rounded and jamming enabled, incredibly beautiful and expressive musician she is today. I once saw a video of Idszak Pearlman trying to improvise. Maybe the world's greatest violinists could not play as well as my 10 year old daughter, of course not his incredible tone and intonation, but rather what he was able to conjure from his own soul. It was startling to me. Lang Lang is young and has an overt, brash style and was more able to open it up and let his hair down. See for yourself...