Kush Audio releases UBK-2

Discussion in 'Software' started by aleksy, Aug 29, 2024 at 12:33 AM.

?

What do you think of UBK-2 so far?

1. Visuals: I love it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Visuals: Looks alright

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Visuals: I hate it

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  4. Sound: I love it!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Sound: Sounds alright

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Sound: I hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sound: Haven't tried it yet

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

Just opened my e-mails and saw this:
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-08-29 um 01.23.31.jpg
    Kush Audio has just released the second, all-new version of UBK-1, aptly called "UBK-2".

Now, I have no idea how it sounds, it may be the greatest thing my ears have ever had the honor of listening to (or not).
    My first reaction to seeing the GUI however, was a legitimate almost-fake-puke and me exclaiming the words: "what is THIS?!".

Granted, UBK-1s visuals have aged somewhat poorly in my eyes, but its successor sporting this almost steampunk-ish, rough-around-the-edges but still, seemingly polished metallic appearance combined with a specific knob layout took my breath away in a way that was more shocked and somewhat appalled, rather than excited and euphoric.

I don't know what you all think of this, but from the visuals alone, it's not my jam.
    Like I said, it may be the greatest thing anyone has ever heard (oh, and the mojo and movement and groove and s3xiness...), I just wanted to share my honest first reaction to witnessing this piece of software for the first time.

EDIT: UBK-2 fully replaces UBK-1 in Kush's plugin line-up, as you are supposed to be able to use it in exactly the same way as UBK-1 but with additional bells and whistles. The more you know.

Let me know what you think, maybe you can confirm whether or not it sounds amazing.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024 at 12:40 AM
  3. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Platinum Record

I don't care. Whether about the visuals nor the sound. Probably that is the reason I am not a music industry billionaire.

4. ringthane

ringthane Member

I love UBK-1 so this was an insta-upgrade for me, but I agree... the old GUI didn't necessarily age well, but is so much more functional. The eXtremeâ„¢ 3D Skeuomorphic bullshit is visually grating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

Try before you buy

6. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

i gave it a shot. Its ok, but i think ill pass

7. 4096

4096 Platinum Record

I have some issues with this:

1. Version Consistency. The plugin looks unrelated to UBK-1 at the first glance, such a drastic change of appearance (also seems like they reused Silika assets for whatever reason) is not really great for users. Some people might simply discard it because it is just that different.

2. What the ever loving ... happened to the UI in general??? Why is the plugin name skewed to the left? Why is there a bluish reflection in the bottom right? The font is not that well readable either (although it is mostly ok).

In general it looks crammed and also just not great. Everything is in some way skewed and I just feel like I am looking at some "cool producer plugin from 2015." It doesn't look according to the price. But then Phoenix exists, so what am I talking about...

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

On the plus side, Gregory is very passionate about his plugins and as a consequence, watching his videos sweeps you away in a kind of euphoria, but in order of making much of a difference to my workflow? I cant say for sure as I haven't tried the demo (yet) but I suspect much like UBK 1. It was fun to try but not something I'd use!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

UBK1 is a staple in my drum's mixing.. but this looks like shit. Some kind of bad 90s game.

I don't get why their plugins do not match the tone and feel of their creator Gregory and his videos. It seems to me it's always about groove, warmth and vibe. This does not reflect that at all.