KVR Audio forum bans users arbitrarily for critically examining plugins and using common sense

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hazen, Sep 24, 2021.

?

Does KVR Audio respect freedom of expression?

1. to some degree

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. not really

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. most definitely not

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

A KVR user go banned for mentioning in a discussion that the Softube Weiss compressor is based on decades old digital compression algorithms, that most likely cannot compete with newer developments. Another user, longtime KVR member. got banned, after he mentioned that the IKM Sunset Reverb is in practical terms just a bunch of mediocre room, plate and spring impulse responses packaged into a nice GUI.

I have the feeling that KVR Audio has become worse than GS in being industry shills and undermining critical discourse whenever users dare to critically examine audio plugin developers and their claims.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Just let them...I love AS.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I think that place is a jungle and mods can't keep up so they can't keep a consistent policy.
    It's also possible they have some hidden agenda when it comes to certain products criticisms.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. COVID-X

COVID-X Ultrasonic

Why talk about those shitty forums....

Having the beautiful AZ community and the wonderful Sister Site.....

6. recycle

recycle Guest

It is easy to note on KVR Audio their massive advertising load: there is direct advertising and also dress-up adv in order to simulate informative posts. Basically that website is like those annoying supermarket brochures that flood our mailboxes every week.

[​IMG]

In such a context I believe it is impossible for a KVR user to honestly review or support any critical opinion on gear and software products without going against the interests of their website business.

No surprise that you will be banned for doing that

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

KVR is the CNN of music forums, the scribe of industry.

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think that what an individual company does with stuff on servers they pay for is up to them.

I do not agree that a company/service suspending/banning/etc certain users is restricting your right to do anything. except use of their servers/service to do it. that user still has the right to do whatever they want. somewhere else.

if they purport to be some free open-source sort of thing, that's something different, no?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Cheers to the open source movement and Edward Snowden

Postives to KVR: I also have an account with KVR and can publish my sound banks there for free.

As with many big players, you sign the terms and conditions with a click of the mouse, and the free services take your data and market, sell or evaluate your data. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, you cannot use their services. That is neither democratic nor fair and is actually blackmail, you are using your market power. Google Facebook and other anti-social media do what they want. Only a proper court can put a stop to it.

The money for the advertising is paid for by the consumer, the advertising costs are already priced in. This means that you as the consumer pay for everything, including the company's loans are included in the final price.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

I don't usually get into posting on there but it's a great resource for VST's in the same way that GS is for hardware. Maybe getting into conversations on there isn't for you but I like staying up to date on new products coming out and browsing an occasional thread on thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Tangent...

The best way to say no to any company is to withhold ones tacit support through not spending ones financial capital. Every cent given over is akin to implying that you support their platform, be it destroying locally owned business in favor of a faceless multinational, fouling the water supply by fracking or any other malfeasance that corrodes our planet from both inside and out or by censoring ideas and speech on platforms that they control. It is hard to actually pull it off completely though and I myself am guilty of for instance promoting the KVR developers challenge. It is becoming more and more difficult to get around those huge corporations reach as they can borrow money freely and absorb means of production, distribution and especially communication in order to deliver propaganda in order to control the narrative.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/...ome/we-the-people/we-the-people-corporations/

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Full agreement, you have the perspective and I am glad to know many people who see it that way.

One should not cooperate with the oppressors and earth destroyers and not buy their products. The interest system is mostly to blame. If you have $ 1 million and you are lending out $ 900,000, a percentage of 10%. Then you loan out $ 990,000 again at 10%, then it's $ 1,080,000 and so on. Or you buy a house and rent it out, so you will get rich and the wealth will flow from the bottom up. Companies sell their stocks and bet and buy your stocks again. All of these derivatives (invented by bankers) are actually frauds. If you want to save the planet, you have to overthrow the corporations. Who can explain it all better is "Noam Chomsky".

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • List
  13. thedarkbird

thedarkbird Platinum Record

A very interesting read is 'Capital in the 21st Century' by Thomas Piketty. It's quite a heavy read because it's a scientific analysis, but he basically shows that capital itself accumulates wealth without the need of anything else. Or freely translated: the rich will get richer, and the poor will remain poor.

But anyway, straying from the topic :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

They also ban you, when you find loopholes in demo versions. Means not by cracking, but well when you actual find a way to save project data in a creative way. Been there, just avoid posting anything critical, vague sketchy.

Remember KVR forum/KVR page still needs the audio plugin companies by a lot, so they will do anything to protect them against criticism.

Otherwise there are good parts in the forum, which are full of good information.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It would also work differently, if every user pays 100 EUR per year, one would be independent of the companies. The money is used to pay wages and server costs. You would never have to watch advertisements again. My world is only bearable with ad blockers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  16. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Why are Americans so quick to throw "freedom of expression" at everything? lol

KVR is a marketplace, period. It depends on ad money to exist. By definition, it cannot allow freedom of expression, it's against their business model.

What's so shocking about that?

17. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

I think at this point I've seen at least 3 instances where people with decent track record (and sane and logical point of views) made other people "trolls" - because indeed they were trolls and the troll remaind active and they ot blocked.

To quote usa's pc police favourite saying "you are free to speak but not without consequence". We truly live extraordinary times

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Just use an ad blocker, half of the ads are gone.

And the forum is quite useable.

Also when i want to find some new plugins, i just go to kvraudio, its just a good overview - sometimes also has informations about protection. People give feedback about the plugin, Its a good page for information.

You have to filter reviews, otherwise you end up with BS reviews, if you look over at amazon for example.
    And most of the time, i just try the demo version for myself. I am not listening to blabla, this product is good bcs it contains hardware emulations or just brings the analog behaviour to the digital world (This is actual very time consuming and hard to code)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

20. recycle

recycle Guest

I am not criticizing the fact that they advertise products, this is their right. I am trying to explain why they do not accept critical views in the comments.
    In short: with one hand they accept money from companies, and with the other hand they erase any negative comments on advertised products

In communication, this strategy (elimination of dissent) is a self-defeating procedure: in the long term it damages the credibility of those who do it. Internet forums do not work in a one way direction as the television broadcast used to do. For this reason KVR has never earned my respect, I never use it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
  21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

In the printed newspapers it is exactly as you describe. Most newspapers are financed by advertising & advertisements. There is then no more critical reporting against the company that paid for the advertising. You can see that very clearly in musician journals such as "Sound on Sound" or "Computer Music Magazine", some of which are full-page advertisements. it is no longer a free press.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List